PDA

View Full Version : Outdated, see new post. HappyDiggers TFC b79 server

InsaneJ
28th December 2014, 15:50
This is not the current info, this is older info from previous server, left for future reference.

http://i.imgur.com/qI2yAcu.png
The HappyDiggers TFC server attempts to stay as close as possible to the TFC experience. Players joining only need to have the latest TFC installed. The server has no whitelist and is open to anyone as long as they are friendly to other players and the staff. Please read through the information below and follow the rules.

Rules
The server has a few basic rules which all boil down to: be nice.
While on the server, type /rules to read the latest server rules.

Respect the staff and other players.
No bad language.
Please don't ask the staff for blocks, items, teleport, promotions, etc.
Please don't grief or steal from other players.
Don't turn your town spawn into a death trap. A small room with a door will keep unwanted visitors out.

To try to keep things running smoothly we are going to enforce some restrictions. These restrictions are on a per town basis. Meaning each town may have:

4 mature animals of each kind. This means: 4 cows, 4 pigs, 4 horses, etc. All mature, not counting young animals.
3 plots of tilled soil farmland or berry bushes. This means 768 blocks. They may be in more than three plots, but 768 max.
9 fruit trees. (All kinds allowed: red apple, green apple, banana, peach, etc.)
1 of each kind of anvil. (copper, bronze, wrought iron, steel, etc.

Features

Huge 80.000 x 80.000 pre-generated world.
Large 42.000 x 42.0000 pre-generated world dedicated to the hardcore group on a separate server instance.
Lobby server with a lot of mini-games like: Spleef, MOB arena, PVP arena, Paintball arena and parcour.
Protect your builds using Towny. Use the /t command. Towns get 32 plots per resident to use to protect their towns. More people in a town means more plots!
Each town starts with 32 plots and gains another 32 plots per resident making huge builds possible.
Absolutely no pay-to-win. Donors get an honorary title, but not game-changing or cheaty perks (aka "free" stuff).
All block and inventory interactions are logged. Griefing and stealing has become pointless because anyone can see who did it using /prism i (use /prism i off to turn off the inspector)
Players can set personal warp points with /sethome name and then use them with /home name
Towns may create up to 10 outposts to help protect off-site farms, freezers or mining areas in the world.
Need help and no staff around? Use /ticket-open YourQuestionHere
Explore the map on Dynmap and plan your journey. You can chat on Dynmap if you register an account while you are on the server using /dynmap webregister
Moderators have all the tools they need to solve any crime on the server. They can become invisible and investigate reported players, they can see who killed your animals, they can inspect player's inventories, they can kick and ban players and much more.
The server can load and unload (new) plugins without the need for a server restart.
Corrupted chunks can now easily be regenerated.
Scheduled daily server restart after the backup is done. It's scheduled between 8AM and 11AM CET.
Town mayors may claim a vanity plot right outside of spawn to advertise their town with. Ask staff if you wish to claim one.
Much, much more.

Server specs

Intel Core i7 5820K 6-core CPU
64GB RAM
4x Intel SSD in RAID-10
Areca 1680i dual core 1.2GHz PowerPC Raid controller with 4GB cache memory and battery backup module.
100mbit synchronous fiber Internet connection.
The server is up 24/7

Server IP: tfc.happydiggers.net:4000

TeamSpeak: ts.happydiggers.net
Dynmap for Regular TFC world: http://tfc.happydiggers.net (Anyone can view the map. To chat it requires in-game registration using /dynmap webregister)
Dynmap for Hardcore TFC world: http://tfchc.happydiggers.net
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HappyDiggers
YouTube: http://youtube.com/HappyDiggers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWYGrEoEv0

Some useful commands and info
Read the signs at spawn, they are there for a reason.

Server travel

/server (gives a list of available servers
/server tfc (go to the Regular TFC server)
/server tfchc (go to the Hardcore TFC server)
/server lobby (go to the Lobby server)

Chat
You can use these channels to chat in:

general
nation
town
local

You can join those channels with the following commands respectively:

/g
/nc
/tc
/l

While you are in one of these channels, you won't pick up chat from other channels so keep that in mind. Being in the town channel for example should only give you chat from fellow town members. That should greatly reduce the "noise" in chat.

