PDA

View Full Version : The Best Towns of HappyDiggers

Pernix_8D
29th September 2014, 03:42
Welcome mayors, residents, and outsiders to the most gruesome competition you will ever see in your life. Well, no, not really. This is the competition to decide HappyDiggers best town! Each month, nominated towns will be judged to decide whether they are indeed the best town on the server. This competition will only involve towns on Happydiggers TFC, as it is our most popular server. The winning categories for the competition are:

Biggest Town - Has the most residents.
Most Visually Appealing Town - The town that is the best looking.
Most Advanced Town - The town that is the furthest down the technology tree (and has the most of the best stuff).
The Richest Town - The town that could literally fund the rest of the server with its metal reserves (only if it wanted to, of course;)).
Overall Best Town - Town that displays a combination of the three above categories. Doesn't have to win any of the above categories to qualify for Overall Best Town.

As well as having your town's name displayed as a winner any of the categories at TFC spawn and on this thread, towns that win any of the first three categories five times in a row will win a Diamond block to display in their town. Towns that win the 'Overall Best Town' award three times in a row win a Dragon Egg to display in their town.

Any town can be nominated by any player (nominated towns qualify for all categories). It is that simple. Nominated towns (and their mayors) will be listed here:

Sherton - tenterro
oban - Kousiosachilleas
Oldsmobilia - DocOlds
Lake_side - Osifron
The_IronHills - diddydanny12
Macarena - LosHermanosMC
Highrock - RainnMannx
Rosewood
TheBORG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Competition (HD MC)

[October, 2014]

The winners of this month's judging are:

Biggest Town - Darius (Mayor: Jiro_89)
Most Advanced Town - Darius (Mayor: Jiro_89)
Most Visually Appealing Town - Ashford (Mayor: reactivebuilder)
Overall Best Town - Darius (Mayor: Jiro_89)

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1135&stc=1&d=1411951245

Well done to the towns of Darius and Ashford!

[November, 2014]

Most Advanced Town - Mishrak (Mayor: cliffs)
Overall Best Town - Mishrak (Mayor: cliffs)

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1372&stc=1&d=1415357394

Congratulations to the towns of Darius, Mishrak and Ashford!

[December, 2014]

[December, 2014]

Most Visually Appealing Town - Darius (Mayor: Jiro_89)

[IMG]Forgot to take screenshot but too lazy to log back on[IMG]

Congratulations to the mayors of Darius, Darius, Darius, and Darius!

ethe334
30th September 2014, 12:55
Fixed it
[October, 2014]

Biggest Town - Adminerino (Mayor: ethe334)
Most Advanced Town - Adminerino (Mayor: ethe334)
Most Visually Appealing Town - Adminerino (Mayor: ethe334)
Overall Best Town - Adminerino (Mayor: ethe334)

Well done to the towns of Admerino!

Pernix_8D
30th September 2014, 13:07
http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1154&stc=1&d=1412071604

cliffs
30th September 2014, 13:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9lg6HqJeY0

InsaneJ
30th September 2014, 14:50
http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1155&stc=1

Jiro_89
30th September 2014, 22:09
Here's a sneak peak of the inner workings of Darius. You too can become Best Town.

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1156&stc=1

Pernix_8D
7th November 2014, 12:50
[November, 2014]

Most Advanced Town - Mishrak (Mayor: cliffs)
Overall Best Town - Mishrak (Mayor: cliffs)

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1372&stc=1&d=1415357394

Congratulations to the towns of Darius, Mishrak and Ashford!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not related to the above:

I'm debating on whether to add another prize of this whole thing. It'll be for being awarded 'Overall Best Town' however many times in a row. The reward will be a command block (which are useless as they are disabled), or something else that can't be obtained in survival, but it'll be something cosmetic, so it can be displayed as a trophy.

Share your thoughts. There aren't many towns currently on the server, and fewer still that are active. Complicates things a bit.

InsaneJ
7th November 2014, 13:03
I think it's a good idea :)

How about making this a HappyDiggers wide thing? Soon the new TFC server will be up which should get plenty of new towns. The current b78 server has 1200 or so towns on it.

Pernix_8D
8th December 2014, 07:49
[December, 2014]

Most Visually Appealing Town - Darius (Mayor: Jiro_89)

[IMG]Forgot to take screenshot but too lazy to log back on[IMG]

Congratulations to the mayors of Darius, Darius, Darius, and Darius!

