PDA

View Full Version : HappyDiggers TFC b78 server

InsaneJ
11th April 2014, 10:21
TFC Build 78 is upon us! Finally we can move on to Minecraft 1.6.4. This will solve so many problems every server owner has had :D

Work has begun on the HappyDiggers TFC b78 server. It's going to take us a bit of time to set up all the new mods and plugins and (briefly) testing them for stability.

Since world gen has changed in B78, the new server will have a brand new map. I'm currently pre-generating a 10.000x10.000 map to get players started. As with the current server, there will be no world border, players can go where they please. Things we'll be adding include:

Proper permissions so mods can do more to help the players.
Block place/break and inventory logging. This should help figure out who griefed or stole something.
Ban aggregation. Known griefers won't be able to join the server.
Ticket system so players can ask for support even when there is no staff online.

Expect the new server to be up in a day or so :)

Marius49
11th April 2014, 13:13
Maybe you can do a last server tour on this world before it will be deleted. Like you did the first one showing all town so you can make it like a before and after maybe. ;)

Roadie
11th April 2014, 15:19
Build 78!?! OMG dreams do come true!! I wont be on at all today though but will be around tomorrow, gonna spend some time with my pookie bear. :)

mdub
11th April 2014, 16:56
Oh yeah! new map, new TFC, more awesome! I will be the first to say he will be the best on the server, then get blown up by a creeper for getting cocky.... Ah TFC, how I love thee.

DOM
11th April 2014, 19:06
TFC b78.1 has a HUGE memory leak issue and will not be able to run as a public server. Until this issue is resolved, the current map/build will be used on the HappyDiggers TFC server. Play on!

mdub
11th April 2014, 19:58
Bioxx claimed he ran visual VM against build 78 for 20 minutes and didnt see a memory leak. Makes me wonder if its at all related to JMX/RMI.

Roadie
11th April 2014, 20:01
Hopefully All the devs gotta do is get some bubblegum under their desk to plug it . =p

InsaneJ
11th April 2014, 20:23
Minecraft doesn't show the memory leak when you press F3. But when you look into your task manager you'll see the Java process steadily increase it's RAM usage over time.

mdub
11th April 2014, 20:28
J, VisualVM is a JVM profiler, not a minecraft profiler. It uses JMX (among other technologies) to instrument live objects. This lets you view the entire JVM instance heap, not just what minecraft is aware of. Given that he said the leak didnt manifest, I thought it might be related to JMX. By virtue of connecting with visualvm, he mitigates the memory leak. But I am certainly no expert with JMX, and ive only ever seen the minecraft code maybe once... so almost pure speculation on my part :P Also, apologies if your post wasnt in response to mine, im totally self absorbed

DigitallyFidget
11th April 2014, 20:33
I'm personally hesitant about the launching of the new TFC server as public or in place of the current TFC server, and think it should be put to testing first for at least a week or two, for not only us to find any bugs with the server, but also TFC dev team to make any needed hot-patches if major bugs are found. With major builds comes major changes. Changes which often include bugs.

Given that many have put a lot of work into the current world and will lose everything in the new world, I think two TFC server's should be up for a while, allowing players to minic any builds and designs they liked from the old world. This doesn't include transfering of items of course, but merely to still access and see their own things.

Anyways, that's my 622. (Two cents)

mdub
11th April 2014, 20:46
Agreed Kat. Bioxx and dunk might have made a really addicting mod, but 'stable' is the last word I would use to describe it... historically speaking releases are like planned headaches, rather than feature releases.

mdub
11th April 2014, 21:24
Bioxx found it. Related to water plants. Fix on the way :D

InsaneJ
12th April 2014, 23:58
The new server is coming along nicely. Although it took more effort then we initially thought.

We switched from MyTown to Towny because we couldn't get the MyTown permissions to work reliably. Initially we didn't want to use Towny because it doesn't protect against Forge mods. However TFC doesn't use any fancy machines, mining lasers, quarries or magic spells that can manipulate blocks. So Towny will suffice.

We've changed the Towny and Lockette configs considerably and are now able to protect most if not all inventory items from TFC. By default all those things like doors, anvils, tool racks, etc. are protected inside of towns from outsiders. You can further set permissions for the plots you own inside a town to even prevent other town members from accessing them. If changing permissions is a bit much, you can also use Lockette to lock those things by placing a sign on them with the following on the first line: [private]

Right now we're testing the plugins for stability and if all goes well I'll put the new server up on Sunday night or perhaps Monday.

Cosby
13th April 2014, 01:18
The new server is coming along nicely. Although it took more effort then we initially thought.

We switched from MyTown to Towny because we couldn't get the MyTown permissions to work reliably. Initially we didn't want to use Towny because it doesn't protect against Forge mods. However TFC doesn't use any fancy machines, mining lasers, quarries or magic spells that can manipulate blocks. So Towny will suffice.

