PDA

View Full Version : Hard Core TFC Development Thread

Jiro_89
10th October 2014, 21:25
A new thread has been created to specifically cater to the Hard Core Application. Visit Hard Core Whitelist Application (http://happydiggers.net/showthread.php?1669-Hard-Core-Whitelist-Application) to apply for HC membership. Information about HC membership and what it entails can be found there.

If you run into any problems or have any questions feel free to reply to this thread or private message me.

Metamorfos
10th October 2014, 21:42
The caveat to this though is that normal members (non HC group) won’t be allowed onto the continent.

By they are still allowed to wander around on it, right?

Jiro_89
10th October 2014, 22:00
By they are still allowed to wander around on it, right?

At this point in time no. That is dependent on how the area is protected though. My first idea being the simplest would be to have a barred out border around the Hard Core area not allowing normal members in with the inside being completely vanilla to allow for towny usage and claiming.

Another idea would be to simply claim the entire area under a "Hard Core Town" or something like that so HC members could use the things and non-HC members couldn't. The only problem this presents is HC members wouldn't be able to claim the specific parts of it as their own.

Another option would be some sort of plugin or server permission not allowing non-HC members the ability to break/use things in the HC area. This would be best, but my knowledge of what is available and what isn't for that sort of thing is fairly limited.

tremen2
10th October 2014, 22:18
Love how you have transformed our "dream" into something viable Jiro.
Im joining the HC group! :o
now, could we have some sort of title in-game that distinguishes us from the rest of players? like an "HC" next to our name? it would be a good way of differentiating the group from normal players...

one last thing, Will townie "create a town" sort of thing exist in this continent for us?

tremen222

Jiro_89
10th October 2014, 22:30
now, could we have some sort of title in-game that distinguishes us from the rest of players? like an "HC" next to our name? it would be a good way of differentiating the group from normal players...

one last thing, Will townie "create a town" sort of thing exist in this continent for us?

tremen222

Yes, similar to the Small World group on the HD Minecraft server, the Hard Core group will feature a [HC] next to the player's name in chat designating their group affiliation.

The towny usage on the HC island is still in debate as you can see in my previous post. I'd like to have it used so that people could still run their own towns and protect their items. It really comes down to how the HD area will be separated from the normal members. When we have a solid idea of how that will work, we can figure out a way to incorporate claims and protections, probably in the form of towny and lockette.

tremen2
10th October 2014, 22:40
Yes, similar to the Small World group on the HD Minecraft server, the Hard Core group will feature a [HC] next to the player's name in chat designating their group affiliation.

The towny usage on the HC island is still in debate as you can see in my previous post. I'd like to have it used so that people could still run their own towns and protect their items. It really comes down to how the HD area will be separated from the normal members. When we have a solid idea of how that will work, we can figure out a way to incorporate claims and protections, probably in the form of towny and lockette.

hmm, I was thinking about a sort of portal tp... can you get different tfc dimensions in a TFC server?
maybe in the actual server spawn we could have a portal that takes you to the "HC dimension" which really is just a continent surrounded by water as firstly planned. Im aware there are some plugins that allow you to restrict access to in-game portals.

Jiro_89
10th October 2014, 22:46
hmm, I was thinking about a sort of portal tp... can you get different tfc dimensions in a TFC server?
maybe in the actual server spawn we could have a portal that takes you to the "HC dimension" which really is just a continent surrounded by water as firstly planned. Im aware there are some plugins that allow you to restrict access to in-game portals.

We have that exact same setup on the HD Minecraft server with the Small World portal. That's on of the reasons it is white list, only those that are apart of the SW group can enter it. The only difference being that the items between the rest of the server and SW are non-transferable to prevent contamination.

This is a possibility to consider. It would be simple to do, but I'm concerned it may add more latency to the server. TFC in general requires a lot more information transfer, but I'm sure one of the administrators could weigh in on this at some point as well.

fredoduquartier
11th October 2014, 00:08
I could do a verry simple plugin: all people that do not have permission of hd.hardcore, cannot interact with anything in the config specified chuncks or between chunk x1 and chunk x2 and chunk z1 and chunk z2 it would be made in few minutes ( without testing and bug fixing)

tremen2
11th October 2014, 01:00
I could do a verry simple plugin: all people that do not have permission of hd.hardcore, cannot interact with anything in the config specified chuncks or between chunk x1 and chunk x2 and chunk z1 and chunk z2 it would be made in few minutes ( without testing and bug fixing)

it depends on whether if we actually want people roaming around our continent or not really...