Towny
/towny (Looku towny commands)
/town new TownName (create your very own town!)
/town add PlayerName (invite someone to join your town)
/plot forsale (Mayor can set plots for sale which town members can then claim as their own. Remember: we don't use currency so don't set a price.)
/plot notforsale (Cancel a plot being for sale)
/plot claim (Residents can claim a plot that has been put up for sale by the mayor.)
A full list of commands can be found here: https://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/towny/wiki/Commands

Lockette
People who are not part of a town, can't switch inside that town. This means they can't open things like doors, chests, tool racks, barrels, etc. To further protect such items from fellow town members or outside of a town, you can use Lockette. Simply place a sign on anything you wish to make your own private property and type [private] on the first line.

Tickets
If you need help and there aren't any mods or admins on the server, you can open a ticket.
/ticket-open YourQuestionHere (this opens a new ticket with your question)
/ticket-list (View your tickets)
/ticket-check # (Check your ticket with number #)
/ticket (this prints the help, don't type "/ticket help" as that would create a ticket with "help" as it contents. We know that's stupid.)

Block and inventory logging
If you suspect someone griefed you or stole something, you can check to see what happened with Prism. You can turn on the inspection wand with:
/prism i
Now you can left click blocks, chests, tool racks, etc. and see who placed/destroyed/opened/picked them up.
If you right click a block with air above it, you'll see the history of the air block. Maybe it was broken, burned, etc.

To turn off the inspector use:
/prism i off

We can also do more complicated look-ups of events like killed animals, picked up items, etc. This requires a bit more knowledge of prism so if you need help with that ask a staff member or look up how to do it in the Prism documentation.

Personal warp points / home
You can set "home" using /sethome. You can set more then 1 home using:
/sethome name
You can teleport to your homes using
/home name

Dynmap chat
You can chat on Dynmap if you register an account while you are on the TFC server. Use
/dynmap webregister
You should get a code. On the Dynmap web page, if you click the button under chat labeled: "Chat Requires Login" you can use the code you got in game to register an account.

Hard Core Group

Hard Core TFC will be considered a special group in the HappyDiggers TerraFirmaCraft server. In order to join you must apply using the appropriate application guidelines. This is so anybody joining the HC TFC group understands exactly what they're getting themselves into.

This group will be considered in all cases a Vanilla of TerraFirmaCraft. There will be no home teleports, town teleports, or special game play server commands.

A large continent of land has been set aside far away from spawn that will specifically cater to members of the hardcore group. This land will be protected by worldguard and will only allow HC group members access to mine/build/etc on it. Normal members will not be able to enter the area. The whole point of the special area is to allow HC members a large area with varying temperatures, biomes, mineral distribution, etc to establish a livable community. HC members will not be able to leave the area after they enter it. This will prevent normal member and HC member interaction other than using public chat. This will promote a specialized community of similarly focused players, so keep this in mind.

In order to reach the HC area, HC members must travel to WallBridge Outpost and board the HMS HardCore. Upon teleporting, your inventory will be removed and when you initiate your HC quest you will be given a bed and a boat.

Towny, lockette, and basic protections are still in effect in the HC area, but you won't be able to utilize town teleportation.

There will be no "membership hopping". If you are accepted as a Hard Core member and change your mind later you will not be allowed to re-apply for HC membership. If you've played as a normal member for a while you may not bring items you obtained in the open world to the HC area to prevent any sort of advantage. The same goes for HC members that decide to revert to normal members, they will have to leave their items in the HC area.

Due to graphite generation schist bug in the previous Build 79 versions I have added a Graphite vendor in the center area of the continent. The vendor will accept 1 kaolinite and give the player 1 graphite.
Application:
In game username:
How long have you been playing TFC:
Why do you want to join the Hard Core group?:
Have you fully read and understand what you are applying for?:

Mod-whitelist
The HappyDiggers TFC server now uses a mod-whitelist. This means that players may only have certain mods installed when they join our server. To be absolutely clear. You only need TerraFirmaCraft installed to be able to join, nothing else.

We have taken this measure in an attempt to prevent server instability and mass disconnects that happen from time to time.