We've changed the Towny and Lockette configs considerably and are now able to protect most if not all inventory items from TFC. By default all those things like doors, anvils, tool racks, etc. are protected inside of towns from outsiders. You can further set permissions for the plots you own inside a town to even prevent other town members from accessing them. If changing permissions is a bit much, you can also use Lockette to lock those things by placing a sign on them with the following on the first line: [private]

Right now we're testing the plugins for stability and if all goes well I'll put the new server up on Sunday night or perhaps Monday.
Excellent news

Gwtheyrn
13th April 2014, 02:32
Excellent. I am really looking forward to this.

Roadie
13th April 2014, 04:11
Warroirsofcats an I encountered a bug with the stone anvils eating double ingots on combine. Ill leave a report on the tfc website.

This build also seems to require more bandwidth than the last, probably due to food decay. I have been experiencing allot of rubberbanding, War and Mar are fine though on that so it doesn't seem be the sever.

InsaneJ
13th April 2014, 10:05
Are you using a better movement mod? Because Towny doesn't like that and corrects the player location if they move too fast.

Think of it this way. On Forge servers there is no anti-cheat of any kind and you can "better move" all you want. On Bukkit servers there is a ton of plugins that have to do with anti-cheat. Towny uses a light form anti-cheat by checking to see if player movements are possible given vanilla Minecraft parameters. So if you use a mod like smart moving to double jump or dodge, then you might experience rubber banding because Towny corrects your location server side.

Another possible explanation could be that currently the server is running on my PC instead of the actual server server ;) This means it's running on Windows instead of Linux which may also affect server performance.

InsaneJ
13th April 2014, 12:28
Another update. Looking at the issues we're having when running MCPC+ and TFC, the current server we're building is looking less likely to appear in it's current format.

These are our known issues that seriously influence gamelay:

MCPC+ Player Inventory does not update after death
Reported here (https://github.com/MinecraftPortCentral/MCPC-Plus/issues/971) and here (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5313-mcpc-player-inventory-does-not-update-after-death/).

Anvils eating double ingots.
Reported here (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5328-stone-anvil-eating-double-ingots-on-combine/).

Hunger and thirst bar do not get filled after death.
Reported here (https://github.com/MinecraftPortCentral/MCPC-Plus/issues/976).

Bioxx has said (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5313-mcpc-player-inventory-does-not-update-after-death/) that he currently does not intend to spend time fixing issues with TFC and MCPC+ which is understandable. There's only so much time he can spend fixing bugs. That means we can either try to live with the current list of issues and hope the MCPC+ devs can solve the issues. We could wait to see if Bioxx might change his mind later on. Or we go back to a Forge only server.

Right now I'm really not liking the prospect of running a Forge only server. That would mean we loose the following:

No block logging. Can't prove who griefed something and no way to undo damage without rebuilding.
No locking of TFC inventory blocks. Anyone in your town can steal your stuff.
No ticket system. If no staff is available, your only option is to go to the forum and ask for help.
No ban aggregation. Known griefers can join at will.
No private warp points for players ("weekend warriors").
Moderators can't do their jobs. They can't vanish to check up on reported players. They can't inspect player's inventories. They can't kick or ban players. They can't teleport players. Only admins (OP) can actually help players but only in a very limited way putting more strain on our staff.
The ability to update plugins without server down time.
The ability to easily move spawn when resources around the current spawn are depleted.
The ability to easily regenerate chunks if they become corrupted.
A couple of others but I can't remember them of the top of my head right now :B

Thoughts?

Marius49
13th April 2014, 14:45
I posted a video demonstrating the anvil bug on the TFC forums at roadies post. The server I used contained only Forge and TFC, no MCPC+ or other addons.

Pernix_8D
13th April 2014, 15:57
The only real gamebreaker bug is the double-ingot eaters that are anvils, and from what Marius has said it isn't to do with MCPC+. I think people can live with the other two, as long as they know how to fix the inventory bug. Even with these bugs MCPC+ is still much more useful than Forge.

Roadie
13th April 2014, 16:34
I am not using any other mods than TFC and it improved later on that night.

I agree with pernix, will gain more than will loose using mcpc+.

I also talked with Katt last night and she was talking to Biox at the same time on IRC. It sounds like biox is going to try make the food decay configurable.
As it is, food decays weather your online or not which is very bad for servers. If this happens Katt is thinking we should up it too a RL week before food rotts, that way food still isn't a forever and later game trivial item.

An example of the food issue, you would have to search for it or prepare it every time ya log back on. If I were to play an hour before work , id have to kill a animal , cook the food and then,,,, oh crap time for work, food rotts while am at work and so on.