Jiro_89
8th December 2014, 07:53
http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1420&stc=1

Heptagon_ru
8th December 2014, 08:51
As a proud :elmo: member of town Darius, who invested into the town's prosperity by explicitly letting to redevelop the ugly ruins on my town plot and not coming to the server any more and therefore not preventing town's development, I want to congratulate the mayor Jiro_89 with these remarkable achievements and wish him to exceed them next month by winning in five categories somehow. ;)
Eh, I have plans to visit MC to see that new Darius look for few weeks already :( But so many roads are unfinished on TFC b79 ... :-P

LegendOfAir
8th December 2014, 09:21
http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1421&stc=1

Pernix_8D
28th January 2015, 12:23
As of now, this thread will be used for both HappyDiggers MC and TFC. As the number of towns between each of these servers is very high, I can't manually go through and check them all like I've done previously. So, I ask that towns are nominated for the best town by either owners or other players. If a town is not nominated it will not be judged.

I'll keep the categories the same for now, and see how it works with TFC. As a reminder, here they are:

Biggest Town - Has the most residents.
Most Visually Appealing Town - The town that is the best looking.
Most Advanced Town - The town that is the furthest down the technology tree (and has the most of the best stuff).
Overall Best Town - Town that displays a combination of the three above categories. Doesn't have to win any of the above categories to qualify for Overall Best Town.

A trophy block (eg A Diamond Block for example) will be given out to towns that have won 'Overall Best Town' three (up for change, though) times in a row. Also prizes for winning any other category 5 times in a row will be awarded to towns. (Also your town will be promoted if you win any category. :P)

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Please nominate any towns you think might win. Also, I encourage mayors/assistants to post a thread for their town in this section of the forum. Gives it some more use, and promotes your town even further. :)

Jiro_89
28th January 2015, 12:32
DARIUS Auto wins January :3

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1639&stc=1

Pernix_8D
28th January 2015, 12:38
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58552710.jpg

InsaneJ
28th January 2015, 12:46
I changed the topic title and added an announcement to the server's auto announcer.

Also congrats on the Chunk Norris :)

tenterro
29th January 2015, 13:57
Well, I nominate my town Sherton to "Most Visually Appealing Town" :D

Marius49
29th January 2015, 16:42
I nominate my town for the "Best Non-existent Town Ever"!

Even Jiro can't take this one unless.... Darius falls into ruins :P

Pernix_8D
30th January 2015, 06:43
Sherton had been added to the nominee list. Nominated towns qualify for all categories, so there is no need to specify which one you want to be judged in. Sorry that I didn't make this clear in the first post (I've added this info in). :)

Jiro_89
30th January 2015, 06:59
So I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, but if all we're relying on is nominating then won't the total nominees of towns be very small compared to the net count on the server? Also, is it fair to compare the MC server to the TFC server? I'm just concerned given the ease of access to building materials + flight on the MC server compared to the grueling fight for your life/resources on the TFC server.

Pernix_8D
30th January 2015, 10:18
Didn't put much thought into the transition, so yeah, you're probably right on both of those things. I'll add well known towns to the list (Well known as in I know them :P). That should be enough to work with at the beginning. Any towns I don't add can be nominated by players.

As for including the MC server... That was auto-pilot kicking in lol. I have no idea why I included it. Since no one barely plays on MC anymore (Unfortunately :L) I'll remove it from the competition.

Skrar
5th February 2015, 09:12
edit to the town list: rouge is no longer mayor so its DragonsKeep now :P and i nominated? xD thx

Pernix_8D
5th February 2015, 12:34
Town - Mayor.

Thanks for the update. I also nominated a bunch of towns myself since no one else seemed to be doing it. :P

Jiro_89
7th February 2015, 04:52
I nominate:

Oldsmobilia
Rosewood
HighRock
Sherton
Llamafarm
Lake_Side

tenterro
8th February 2015, 17:07
I suggest to add nomination "The most rich town".
Town should build gold treasury and store there gold ingots. Who has more ingots gets a golden vanilia block for example =)

Marius49
8th February 2015, 20:22
I suggest to add nomination "The most rich town".
Town should build gold treasury and store there gold ingots. Who has more ingots gets a golden vanilia block for example =)

Have you ever seen the vault I had on the last server? If they beat that they can get the prize :P

Jiro_89
8th February 2015, 21:39
I also nominate TheBORG town.