The following list are OPTIONAL mods. They are all client-side mods that enhance visuals or provide extra information like mini-maps, tool tips and damage indicators.

MobiusCore
Waila
Opis (Use this instead of MapWriter, it's the same)
ReiMinimap
journeymap
voxelmap
NotEnoughItems
TerraFirmaCraftNEIplugin
CodeChickenCore
DamageIndicatorsMod
bspkrsCore
wawla
DynamicLights_dropItems
DynamicLights_entityClasses
DynamicLights_onFire
DynamicLights_otherPlayers
DynamicLights_mobEquipment
DynamicLights_floodLights
DynamicLights
DynamicLights_flameArrows
DynamicLights_creepers
DynamicLights_thePlayer
OpenEye
Schematica and LunatriusCore
BetterFoliage
FastCraft

We have chosen not to include Fastcraft. This mod is obsolete since the chunk generating problem was fixed in the current Forge version and it doesn't run on Cauldron. In regard to chunk loading (not generating) you are better off using Optifine. It is known to not only increase performance significantly, it also prevents certain crashes due to bugs in TFC in regard to fruit trees in b78 and b79.

If you would like us to add any other mods to this list, please use the following form:
Mod name:
Mod website/forum post: (url)
Why do you want us to allow this mod?:

http://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1434&stc=1
After months of hard work by dozens of volunteers we are now ready to launch the new and improved HappyDiggers TFC b79 server.

The server IP is:
tfc.happydiggers.net:4000

So as always, please enjoy your stay and use in-game tickets or the forum if you need help :)

The server is now open.

Jiro_89
29th December 2014, 21:36
WARNING

Do NOT place hot food or hot ingots in vessels or barrels. It will cause a server crash and the only way to remedy it is to remove it in a 3rd party client. If a person does do it, their area will likely be regenerated without regard to their base and items.

This is no longer relevant since the server was updated to TFC 79.15.

InsaneJ
29th December 2014, 22:10
Just to be clear. Until the server is updated to TFC 79.15 do not put anything hot in a barrel.

This time I took the time to download the region file and locate the affected block inside of MCEdit and removed it. Trust me, that's not fun to do. Next time I'll probably just delete the entire chunk and whomever's base happens to be in that chunk. So don't put hot stuff in barrels until the next TFC build. Thanks! :p

CalangoMC
29th December 2014, 23:04
:rolleyes: again?
*If is this the case, what kind of retarded can not read the message that Jiro sent.

InsaneJ
30th December 2014, 12:22
Yes, again. Today at 10:51 CET the idtiot was: mathiaspop.

I'll be editing out the block again. Server will be down until that is done. I'll also set a huge join message warning people.

InsaneJ
30th December 2014, 12:41
And the server is back. I've added the follow subtle hint to the message of the day every player sees when they join:

--------------------------------------------
- WARNING!!
- DO NOT PLACE HOT ITEMS IN BARRELS
- IT CRASHES THE SERVER
- From now on we will start banning people for this
--------------------------------------------

I hope that's subtle enough :B

This is not longer relevant since the server was updated to 79.15.

InsaneJ
3rd January 2015, 13:46
The server has been updates to TerraFirmaCraft 0.79.15.538

Please update your clients before you join. As always you can find the latest version on the download page (http://terrafirmacraft.com/download.html). And while you are there, please read the change log (http://terrafirmacraft.com/change_log.html) as well to see what's new.

This update should fix the issue where putting hot items into a barrel would crash the server. I've also taken down the warning for this when players join the server.

And one more announcement. Last night I noticed that the TFC server instance was using around 7GB of RAM. The old b78 server ran using 6GB of RAM and still had a bit to spare when the server was full. Guess the move to Minecraft 1.7.10 causes the server to use a bit more RAM. I've increased the amount of RAM to 10GB for the TFC instance so there should be plenty for now. If not, then I'll just add some more http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Pernix_8D
3rd January 2015, 13:55
Are you planning to revert a few blocks of land for graphite generation or do you want me to build a little machine at spawn which gives graphite each morning (I'm thinking a randomiser that makes it say 1/18 chance to get the graphite). If that sounds good I could integrate it into the seed dispenser.