Gwtheyrn
13th April 2014, 17:21
Reading the github commit log, the next hotfix will contain configurable food decay and a reduced decay rate when unloaded chunks catch back up. Bioxx explains it better:

Added food decay protection that is configurable. As food sits unload…

…ed for longer and longer periods of time, when it finally plays catchup, it now scales the decay ticks causing less decay to occur. Once the player reaches X number of days where X is 18 by default, only 24 hours worth of decay will occur on the food. This change should have next to no effect for SSP players while giving some much needed respite to server players who live alone. Admittedly, this will NOT help players that live near each other on servers as the ticking will be going in real time. However, as those players will most likely be operating as a community, due to food sharing, the burden should be lessened.

This is a good thing, as food decay is brutal. Unfortunately, the team seems pretty dismissive of any and all constructive criticism. Their usual response being "you're doing it wrong."

Gwtheyrn
14th April 2014, 11:44
With the new version's change to the way rocks, nuggets, and sticks work, are you going to have to start over on prepping the new map?

InsaneJ
14th April 2014, 12:35
I'm not sure, but it might be a good idea just to be on the safe side.

Sverf
14th April 2014, 14:11
Since we pre generated 10000x10000 blocks already, I think we kinda need to restart the map.. Or there will be no rocks for miles.

Gwtheyrn
14th April 2014, 14:30
Six miles to be exact, assuming spawn to be the center point.

InsaneJ
14th April 2014, 16:42
10KM to be exact. Miles are based on someone's feet and you can never be sure whose feet ;)

I'm currently regenerating the map. A couple of the issues we had are solved with 0.78.5. Most notably the hunger bar gets partially restored after dying. The anvil issue is still present as is the inventory glitch after dying.

The server will now present players with a big bright yellow warning message telling them to disconnect and then reconnect to the server when they respawn. That should make it clear to everyone without the need of a spammy repetitive message. Reconnecting temporarily solves the inventory glitch issue.

Cosby
14th April 2014, 18:17
So are we close to having the server being public?

DOM
14th April 2014, 19:23
Yes WE (http://happydiggers.net/content.php?262&tabid=55) are close. Alpha testing as of now, but we plan on opening to the public as soon as the map finishes pre-generating a 10000x10000 region.

DOM
14th April 2014, 19:31
What the admins do while you want to play b78:

InsaneJ
14th April 2014, 19:32
What the admins do while you want to play b78:

Get ready for....

InsaneJ
14th April 2014, 20:11
Testing new TFC releases...

Trying to deal with the glitches that crop up...

Cosby
14th April 2014, 20:35
Checking this post constantly

Sverf
14th April 2014, 20:59
Is this the funny pictures thread? :D

Pernix_8D
15th April 2014, 03:47

Roadie
15th April 2014, 14:23
Solrykn informed me that the new patch is out.

Version 0.78.6
Bug Fixes

Fixed pre-78 dough from clicking & dragging it out of the crafting slot.
Fixed bears, cows and horses dropping item.hide instead of a large hide. The buggy item.hides can be used to create a straw & hide bed, and breaking the bed should give back the correct large hide.
Pheasants should really no longer lay eggs now.
Food Exhaustion now properly resets after hunger is applied to the player each hour.
Fixed meals sometimes giving the wooden bowls back.
Hopefully fixed anvils consuming output items and creating ghost items (bug may still occur on pre-existing worlds, needs further testing).
Fixed vessels showing items in the tooltip with a 0 stacksize
Fixed vessels crashing when a meal inside decayed out of existence.
Loose rocks/ore and sticks no longer go flying.
Cleaned up some console spam regarding knapping-like interfaces and using clay.
Fixed players spawning in trees.
Fixed bowl stack size disappearing from the food prep GUI in SMP.

InsaneJ
15th April 2014, 17:28
Server has been updated to 0.78.6. Enjoy :)

Solrakyn
17th April 2014, 14:28
Just to let you know that 78.7 patch is out

and Roadie... It´s SOULRAKYN in game :D

Sverf
17th April 2014, 15:23
http://terrafirmacraft.com/index.html/_/articles/version-0787-available-r35
Version 0.78.7
New Features

Added a Global Decay multiplier. This multiplies against the entire decay algorithm. Setting this multiplier to 0 will effectively turn off decay.