InsaneJ
11th October 2014, 01:28
The towny usage on the HC island is still in debate as you can see in my previous post.
As far as I'm concerned this is not up for debate. It's a public server and there are going to be players that are less than honest. The HC group will use Towny and Lockette to protect their builds just like everybody else.

This does not mean however that they will get access to Towny's teleport commands. We'll have to fine tune what's the bare minimum of commands required for the HC group. Right now I'm thinking only staff (Jiro, Pernix, Katt, etc) can start a town and invite players to join it. The regular HC members can only claim plots inside of a town that have been designated by the town's mayor and nothing else in the way of Towny commands really.

The problem with having a huge continent is that it's hard to protect from outsiders. We could put a WorldGuard region around it, but with really large regions it might cause lag issues. At least that was the case in the past with large World Guard regions. It's something we'd just have to try to see if it works. The other option of having a separate dimension is something we might consider. However I don't know how well TFC would react to this. That's also something we could test. If it works well that's probably the easiest way to set things up since all we'd have to do then is give the HC group permission to go to the other dimension.

Jiro_89
11th October 2014, 02:14
This does not mean however that they will get access to Towny's teleport commands. We'll have to fine tune what's the bare minimum of commands required for the HC group. Right now I'm thinking only staff (Jiro, Pernix, Katt, etc) can start a town and invite players to join it. The regular HC members can only claim plots inside of a town that have been designated by the town's mayor and nothing else in the way of Towny commands really.

If the separate dimension doesn't pan out I think having staff towns would solve the issue. Having staff run the town and then allowing residents to claim plots in the town could essentially remove the issue of isolating the continent or area allocated for Hard Core members.

Simply claiming the entire area through Towny and then setting all the plots for sale should do the trick. In order to limit the amount of claims that could be done we could make a plot cost $1 and then allocate each hard core member a certain amount of money to buy plots. Selling their plot back would reimburse them their $1 as well. Also noting that the plots for sale (non-claimed) would all have full residential permissions activated so they could be treated like "wild" plots for residents of the town until someone bought it and town guarded plots to outsiders (non-HC members).

The downside to this potential idea is you couldn't use the livemap to determine where your plots are. It would be one big towny claim blob. Though you could differentiate with the [/towny map] command if you were within a fair proximity (5-7 plot radius I think) or by entering the plot as the owner's name would appear.

Pernix_8D
11th October 2014, 02:18
Perhaps having the HC continent far enough away so that it discourages any players to try and get there to cause trouble. The only (sane) way to get to the island would be a Multiverse Portal (or Thors hammer. :P) that can only be used by players in the appropriate group, similar to what is done with Smallworld. That is only presuming we can use those plugins, though.

EDIT: Also, a wall around the island with towny protections might be a reasonable way to keep anyone desperate enough to get in. That may be a bit of work, however.

AngelToker
11th October 2014, 04:29
a claimed wall was how we initially intended however Pernix is right... that's alot of work
a new dimension would be best however we know that tfc crashes with the nether (not that its intended to be in tfc anyway)

if we go with Jiro's currency idea i think there should be a way to earn money as well for (if not just for personal use) later game fun public builds ( bars, statues, fountains, churches,docks,etc.) so the builder can decide if they want anyone messing with it or if they want to set perms to allow everything but they just want their name on it

Jiro_89
11th October 2014, 04:41
if we go with Jiro's currency idea i think there should be a way to earn money as well for (if not just for personal use) later game fun public builds ( bars, statues, fountains, churches,docks,etc.) so the builder can decide if they want anyone messing with it or if they want to set perms to allow everything but they just want there name on it

I really want to avoid it being a currency system. It's more of a claim stipend to allow folks to be able to claim their own land. Under towny it would require it to be a sort of money, but that's the nature of the beast if the continent claim/plot claim idea turns out to be the chosen course.