Jiro_89
4th January 2015, 06:58
Are you planning to revert a few blocks of land for graphite generation or do you want me to build a little machine at spawn which gives graphite each morning (I'm thinking a randomiser that makes it say 1/18 chance to get the graphite). If that sounds good I could integrate it into the seed dispenser.

Personally I'm not a fan of giving out graphite no matter how small. I was planning on doing a lot of regenerations around the world in large uninhabited areas and if some of my strata tests work (ore not being removed/moved after regen) then possibly doing some underground regens in the inhabited regions as well. The world is big enough and diverse enough that people have been making the schist environment graphite work. Many folks have crucibles, etc on the mainland. The problem is that Hard Core has no schist environment unless it's under 2 layers of strata (lvl 50 and under). The original plan was to regenerate all of the Hard Core area after the update so I'll start with that in the next few days. If all goes well I'll move on to the main world, or you can too ;)

Pernix_8D
4th January 2015, 08:23
Ah, too easy then.

jentax18
8th January 2015, 08:00
Is smart moving enabled on the server or should i not waste my time installing it?
:P

Jiro_89
8th January 2015, 09:03
Is smart moving enabled on the server or should i not waste my time installing it?
:P

Not this time.

InsaneJ
13th January 2015, 10:36
The server has been updated with the following changelog:

New HardCore world was added (not yet open for business, needs testing)
Mod-control added (the mod-whitelist)
Shopkeepers removed (wasn't used)
Vault removed (we don't have an economy, everything is free)
Dynmap updated
OpenInv updated
WorldBorder updated
WorldGuard updated

Jiro_89
14th January 2015, 09:56
Around 8:30 PM PST (5:30 AM CET) the server was restarted so VanishNoPacket and Citizens2 could be re-added. Upon start up Towny went into Safe mode. I spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting it, using backups up to 2 weeks old, etc. As it turns out there was a corrupted town named "bboys_dream" which was registered in towny but not in the world and caused some sort of fatal error that I couldn't bypass. Using MySQL I was able to remove it from the database directly and Towny seems to be operating fine now. The server is back up and kicking for those that have been waiting for an update.

InsaneJ
14th January 2015, 11:01
That happens from time to time. Nice work figuring it out and solving the problem :)

InsaneJ
18th January 2015, 00:37
To try to keep things running smoothly we are going to enforce some restrictions. These restrictions are on a per town basis. Meaning each town may have:

4 mature animals of each kind. This means: 4 cows, 4 pigs, 4 horses, etc. All mature, not counting young animals.
1 plot of berry bushes. This means 16x16 = 256 bushes. They may be in more than one plot, but 256 max.
2 plots of tilled soil farmland. This means 512 blocks. They may be in more than two plots, but 512 max.
1 of each kind of fruit tree. (red apple, green apple, banana, peach, etc.)
1 of each kind of anvil. (copper, bronze, wrought iron, steel, etc.)

tenterro
20th January 2015, 09:05
About bushes limit.

Why if I don't have any animals and soil farmlands I can't have more bushes? If the only reason is to reduce server lags, then I will produce less entities then other towns with animals and farms. Or you could extand limits for VIP or donate group ;). Anyway I'm very disappointed that my imagination and garden is limited by server rules.

I can replace many bushes in outposts (like Altafar or Babylon), but I need permissions for that.

Jiro_89
20th January 2015, 09:18
About bushes limit.

Why if I don't have any animals and soil farmlands I can't have more bushes? If the only reason is to reduce server lags, then I will produce less entities then other towns with animals and farms. Or you could extand limits for VIP or donate group ;). Anyway I'm very disappointed that my imagination and garden is limited by server rules.

I can replace many bushes in outposts (like Altafar or Babylon), but I need permissions for that.