Bug Fixes

Fixed food decay indicator(the damage bar) not using the correct numbers.
Cleaned up crop seed return code and moved the agri skill check for an extra seed to only happen if the crop is mature.
Lily pad item texture fixed.
Can no longer pour molten metal into tool molds for incorrect metals.
Fixed kapok door recipe.
Added missing boat recipe for acacia planks.
Fixed making acacia supports consuming saw.
Ropes now display size / weight
Fixed spawning in oceans.
Red steel buckets now properly hold fresh water as well.
Wolves can be fed food to restore their hunger.
Armor renders properly while sneaking
Armor stand no longer renders outside the item space.
Chickens and pheasants cant be bred with pumpkin seeds
Shift right clicking vinegar onto a barrel of milk correctly creates curdled milk
Fixed meals not disappearing when you eat them with negative decay
Fixed meals not deleting when they over-decay
Fixed needing to shiftclick with Flint and steel to light the kiln
There are now female bears.
Double chests should no longer disappear when viewing at certain angles.
Fertilizer can be used on crops on tilled ground.
Using fertilizer properly consumes the item.
Crops who die from any method other than the old age config option will give a seed back. This way if you accidentally plant a crop when it's too cold for it to survive, you get that seed back.
Fixed unfertilized eggs having no weight.
Fixed pheasants suddenly becoming chickens and using chicken AI
Placing metal sheets now properly consumes them.
Rain is no longer factored into the environmental decay equation. This should result in a longer shelf life for most food. Rain was having a far far bigger effect on decay than I'd intended.

Tweaks

Updated localizations.
Meals should now also show decay.
Temporarily disabled the armor stand recipe. Can still be obtained through creative and old armor stands will still stay in your world. The code for these need to be optimized better than they were and a number of crashes were linked to them, so I've opted to disabled crafting them until we've redone this. No ETA. -B
Grass color reverted.
Caveins are now more common be default. This only takes effect with a config deletion as the default value has changed.
Forge can be created with charcoal block, or vanilla coal block.

InsaneJ
17th April 2014, 17:27
Server has been updated to 0.78.7. Enjoy :)

Gwtheyrn
17th April 2014, 21:20
Was there a config deletion to implement the cavein change?

InsaneJ
17th April 2014, 21:24
Nope, I didn't change the config. Still waiting on KodeKatt's recommendation.

Roadie
18th April 2014, 15:38
I believe bioxx made cave ins happen in a 4 block area around the player rather than the 20 block radius. Probably because you could lay torches on the ground and cause a big cave ins and collect lots of easy cobble/rocks with little effort.

InsaneJ
19th April 2014, 00:49
30/30, I'll just leave this here :)

Gwtheyrn
19th April 2014, 05:06
I believe bioxx made cave ins happen in a 4 block area around the player rather than the 20 block radius. Probably because you could lay torches on the ground and cause a big cave ins and collect lots of easy cobble/rocks with little effort.

No, I think it had more to do with cave-ins causing a huge hit to server performance when having to calculate all those blocks falling at once. The torch thing was already fixed so that falling blocks now break torches on their way down and the second was fixed so that even ore blocks will fall down too, turning them to cobble and you lose the ore.

InsaneJ
20th April 2014, 01:19
I finally managed to get chat to play nice with Towny. You can now use these channels to chat in:

general
nation
town
local

You can join those channels with the following commands respectively:

/g
/nc
/tc
/l

While you are in one of these channels, you won't pick up chat from other channels so keep that in mind. Being in the town channel for example should only give you chat from fellow town members. That should greatly reduce the "noise" in chat.

Solrakyn
22nd April 2014, 21:39
TFC patch 78.8 is live!!!!!! :P

Version 0.78.8
Bug Fixes

Added missing raw horse meat salting recipe.
Fixed salted tag not appearing on shift click.
Removed crafting of leather & knife to open leather working interface. This was the old way and was causing issues and should've been removed before.
Removed ceramic vessel:2 from the creative menu to prevent crashes.
Added food tool-tip localization for Amount, Decay and Salted.
Achievements no longer reset between worlds.
Fixed bloomery not turning stack blocks into molten blocks correctly when lit
Actually fix plum trees dropping apple saplings. Previously generated plum trees may not be affected. but all new ones should be fixed.
Wolves shouldn't despawn like enemies.
Fixed incorrect ItemMeal cast in FoodPrep which was causing a crash.
Fixed some food prep validation.
Fix blast furnace being unlightable with 1-tall chimneys
Added missing heat info for rich/poor ores
Horses should no longer use vanilla AI except where appropriate.
Inedible food should no longer play the eating animation.
Added some null checks to worldgen to prevent crashes.
Milking cows should no longer give ghost milk.

Tweaks

Ores now have a tooltip showing the amount of metal that they provide. Should help with figuring out the correct ratios with rich/normal/poor ore.
Plank blocks now stack to 32.
Sweeping change to how item temperatures are handled. Instead of using actual temperatures, all heatable items now store a 16bit short which tracks how long it has been cooking. This equates to the old temperature and to the end user little should be different other than perhaps cooking times. Because this is a short, the rate of temp change is now based on ticks instead of some complex math. This is far easier to manage for us on the back-end. I tried to do this change in a way that old worlds would not be affected. I think that I succeeded. If not then I apologize. The only issue that I'm expecting is items that have heat already when you update your world, may never lose the the old temperature tag. This should really only affect stacking ingots.

DigitallyFidget
23rd April 2014, 09:08
Server is now updated and running on the latest, b78.8!