Jiro_89
14th March 2015, 08:21
*looks around*

Pernix_8D
14th March 2015, 12:09
Added the above towns to the list and also added 'Richest Town' as a category (Thanks tent :D).

Pernix_8D
15th March 2015, 01:52
[March, 2015]

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1796&stc=1&d=1426377627

Scoring:

Sherton: 1/10/7/5 Total: 23/40 (Only 1 resident, High detailed marble builds, Large scale builds, Very neat layout, Massive gardens, Set colour scheme, Red steel and required structures to make it, Many sets of Bronze/Copper/Iron armour, Gems on display, Small amount of useful low-high end metals on display, Large amount of gold)

Dragonskeep: 10/4/8/3 Total: 25/40 (56 residents, low-high detailed structures, Messy town layout, ugly incomplete builds, Lack of coordinated colour schemes across town, Red steel and required structures to make it, 2 sets of visible Red steel armour, Visible High-end tools, Small amount of low end metals on display)

Oldsmobilia: 2/9/8/7 Total: 26/40 (5 residents, Low-medium detailed structures, Natural layout, Colourful gardens etc, Set colour scheme, Large scale builds, Red and Blue steel and required structures to make it, Large amounts of high-end tools on display, Redstone devices, High amount of low end metals on display, Small amount of medium-high end metals on display)

TheBORG: 1/8/7/5 Total: 21/40 (Only 1 resident, High detailed structures, Neat layout, Large scale build, Blue steel and required structures to make it, Small amount of high-end tools on display, Redstone-based charcoal pit, simple rail line for decoration, very small amount of low-end metals on display, very low amount of high-end metals on display)

Rosewood: 1/9/4/1 Total: 15/40 (3 residents, Medium detailed structures, Neat and natural layout, Very good use of colour, Steel and required structures to make it, very small amount of low-end metals on display)

Llamafarm: 1/5/9/10 Total: 25/40 (3 residents, Low detailed builds, large scale build, messy layout, very basic colour schemes, Llamas, Red and Blue steel and required structures to make it, 2 blast furnaces, Large redstone devices, Very high amounts of low and high end metals on display)

oban: 2/4/4/4 Total: 14/40 (9 residents, Low detailed builds, neat layout, somewhat messy colour schemes, Steel and required structures to make it, medium amounts of low-end metals)

Lake_Side: 4/8/7/7 Total: 26/40 (17 residents, Low-High detailed builds, Neat and natural layout, Good use of colour, Large scale build, Red and Blue steel and required structures to make it, Medium amounts of high end tools on display, Rail lines employed, Small amount of low end metals on display, Medium amounts of medium-high end metals on display)

Highrock 10/5/5/2 Total: 22/40 (53 residents. It’s a town organized by plots and is linear which is nice but there are a lot of problem houses and unfinished areas. The town does have public anvils showing max tiered status but I can’t find any boasting of materials or visible ingots. They’re probably hiding in basements. I don’t see any obvious devices, though they have many learning and community stations)

Here are the winners of this month's judging:

The Largest Town - DragonsKeep (Mayor: XxEndergirl7xX)

The Most Visually Appealing Town - Sherton (Mayor: tenterro)

The Most Advanced Town - Llamafarm (Mayor: Commiellama2)

The Richest Town - Llamafarm (Mayor: Commiellama2)

The Overall Best Town - OldsMobilia (Mayor: Docolds) and Lake_Side (Mayor: Osifron)

Congrats to the above towns!

InsaneJ
2nd April 2015, 09:48
To give even more incentive to towns, how about we create a hall of heroes next to spawn where last month's winners get a larger than life statue?

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1879&stc=1

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1880&stc=1

I know manually creating those statues is a lot of work. So I suggest we use the tools already installed on the server to do this in a more convenient fashion. Pernix I'm sure you can figure out how it works :) (hint: skins)

Pernix_8D
24th April 2015, 15:31
Removed several inactive towns from the nomination list. Will also include HC towns in their own category, "Best HC Town".