You can see the reasoning on the Server disconnect problem (http://happydiggers.net/showthread.php?1681-Server-disconnect-problem-solved/page2) thread. It's not about server lag, though it does help, it's about the tile entity threshold. Essentially when the threshold is reached most if not everyone will be timed out and there doesn't seem to be a way to avoid that, which is why we instituted new regulations limiting tile-entities. Server outposts will be edited as well, but since you're no longer a builder you won't be able to do that.

tenterro
20th January 2015, 10:45
You can see the reasoning on the Server disconnect problem (http://happydiggers.net/showthread.php?1681-Server-disconnect-problem-solved/page2) thread. It's not about server lag, though it does help, it's about the tile entity threshold. Essentially when the threshold is reached most if not everyone will be timed out and there doesn't seem to be a way to avoid that, which is why we instituted new regulations limiting tile-entities. Server outposts will be edited as well, but since you're no longer a builder you won't be able to do that.

I see. But there's no bushes in the list of the most numerous entities. And there are many fruit trees at spawn, the most popular place where people meet. So I think it's the first place that should be optimized.
Don't you think that many NPCs at spawn could also produce many unnecessary recods?

tenterro
20th January 2015, 10:48
All I ask for is just review the rule

1 plot of berry bushes. This means 16x16 = 256 bushes. They may be in more than one plot, but 256 max.
2 plots of tilled soil farmland. This means 512 blocks. They may be in more than two plots, but 512 max.

to

3 plots of berry bushes or soil farmland. This means 738 blocks summary of bushes or soil farmland. They may be in more than one plot, but 738 max.

In summary this is the same for the server.

Jiro_89
20th January 2015, 11:11
I see. But there's no bushes in the list of the most numerous entities. And there are many fruit trees at spawn, the most popular place where people meet. So I think it's the first place that should be optimized.
Don't you think that many NPCs at spawn could also produce many unnecessary recods?

As I said server outposts are already going to be edited. Since we only have one builder progress is slow. I can't do everything myself, and other staff are busy as well ;) Spawn is included in this since it is a server run land.

As far as your rule change proposal we will take it under advisement, though I'm not entirely sure I like that idea. Tilled soil and crops account for much of the issue as it is additive and allowing more farm land would be more of a hindrance.

InsaneJ
20th January 2015, 12:13
All I ask for is just review the rule

to

3 plots of berry bushes or soil farmland. This means 738 blocks summary of bushes or soil farmland. They may be in more than one plot, but 738 max.

In summary this is the same for the server.
I don't think it will be the same for the server. Reason being that if we allow "3 plots of something", players will stuff those 3 plots with the first thing they can get their hands on. Which is basically what people have been doing up until this point. We want players to look and trade for more varied food sources. This is also the way TFC is designed to work.

In my head this is the way things play out.

New town starts with one or two people.
Town residents gather up some food stuffs. Not nearly enough to fill a single plot with food items.
Town grows.
Farms yield their first results.
More plants and berry bushes are planted.
First animals and fruit trees come into play.
Town is looking good, more people join.
Over time plots get filled with veggies, berry bushes, fruit trees and farm animals.
Food goes to waste a lot.
Town goes hungry.
More food goes to waste.
Town figures out how to preserve their food efficiently.
Town has way more food than it eats.
Town trades food for other stuff.
Profit!

In the end the result may be 3 plots filled to the brim. But until that happens the server load will be lower. And when it happens the players will have done a good job at either playing TFC to it's fullest, or being sociable on the server and trading with other players. Either way should provide a good time.

Is this an unrealistic scenario? Has anyone complained about starvation yet since we implemented this rule? I'm asking seriously because so far I haven't heard any complaints. The rule isn't supposed to make players miserable. It tries to find balance between playing TFC and not overloading the server.

Yesterday I played on Outlast's server which also uses Cauldron. They have the same problem we do with the mass disconnects but don't yet seem to be implementing any measures to prevent it. I'll ask their admins if they have come up with a idea on how to combat the situation.

Heptagon_ru
20th January 2015, 12:51
Being inactive for some time, I hope to finally have some free time a bit closer to the weekend and be able to help with this. But probably you guys with your productivity will finish all the editing till that time already :)))

As I understand the task is to edit outposts a bit, decreasing the number of the mentioned tile entities, i.e. making them to comply with the new restrictions. Farmland+crops is not present in outposts i think, so fruit trees and berries then. I will not touch Spawn: too much responsibility, too sensitive and public area.