Happy digging!

Server is now updated and running on the latest, b78.9! It came out a couple min. after updating to 78.8, hehe.

Happy digging!

Solrakyn
23rd April 2014, 18:37
Too slow :P patch 0.78.9 is out... :D

Version 0.78.9
Bug Fixes

The Forge should now properly cool down when it has run out of fuel.
If an item no longer has any nbt tags in its compound when cooling down, the compound should be removed, allowing stacking.
Fixed milk being auto-consumed when milking a cow.
Fixed plum tree crash
Fixed isBlockSolidOnSide check for slabs returning rotated results

Tweaks

Ingots now have tooltips for workable, weldable, and in danger of melting states.
Semi-reverted the item heat changes. Temperature once again uses floats instead of shorts. The shorts ended up being harder to understand. However many of the aspects which unified item temp handling have remained, so overall it's a net positive.

InsaneJ
23rd April 2014, 22:10
Too slow :P patch 0.78.9 is out... :D
Too slow. We've already updated to 0.78.9. I think it was about 2 minutes after it was released ;)

Solrakyn
23rd April 2014, 22:54
Darn :P

You got lucky :D

Keep up the awesome work ;)

Cheers

boya0910
25th April 2014, 09:31
One question, where the heck do I download b78???

Sverf
25th April 2014, 09:47
http://terrafirmacraft.com/download.html

boya0910
25th April 2014, 10:48
Thx sverf!

Solrakyn
26th April 2014, 16:21
Update 10 :D

Version 0.78.10
Important

Inverted vanilla minecraft chunk rendering via core mod so that it renders from the top down instead of bottom up. I expect this to provide a large performance boost as well as clearing up a number of chunk loading bugs that have existed since the dawn of TFC time. Most specifically, you should no longer see the caves at the bottom of the world before the surface of the world has had time to render.
It is recommended that you create a new world when playing 78.10 to get the full effect of the changes, but is not required. Since 10 changes a number of worldgen settings and makes trees spawn properly where they weren't before, there is a fairly noticeable difference in worldgen between this and previous versions.

Bug Fixes

Removed accidental 50x burn length for logs.
Getting the background rock for an ore block should no longer return an IndexOutOfBounds when it somehow gets wrong metadata.
Fruit tree saplings should once again use the correct localization.
Fixed snow piling on things that it shouldn't such as fences.
The firepit now properly heats the bottom slots which should properly allow for liquid metal molds.
Fixed rounding error when checking for freshwater at the players feet for thirst restoration.
Correct invalid plum sapling drops from 78.8, saving worlds with the invalid sapling items.
When it is cold enough, snow should be rendered instead of rain when there is precipitation. Although there was previously an implementation of this, the new method uses a core mod override the vanilla handling of this.
Meals can no longer be put in the ingredient slots of food prep.
Fixed Ice generating in a checkerboard formation as well as a few other ice formation bugs.
Fixed a major issue where all EVT layers were returning an evt of 0.
Implemented several fixes and optimizations in forest generation. The world shouldn't be so barren with only occasional redwoods anymore.
Caves and ravines should no longer cut through water causing ugly floating water.
Fixed a few blocks that weren't rendering all sides properly when next to another block.
Fixed support beams having full block sized collision boxes instead of matching their shape.
Fixed stalactite/stalagmite having full block sized collision boxes instead of matching their shape.
Fixed Stalactites and Stalagmites not removing themselves properly when part of their base is destroyed.
Bears should no longer despawn.

Tweaks

The gold pan now drops nugget item on success, so that success is more obvious.
Tweaked river ravine spawning parameters to no longer attempt to spawn a river multiple times per chunk.
Adjusted EVT and Rain datalayers so that zones with flora should be more plentiful overall.
Male pheasant should no longer crow like a rooster.
Lowered chicken max health to 50. Matches pheasant.
Tweaked the spawn parameters of a few tree types to be less generic.
Snow now piles up beyond the initial dusting at a much reduced rate.
The goldpan now operates on a grid similar to crops. This grid determines the types of metals available. Chunks have a 75% chance to contain copper, 50% silver, 25% Gold and 100% Platinum. This amount is only determines if the chunk can provide these metals, the chances to actually retrieve these metals remain the same.
Slightly expanded creatures spawn parameters.

InsaneJ
29th April 2014, 10:41
The server has been updated to 0.78.11

Version 0.78.11
Bug Fixes

Fixed clickable area of the food prep gui being too small, causing players to toss items from their inventory.
Fixed crash when splitting Iron Bloom
Fixed taming wolves setting their current HP to 20
Forges should no longer go out instantly when lit for the first time.
Donkey chests can be properly accessed now, no more crashes.
Scraping sheepskins now adds hides to the player's inventory on the client as well as the server and with the correct size.