Pernix_8D
24th April 2015, 16:08
[April, 2015]

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2025&stc=1&d=1429880882

Scoring:

OldsMobilia - 2/9/8/10 (Total :: 29/40)

Sherton - 1/10/7/7 (Total :: 25/40)

HighRock - 10/6/5/3 (Total :: 24/40)

Rosewood - 1/9/4/1 (Total :: 15/40)

TheBORG - 1/8/7/5 (Total :: 21/40)

Lake_Side - 4/9/7/7 (Total :: 27/40)

he Largest Town - HighRock (Mayor :: Rainnmannx)

The Most Visually Appealing Town - Sherton (Mayor :: tenterro)

The Most Advanced Town - Oldsmobilia (Mayor :: DocOlds)

The Richest Town - OldsMobilia (Mayor :: DocOlds)

The Overall Best Town - OldsMobilia (Mayor :: DocOlds)

Congratulations to the above towns! The statues of the mayors will be added to the Hall of Fame soon! Access to the hall will be granted when its finished. :3

I'll also give the HC towns another month before I judge for the new category which has been added. Gives willing towns time to prepare.

tenterro
22nd July 2015, 13:28
No more best towns? =(

Pernix_8D
22nd July 2015, 14:36
Sorry! I've been really slack! To be fair I've been fairly busy for the last few months, but still, I've just been putting it off. :P

There will be an August one! I promise!

Jiro_89
22nd July 2015, 22:38
As history has shown it's difficult to run the best town awards monthly and the fact that much of the staff has been busy recently doesn't help. Perhaps we should change the duration to three months meaning every three months we can do the competition. Another big issue is the activity though. We haven't received any nominations and the last competition required the staff to nominate the majority of the towns.

Pernix_8D
23rd July 2015, 00:58
Mmmm, yeah. That's probably for the best. Especially since there is often not that much change to most of the towns between the months. We also need people to nominate towns, because we can't keep on doing it. :P

I'll still do one in August, but will start the three month thing during September, meaning there'll also be one then.

InsaneJ
23rd July 2015, 09:19
How about: "Town of the month"?

It doesn't have to be "best" at anything. Just a nice town that gets highlighted because it's been active and the people there are friendly?

Pernix_8D
23rd July 2015, 12:31
Well since its only happening every three months it should be "Town of every third month". :p

Heptagon_ru
23rd July 2015, 12:48
Should it necessarily be some official award given by staff? Can it be just some personal impressions, in a very casual style, in a forum thread, so any person could first enjoy reading the description and then visit the town themselves? Not only towns - roads, outposts, ...
E.g. I would enjoy reading Tenterro's notes about towns he visits these days.

For me it would be a nice addition to the game itself. I can't play much, at least will read some. :)

Unfortunately, I can't think of a story to start the thread by myself, because don't visit towns much these days. I remember how consuming this activity was on b78 server, so try to avoid it here for now :)))

Pernix_8D
23rd July 2015, 13:26
Isn't that what this whole forum sub-section is for :P? Don't get me wrong, I don't really mind what this becomes. I would love to have everyone join in! It'd be pretty awesome if it were to happen. :)

Heptagon_ru
23rd July 2015, 13:46
Isn't that what this whole forum sub-section is for :P?

Oops :) U r 100% right, I missed this :)
Interesting, all the posts in the Towns sub-section are related to b78 server. :(

Pernix_8D
23rd July 2015, 13:49
Yeah. That's the bad part. :( No one ever posts stuff here.

tenterro
27th July 2015, 01:42
Yeah. That's the bad part. :( No one ever posts stuff here.

I've posted some pictures of my town. :)

azariven
24th March 2016, 06:33
when is the competition for the new server?

I'm pretty confident that haven_nova will win for most population and most advanced.
I mean, come on, a hex-blaster and a nona-array of bloomeries?

Elbe97
12th May 2016, 12:42
Yeah, this kind of competition would be lovely. Even though the freebie server is a bit inactive recently, I think a couple of towns would take part :) The "best towns" noticeboard at the spawn is sooo empty :))))

InsaneJ
14th May 2016, 19:07
Pernix is no longer an admin with us. I just haven't gotten around to changing his user status on the servers and forum yet :B

Pernix is busy with university, you can read more about it in his blog post here (http://happydiggers.net/entry.php?966-Putting-this-blog-page-to-use-I-m-baaaaaaaack).

I like the idea of having the "competition" running on the new servers. Question is, can we find a staff member willing to post regular updates and grade all the towns? Any volunteers? :)

Pernix_8D
18th May 2016, 16:38
Even when I wasn't busy doing school again I was starting to put off doing this :3 As awesome as it was looking at everyone's towns it began to get tedious and did take up a fair amount of time.

Anyway, might be good to start posting threads on this forum section about your towns and keep them updated. Always a good way to get attention. Especially from staff ;) Might even inspire others to do the same, and might even spark the restart of the competition hahaha