If some outposts can not be easily downgraded w/o loosing their core beauty, let's discuss them here, maybe the author could be able to give design advice.

I have added a new column to the Google Doc spreadsheet, to mark which outposts were checked+fixed.

Pernix_8D
20th January 2015, 13:44
Other than a few players groaning about the rule, I haven't seen or heard of anyone complain about any hunger pains. :P

tenterro
20th January 2015, 13:59
For me it's not question of hunger. I love TFC for its opportunity to build beautiful houses and gardens. And for me it's the question of design. Why I can't feel free to build my garden the way I want, decorating it with bushes as I like, keeping in mind that I will produce less entities that other towns allowed to? I just want to make nice and beautiful palace and don't worry about that someday admin will come and remove half of my work.

About scenarios you described. Everyone plays MC the way he or she likes. For me it's the building and aesthetic. I've almost built the whole palace without making any anvil at all. Is it real scenario ment to be played? I don't think so but I don't care.

And after all that I've done to the server why don't you let me just to build my own garden like I want? I will keep the general limit of entities for a town but little bit other way. I don't ask for anything else.

CalangoMC
20th January 2015, 18:25
have 1000+ crops if is changed to:
# Whether or not crops will die of old age.
B:enableCropsDie=false

maybe this kill many unused or careless crops.

And if have one method to one time a year revert all farmland into dirt, this kill all old unused farmland.
Maybe winter! :)

InsaneJ
20th January 2015, 21:13
We have decided to make the following changes to the rules. This should give players more freedom to play however they prefer.

Each town may have:

3 plots of tilled soil farmland or berry bushes. This means 3x16x16 = 768 tilled soil blocks or bushes. They may be in more than three plots, but 768 max.
9 fruit trees total. (All kinds allowed: red apple, green apple, banana, peach, etc.)
1 of each kind of anvil. (copper, bronze, wrought iron, steel, etc.)

tenterro
21st January 2015, 10:34
Thank you, Isane! :rolleyes:

Commiellama2
21st January 2015, 13:21
With regards to the tile entity limit, pretty much everyone has their farm by their home where they spend time. Do these tile entities count all the time, or only when in loaded chunks? Would distant outpost farms help unload tile entity memory whilst people are not near the farm or would it make no difference?

InsaneJ
21st January 2015, 13:51
As far as we can tell it's all about tile entities in loaded chunks. So yes, having farms in far away not-loaded chunks will help reduce the server load. Those chunks will however update whenever a player teleports to them causing a lag spike. But that's the case whenever a player teleports so that's ok.

Metamorfos
21st January 2015, 23:16
There seems to be a bug where the bloomery instantly finishes and apparently also pit kilns. I tried replacing the bloomery block but that did not fix it. (HC area, Town = Gilead, coords: x -1706, y 129, z -11279).

I had it also occur to me that my hunger bar didn't drop for 4-ish minecraft days (not sure if bug).

Jiro_89
10th February 2015, 08:43
EDIT: Server back up

The B79 TFC server is currently down. It may take some time to fix it so hold tight.

TheForestHermit
10th February 2015, 08:53
Oman. I blame me. That said, does happydiggers currently have any other active servers? It's hard to tell from the dates on some of the forums.

Jiro_89
10th February 2015, 08:56
Our MC server is the next popular. mc.happydiggers.net

TheForestHermit
10th February 2015, 08:59
Vanilla? *nosewrinkle* any others?

Jiro_89
10th February 2015, 09:01
No, minecraft mechanics with multiple words and play styles. Our other servers are private for VIP/Staff only.

tenterro
10th February 2015, 12:21
Is server down?

Guesswork
10th February 2015, 12:23
Is server down?

Yes. For a couple of hours now.

Does anyone know what the the status update it?

Guesswork
10th February 2015, 12:36
Yes. For a couple of hours now.

Does anyone know what the the status update it?

Scrap that. Server seems to be back up and running now.

Thanks anonymous fixer!

InsaneJ
10th February 2015, 12:36
Jiro broke the server :p Something to do with a charcoal pit.