Tweaks

30% slower heating/cooling applied to all metals
Meals now also cool much slower.
Added oreDict for Acacia planks. Fixes all missing vanilla recipes. Acacia can now be used in all the mix&match wood recipes too.
Made nest box GUI same size as log pile and vessel.
Breeding animals now consumes 5 oz of the specific food, not the entire item.

subwayatrain
2nd May 2014, 06:48
78.12 is out!

Version 0.78.12
Bug Fixes

Fixed armor calculations being offset by 1 slot resulting in useless helmets. *Possibly fixes wolves & bears not doing damage.
Fixed more server related crashes regarding food prep.
Fixed breaking ice always creating salt water sources.
Optifine should no longer cause crashes.
Fixed decay equation to actually be 50% per day as the default base.
Fixed the bow always firing at full charge.
Fixed touching barrels emptying into each other.
Fixed animals thinking they could path through fences.
Really fixed forges going out when being created for the first time.
Fixed red arrow placement in the anvil possibly resulting in impossible to complete rules.
Fixed arrow always animating in the casting UI regardless if it's actually casting the tool.

Tweaks

Non-terrible meals are much easier to make. Note: Past meal recipes may result with different taste values after updating.
Disabled redstone interaction with fence gates.
Removed unused tool-tip on hides.
Forges will have a static temperature of 2000 in debug mode.
Added chat messages to debug commands so it's more obvious if they worked.
Casting interface can now be opened with any liquid metal instead of just copper/bronzes. Interface can be used to cast tools using a full unshaped liquid ingot (same as before) as well as for combining partially filled ingot molds (both molds must be at liquid temperature). Added background overlays to the slots so it's easier to figure out which item goes where.
The config value of decayRateMultiplier now also multiplies the initial decay when an item is first receiving decay. Setting this to 0 will now also stop initial decay from adding to the item.

Two main things that stand out for me: They fixed the issues using optifine, and Meals should have a better chance of not all being "Terrible". Better meals means you get saturation when you eat. Saturation is the mechanic that keeps you from having to constantly eat, which seems to be a common complaint in TFC.

InsaneJ
2nd May 2014, 11:18
Server is updated to 0.78.12

InsaneJ
6th May 2014, 11:41
Server is updated to 0.78.13

This should fix... "The horse problem"

I just love that gif :)

subwayatrain
6th May 2014, 18:45
I like that gif too!

One other point: The fix may not fix already overpopulated horse chunks, so PLEASE!!!, PLEASE!!!, if you wander upon one of these overpopulated horse chunks, make note of the coordinates, then leave the area. Then, open a ticket so the Admins can clear that chunk. I Thank You and the rest of the TFC Server Community Thank You in advance! :)

InsaneJ
11th May 2014, 21:35

Server is getting pretty crowded at times. In the screenshot above we had 51 people on.

The server will now start kicking players that have been idle for 10 minutes. After 5 minutes you go AFK, then 5 minutes after that you are automatically kicked. This has not further bearing on your status on the server and should not be considered punishment of any kind. It's just to help reduce lag (teh luv) and so other players can get a chance to play as well :)

Takatifu
11th May 2014, 23:50
What is considered afk? cause i've been kicked 3 times and i was moving a little and pressing the bellows while melting some ores on the crucible. I was moving without exiting the same block, though.

InsaneJ
12th May 2014, 00:27
Well that's pretty much it. If you stay in one block for 5 minutes you're pretty much considered AFK. I think chatting resets the counter but I'm not sure. You could try something simple like /ping maybe :)

fredoduquartier
12th May 2014, 20:08
oh, are the 51 due to my plugin ? See told you I can make plugins that work with everything! :P

InsaneJ
12th May 2014, 21:18
It's because admins(OP) can join even if the server is full.

Roadie
12th May 2014, 21:22
Yeah if your blacksmithing make sure ya side step once in awhile. ;)

fredoduquartier
12th May 2014, 21:31
oh! ok, so you only want it for VIPs and Mods! I understood :)

Takatifu
13th May 2014, 14:34
I believe that the afk conditions are a bit strict for a mod where you can easily spend 30+ minutes standing in one block and staring at another one in the ground. Im almost always so absorbed while smithing that i forget to move many times.
Also, /tell command does not reset the timer

theubie
13th May 2014, 18:57
Move your anvil one block over so you have to move one block between forge and anvil. Your ingots won't cool that much with the added time and you'll stop being marked as afk.

InsaneJ
15th May 2014, 18:13
Starting tomorrow the HappyDiggers TFC server will have 35 player slots available. Right now the HappyDiggers TFC server is always populated. During the quiet hours there are 10+ people on, during peak hours we max out at 50.

As many players have noticed, TFC doesn't perform as well as we'd like it to under those circumstances. There is just too much going on and some mechanics(multi-block structures, mobs, chunk updates upon loading) are just too poorly optimized at this time for any server to keep up. I have long put off reducing the amount of slots because we, and many players, felt that it's preferable to be able to play with lag (teh luv) rather then not being able to play at all.