Pernix_8D
11th October 2014, 06:28
I suppose that we could allow lockette and prism to be allowed, if it wasn't already going to be. It'll greatly reduce thefts, and will allow those HC players to basically find the griefing occurrences for us to fix up.

tremen2
11th October 2014, 19:56
The idea of being restricted to plots may not be something very attractive to most of the HC players (as far as I am concerned almost every person that wants to join HC was a town mayor in the old server) we could really try to work more as an actual community and avoid towny usage as much as we can, given that all HC players up to this moment are trustworthy, i doubt griefing would be a mayor issue. obviously taking into account foreign player access is completely restricted. If griefing occurs it would be easily spotted using prism anyways...

Metamorfos
13th October 2014, 22:11
I wouldn't mind joining a no tp group but only when there is not more separation than there is between other players.

Imo, a town without thor's hammer located far away should suffice.

Jiro_89
13th October 2014, 22:50
I wouldn't mind joining a no tp group but only when there is not more separation than there is between other players.

Imo, a town without thor's hammer located far away should suffice.

At this point the separate dimensional thing will not be implemented. I'm currently reviewing a large continent with several biomes ranging in z from -2000ish to 9000ish so it should have varying temperatures. We will likely be utilizing world guard to allow HC member interaction with anything on the continent and non-HC members will be restricted access. The non-HC members will be able to explore the area though, they just won't be able to use/ break/ etc.

Jiro_89
14th October 2014, 01:11
This continent I found might end up being the Hard Core area. It has multiple biomes in it and ranges West East: 13.3k blocks, North South: 10k blocks. The southern most point is at -2200 z and the northern most is -12200 z. The temperature range should be sufficient. It is also around 24k blocks away from Spawn.
http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1286&stc=1

dominicinator
29th October 2014, 23:30
Is that from the B79 server, Jiro? Also, what's going on with this right now, still going to happen, or?

Jiro_89
30th October 2014, 07:51
Is that from the B79 server, Jiro? Also, what's going on with this right now, still going to happen, or?

It is from the new server, and it is still happening. The road is being constructed right now.

Hygiliak
30th October 2014, 12:17
As an avid hardcore vanilla TFC fan, I would love to join your group when the server is up and running.

My ingame name is: Hygiliak

Tell me if you need anything from me.

Jiro_89
30th October 2014, 18:25
As an avid hardcore vanilla TFC fan, I would love to join your group when the server is up and running.

My ingame name is: Hygiliak

Tell me if you need anything from me.

Road building has been slow going, if you're up for chipping in some time feel free to ask for builder permission on TFC server b79 builders wanted (http://happydiggers.net/showthread.php?1629-TFC-server-b79-builders-wanted&p=10221#post10221).

Rainnmannx
30th October 2014, 19:31
Some ideas that may or may not work, could use a town to circle the perimeter of the continent, so when crossed it would pop up and say something like you are entering the HC zone do not touch or mess with anything or you may get baned.
and could prism be set up to report certain things in certain areas? Ie if a non hc person digs it would flag it and report it?

Jiro_89
30th October 2014, 19:59
We will likely be utilizing world guard to allow HC member interaction with anything on the continent and non-HC members will be restricted access. The non-HC members will be able to explore the area though, they just won't be able to use/ break/ etc.

We're still planning on using world guard to protect/restrict access. This will prevent interaction from non-HC members.

Hamstueur
31st October 2014, 02:34
In game username: Hamstueur
How long have you been playing TFC: Several Years
Why do you want to join the Hard Core group?: for the challenge and the fun
Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?: Of course

theubie
31st October 2014, 03:12
Been too busy to offer to lend a hand to the building efforts, but once the new server is up, I would SO like to be part of the HC group. Let us know when we're close to starting up and I'll come back and apply and all that.

I would join it even if the [HC] over writes my [awe] tag.

fredoduquartier
31st October 2014, 18:40
plugin done and tested :) I sent it to J. now anyone that doesn't have the permission to do stuff in the hard core zone, cant. (exept on the border, that is like a no mans land (they cant claim it but can break and place stuff if they are on the other side, it's still to be fixed)) as for the testing, even in creative or op mode this person cannot do anything.
and there is a warning message for intruders, that says: "You are now in a HardCore Zone, mind that you wont be able to touch anything neither defend yourself." it can be changed tho if asked for. there is also a leaving message: "You are now leaving a HardCore Zone." commands and tp in and into this zone is impossible if you do not have the permission to. This plugin overrides all existing plugins.