Description: Exception ticking world

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/world/World$3
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_147460_e(World.java :1090)
at com.bioxx.tfc.TileEntities.TELogPile.createCharcoa l(TELogPile.java:392)
at com.bioxx.tfc.TileEntities.TELogPile.createCharcoa l(TELogPile.java:388)
at com.bioxx.tfc.TileEntities.TELogPile.createCharcoa l(TELogPile.java:389)
at com.bioxx.tfc.TileEntities.TELogPile.createCharcoa l(TELogPile.java:390)

That caused the server to crash. Because of that crash some config files became corrupt preventing the server from starting up correctly.

The charcoal pit has been removed I hope. I'm not sure exactly what it was I edited out. Everything looks like a polygon grid in MCEdit. It looked like a big cube thing near Jiro's last known position after the crash so I'm guessing that's it. And the config files have been restored.

The server should be up and running again :)

Heptagon_ru
10th February 2015, 14:12
Again an attempt to make the largest charcoal pit? ;)
http://happydiggers.net/showthread.php?1508-Maxminum-size-charcoal-pit-achieved!

Jiro_89
10th February 2015, 20:53
Again an attempt to make the largest charcoal pit? ;)
http://happydiggers.net/showthread.php?1508-Maxminum-size-charcoal-pit-achieved!

Actually it was a test. I was talking with the TFC devs about charcoal pits and found that there is actually no max size anymore. I gave it a test and well you know the rest.

InsaneJ
10th February 2015, 21:24
There is still a max size ;)

Heptagon_ru
11th February 2015, 11:14
... no max size anymore ...

Awww, a charcoal continent! :)

InsaneJ
12th February 2015, 11:49
Right now the Hardcore world runs on the same Minecraft instance as the regular overworld does. This causes some timing issues. To work around this we're going to setup a new server just for the Hardcore world. Work on the new Hardcore server is progressing nicely.

The current and new server will be placed behind a proxy. This allows us to do some really cool stuff with the server.

The most obvious benefit is a performance one since the Hardcore world will no longer affect the regular overworld.
The proxy allows us to setup a fall back server where players will get redirected to when one of the servers goes down (daily restart after backup). We're hoping this will also help with people getting disconnected periodically due to the large amount of tile entities.
The lobby server is an old favorite of ours. It was used for one of our regular Minecraft servers and features a ton of mini-games like: spleef arena, mob arena, pvp arena and my personal favorite paintball arena. There will be no building on this server. Just some things to pass the time while you wait for a server to come back online :)
We are going to start caching Minecraft player sessions. This means that when the Mojang servers go down again, you will still be able to log in if you do so from the same computer and launcher (which also has a cached player session).

For players nothing much will change. We're going to setup a portal at spawn that will allow you to go to the Lobby server at will, and vice versa. Regular overworld and Hardcore players will remain seperate like they are now. Chat will work as before. I've made some really cool scripts that allow the Towny gobal chat channel to be send between servers. If you don't want to play on the Lobby server, you don't have to. It's just an extra option.

I'm hoping I will be able to get this new setup running sometime during the upcoming weekend, probably on Sunday. There is going to be some down time. When I know an exact time I'll update.

InsaneJ
15th February 2015, 20:39
Today I spend the morning trouble shooting my PC and ended up reinstalling Windows. When that was finally sorted we discovered that the map we had planned for the Lobby server doesn't work well with TFC. This has to do with the fact that we lowered the world to accomodate for some mountains around the spawn area. It looks really nice but given that floor level is at Y:8 everything looks very dark. We can raise floor level and get rid of the mountains, but that would mean manually editing all the worldguard regions, mob arena regions, pvp arena regions. spleef arena regions and paintball arena regions.

As a result of all of this we're postponing the server migration to a later date.

InsaneJ
25th April 2015, 13:25
I have started the HappyDiggers TFC server migration. If all goes well we'll have two TFC servers after this. One regular and one for the Hardcore group. Both servers will be accessible via a proxy so the server IP will remain the same.

During the migration the server will be down. There's quite a lot of data that needs to be moved between servers, most of it database related. This is probably going to take an hour or two.

InsaneJ
26th April 2015, 11:54
We have separated the regular and hardcore worlds. Unfortunately the separation seems to have aggravated a bug in TFC reported (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8205-solved-continuous-fall-sound-for-dirtcobble/) by Jiro earlier. As a result the hardcore world has become unstable. We're hoping that TFC 79.18(?) will fix this.