However due to the increased popularity of TFC there are now more active servers available for players to choose from. So I encourage players to visit those servers as well and share the player base across the community. I've always believed that diversity is what makes Minecraft great, and that also goes for different kinds of Minecraft servers :)

@Takatifu, I'm increasing the time before kick to 10 minutes. So in total you have to move once every 15 minutes. If that's still too short, think of it this way: staring at you screen is bad for your eyes, you need change of scenery every so often ;)

InsaneJ
16th May 2014, 18:48
PSA: please keep the amount of animals you keep to a minimum, they can cause quite a bit of lag.

This afternoon I saw the following when analyzing server performance using Opis:
http://i.imgur.com/eM9eT6p.png

It shows 1 chunk using 2.4ms of processor time each tick. Given that there should be 20 ticks in each second, one tick may last a maximum of 50ms. Out of those 50ms, 2.4ms was used just for that chunk.

When I teleported to the chunk I saw the following:
http://i.imgur.com/1TY4qxN.png

There were approximately 126 chickens in that chunk, using about 1/20th of the total server capacity. In other words, 20 of those pens would completely keep the server occupied leaving no room for anything else without causing lag.

Please don't keep any more animals then you are actually using. It will help keep the server as lag free as possible for all the players on it :)

subwayatrain
17th May 2014, 08:04
With regard to what J posted about the animals: From my experience, nest boxes allow chickens to breed fairly quickly. Multiple nest boxes aren't really necessary unless you're online collecting eggs for food. My recommendation to poultry farmers is to put your nest boxes up when you go offline, leaving just one box if you are trying to breed more chickens at that time. Just be sure to remove that one as well when you sign off once you get your chicken pop. to a reasonable level. Also, try to keep your pig breeding to one litter at a time as well.

theubie
17th May 2014, 08:27
Or, you know...cull your herds from time to time. Keep the total to under 10.

Takatifu
17th May 2014, 22:54
When you said there were 120 chickens in a small area i was thinking about 2x2 chunks or so but this is...
Poor Chickens.

InsaneJ
18th May 2014, 09:44
Some statistics for those who like stats http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

At the time I'm posting this, the HappyDiggers TFC server has been visited by 2110 unique players and send+received a total 5.6TB of data the past month.

http://i.imgur.com/RRnJkkv.png

I'm working on setting up a more detailed stats page which will show individual player's stats. Stay tuned!

RedCrimsonFire
21st May 2014, 05:58
Hello. I love the server and hope to be plenty active on it. It's great to find a fun TFC server.

However, is anyone experiencing connectivity problems? I seem to constantly time out as of today. Other MC servers work okay. Tried updating Java / restarting router / modem, fresh MC install and an update to router and NIC firmware... no luck.

EDIT: I've noticed some other players complaining of the same problem. Must be a bad hop somewhere. I can connect okay through a Switzerland proxy.

InsaneJ
30th May 2014, 21:08
To help new players find new lands with plentiful resources, Pernix_8D has setup 4 server towns: North, South, East and West. You can teleport there using: /t spawn North, South, East or West.

I have also put up 4 portals at spawn for your convenience. Just walk through them to get to your destination.

http://i.imgur.com/Nb0BW0b.png

InsaneJ
12th June 2014, 01:34
In an attempt to battle against the corrupted chunks that would crash the server, the following towns are now floating above the void and thus removed:

InfinityCraftPT
Derptopia
Nova
nikeybase
TerraFirmaLabs

Sorry for you loss guys :B

But if you are homeless and looking for a town, there are still 663 left to choose from http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

InsaneJ
17th July 2014, 07:10
Updated the server to the latest version of MCPC+. It's been a while since we've updated this for various reasons. Here's the changelog for those interested:
Build 1.6.4-1.965.21.89:
jdroque: Removed legacy getBukkitToForge method. This build also does not exist.

Build 88:
jdroque: Fixed config derp.

Build 87:
jdroque: Another fix to prevent hashCode check with null id.

Build 86:
jdroque:
Prevent hashCode check with FakePlayer GameProfile's that contain a null id.

GameProfile javadocs specify either an ID or name can be null/empty yet it
uses the ID in its hashCode method. To workaround this issue, I now search
for a matching gameprofile in HashMap, without causing a hashCode check, and
create a new FakePlayer if no match is found.

Build 85:
jdroque: Fixed derp in config. This build doesn't exist =)

Build 84:
jdroque:
Added configurable TileEntity tick settings. Refactored configuration.

With this new change, each TileEntity that attempts to tick will be added
to cauldron.yml under world-settings. There are currently 2 options for
each TileEntity.