Hope you like it ;)

Jiro_89
31st October 2014, 20:14
That's great Fred! Your help is much appreciated and I'm sure that plugin will fit our needs nicely.

pJansson
31st October 2014, 22:35
Hey ho, fresh member and excited about the new server!

In game username: pJansson
How long have you been playing TFC: Just a month or so.
Why do you want to join the Hard Core group?: I think tp ruins much of the challenge, vanilla tfc feels so much more rewarding when you are successful.
Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?: Believe so. Have two questions though...
1. Will hc players get their own spawnpoint or do we have to physically move the 20k+ blocks to reach hc island?
2. Will hc player still be able to set their spawn point by /home command?

Even if both questions return negative answers, i want to join the hc group. Just want to know the risks of moving a thatch and hide bed. Returning to original spawn due to death after a 20k block journey is a bit of a headache...

Jiro_89
31st October 2014, 22:39
1. Will hc players get their own spawnpoint or do we have to physically move the 20k+ blocks to reach hc island?

1. If you want to operate out of the HC island you'll have to make it there on foot. There will be a road, however, and some stop points along the way to provide water and food for the journey.
2. There will be no teleportation of any kind. You'll have to use a bed to set a spawn point.

dominicinator
1st November 2014, 22:33
In game username: dominicinator (Exactly as written)
How long have you been playing TFC: Since March/April 2014, though I've known about TFC for 1-2 years before this.
Why do you want to join the Hard Core group?: I am joining the HC group because joining the group will make my time more immersive, like single player, as well as giving me an increased "Reward" for accomplishing tasks, though I can perfectly do this without joining the HC group, joining the group will put me in a community with other players that want to do the same.
Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?: Yes.

pJansson
4th November 2014, 01:10
Hey ho, fresh member and excited about the new server!

In game username: pJansson
How long have you been playing TFC: Just a month or so.
Why do you want to join the Hard Core group?: I think tp ruins much of the challenge, vanilla tfc feels so much more rewarding when you are successful.
Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?: Believe so. Have two questions though...

Even if both questions return negative answers, i want to join the hc group. Just want to know the risks of moving a thatch and hide bed. Returning to original spawn due to death after a 20k block journey is a bit of a headache...

*Ahem* Sorry, this is a bit awkward, but i think i have to pass on the hc membership. Given that hc membership applications isn´t exactly spamming this thread and the sheer distance to hc island, i can easily see that you could get very isolated out there. And since there´s no membership hopping, and even though i don´t like tp, it would be sad to see this server ruined for me just from taking the wrong decision early on. Cold feet.

Really, really sorry for the inconvenience. Hope this doesn´t take to much of your time...

Jiro_89
4th November 2014, 01:58
*Ahem* Sorry, this is a bit awkward, but i think i have to pass on the hc membership. Given that hc membership applications isn´t exactly spamming this thread and the sheer distance to hc island, i can easily see that you could get very isolated out there. And since there´s no membership hopping, and even though i don´t like tp, it would be sad to see this server ruined for me just from taking the wrong decision early on. Cold feet.

Really, really sorry for the inconvenience. Hope this doesn´t take to much of your time...

It is important that people understand the magnitude of a decision like this. If folks are not 100% sure then they shouldn't apply. There's nothing wrong with not applying ;) Hope to see you on the server when it's open.

Nexuni
7th December 2014, 13:25
Hey there,

I would be interested in joining the hardcore faction. I'd like to ask some questions beforehand though.

Will we still be able to use mods like smart moving or more player models? I just got so used to the freedom smart moving gives and it's just more immersive than normal movement.

Also, could you give a rough estimation on how many players will play hardcore?

Thanks in advance,

Nex

InsaneJ
7th December 2014, 13:32
Smart Moving: yes.

How many (active) HardCore members: your guess is as good as ours :)

Jiro_89
10th December 2014, 20:03
Hard Core area is officially ready and the original post has been updated to reflect how Hard Core will operate when the server is released publicly.