The first option is 'tick-no-players'
- This prevents ticks on a TileEntity if there are no players in range
excluding forced chunks with chunkloaders.
The default value is false. Setting this to true will make it tick
with no players nearby. This setting should be set to true for
TileEntities that need to always tick such as ComputerCraft's computer.

The second option is 'tick-interval'
- This controls how often you want this specific TileEntity to
tick. The default is 1 which means you want it to tick every tick.
Changing this to a value of 20 would mean it would tick every 20 ticks.
Note: this option will only appear when a TE ticks. If the TE has never
ticked before, you will not see this show up in config. You can still
add the option manually to override it when it does tick.

The default config will apply to all worlds. If you want to override a
specific TE in a world, you would add it to cauldron.yml like the example
below :

world-settings:
worldname:
tileentities:
net-minecraft-tileentity-TileEntityChest:
tick-no-players: false
tick-interval: 1

* added TileEntityCache to improve performance overall with new config.
- Whenever a TileEntity ticks, if it hasn't been seen before, a new
TileEntityCache will be created with the data found in config. For each
new tick, the te config data will be accessed from the cache to avoid
performance issues.
If you modify the config, you need to reload by running '/cauldron
reload'. This will update the TileEntityCache so it works immediately.

* added caching for entity immediate despawn checks.
* Fixed many configuration bugs.
* You can now modify anything in cauldron.yml then execute
'/cauldron reload' to have it take effect in game. For other configuration
options use the '/cauldron' command.
* Added StructureStart NPE check to prevent crashes with broken structure
components.
* ChunkGC is disabled again by default. If you experience a high chunk load,
enable chunk-gc in bukkit.yml.
Note: as stated in previous commits, you may experience issues with mods with
ChunkGC turned on.

Build 83:
jdroque:
Added TileEntityCache to improve performance overall with new config.

Whenever a TileEntity ticks, if it hasn't been seen before, a new
TileEntityCache will be created with the data found in config. For each
new tick, the te config data will be accessed from the cache to avoid
performance issues.
If you modify the config, you need to reload by running '/cauldron reload'. This
will update the TileEntityCache so it works immediately.

* added caching for entity immediate despawn checks.

Build 82:
jdroque: Fixed config NPE with DimensionManager. Fixes #1333, #1335

Build 81:
jdroque:
Final build. Fixes #1327

The battle for GC being on and off is finally over, GC stays off.
Agarian Skies servers recommended to turn on. IC2, EnderIO, BOP servers
are recommended it remains off.

To alter setting, use bukkit.yml and change chunk-gc.enabled to false or
true.

This is the final 1.6.4 build.
jdroque:
Added configurable TileEntity tick settings. Refactored configuration.

With this new change, each TileEntity that attempts to tick will be added
to cauldron.yml under world-settings. There are currently 2 options for
each TileEntity.

The first option is 'tick-no-players'
- This prevents ticks on a TileEntity if there are no players in range
excluding forced chunks with chunkloaders.
The default value is false. Setting this to true will make it tick with
no players nearby. This setting should be set to true for TileEntities
that need to always tick such as ComputerCraft's computer.

The second option is 'tick-interval'
- This controls how often you want this specific TileEntity to tick. The
default is 1 which means you want it to tick every tick. Changing this
to a value of 20 would mean it would tick every 20 ticks.

The default config will apply to all worlds. If you want to override a
specific TE in a world, you would add it to cauldron.yml like the example
below :

world-settings:
worldname:
tileentities:
net-minecraft-tileentity-TileEntityChest:
tick-no-players: false
tick-interval: 1

* Fixed many configuration bugs. You can now modify anything in
cauldron.yml then execute '/cauldron reload' to have it take effect in
game. For other configuration options use the '/cauldron' command.
* Added StructureStart NPE check to prevent crashes with broken structure
components.
* ChunkGC is disabled again by default. If you experience a high chunk load, enable
chunk-gc in bukkit.yml. Note: as stated in previous commits, you may
experience issues with mods with ChunkGC turned on.

Build 80:
jdroque: Fixed server ping stalling.

Build 78:
jdroque:
Updated README.

Cleaned up some derp code. I need to sleep more and not work on
bugs I already fixed =)

Build 77:
jdroque:
Updated README.

Cleaned up some derp code. I need to sleep more and not work on
bugs I already fixed =)

Build 76:
jdroque:
Don't remove players if detected in wrong chunk location.

* AgarianSkies servers can suffer a big TPS loss with GC not enabled, so I
have decided to just keep it on like MCPC+ always had. If you experience
issues, you can set chunk-gc.enabled to false or period-in-ticks to 0.

Build 75:
jdroque:
Don't remove players if detected in wrong chunk location.

* AgarianSkies servers can suffer a big TPS loss with GC not enabled, so I
have decided to just keep it on like MCPC+ always had. If you experience
issues, you can set chunk-gc.enabled to false or period-in-ticks to 0.