Separating the two worlds was more involving than we had initially anticipated. One more thing we need to do is clear out the HC player's inventories in the regular world. We'll do this today. If the HC players wish they can play in the regular world as well. For now we're keeping the whitelist on the hardcore world as we previously had.

InsaneJ
28th April 2015, 10:05
HappyDiggers TFC has been updated to use TerraFirmaCraft 0.79.18.673 for both the regular and hardcore servers.

You can download this version here: http://terrafirmacraft.com/download.html

Also please take a look at the changelog: http://terrafirmacraft.com/change_log.html

And as always please report any issues you may encounter :)

InsaneJ
4th May 2015, 19:54
The Hardcore world has been moved, destroyed and re-created to, on and at a new server. So as of right now we have linked together the Regular and Hardcore HappyDiggers TFC servers behind a proxy. This means players join our server at: tfc.happydiggers.net:4000 and from there they can go to the Regular or Hardcore TFC servers. There is also a Lobby server which has a ton of mini games which acts as a fall back servers when one of the others fails or is taken down for maintenance.

The Hardcore map is 42.000 x 42.000 blocks in size and is fully pre-generated. This means it's smaller than the Regular world which is 80.000 x 80.000 blocks in size. Nevertheless it's still a huge map.

Right now we're still keeping the Hardcore server whitelisted so we don't open the floodgates of regular players there right away. The idea is that we don't want to get a ton of small towns on the Hardcore world. To help this further we require new players, on the Hardcore server only, to play 48 hours before they can create their own towns. In the mean time they are free to join other people's towns. To make sure nobody gets left behind in the wilderness we are starting a server town. Everybody will be welcome to join this town if they wish. The whitelist will be removed in about a week or so. From that point on players will be allowed to move freely between the Regular and Hardcore servers. Player inventories are not shared between servers.

There are 3 ways to travel between the servers.
1. Use the /server command. This gives you a list of servers which you can visit. For example: /server tfc
2. Use the portals. Just walk through them to initiate transport. http://i57.tinypic.com/15qurs1.png
3. Use the hologram signs. Just click on the sign to initiate transport. http://i61.tinypic.com/2d8fb5s.jpg

Towny's global chat channel [g] is transmitted between servers. You can easily recognize which server someone is chatting on from the server prefix. Town, nation, private and other chat channels are local to the server you are on and thus not transmitted to the other servers.
http://i62.tinypic.com/258w3nt.png

Each HappyDiggers TFC server has it's own Dynmap:
http://tfc.happydiggers.net/
http://tfchc.happydiggers.net/

To help players find their friends on the server we now have an integrated TAB screen that shows online players on all three servers.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2qv8lcg.png

That's it for now. Have fun on the new Hardcore map. And if you have any trouble please let us know :)

InsaneJ
19th June 2015, 09:49
Both HappyDiggers TFC servers have been updated to TerraFirmaCraft 0.79.19.706. You can find the download to this latest version here: http://terrafirmacraft.com/download.html

Please be sure to read the changelog to see what's new and fixed: http://terrafirmacraft.com/change_log.html

InsaneJ
24th June 2015, 19:44
The servers have been updated to TerraFirmaCraft 0.79.20.710 and Forge v10.13.4.1448. You can download this version here: http://terrafirmacraft.com/download.html

Please be sure to also update Forge on your clients.

InsaneJ
18th August 2015, 20:56
The servers have been updated to TerraFirmaCraft 0.79.22.761. Also Lockette has been mostly fixed. To use Lockette you need to place a sign in front of the container you wish to lock. Below is an example of how to lock a tool rack. This also works for chests, barrels, etc.

Place a tool rack like you normally would.
http://i.imgur.com/78VMYYW.png

If it's one block up, place a block on the floor in front of it on which you can place a sign. The sign needs to be right in front of the tool rack at the same height.
http://i.imgur.com/qun3thA.png

Write the following lines on the sign:

[private]
YourPlayerName
http://i.imgur.com/4DqzrpJ.png

The sign then sticks to the tool rack. It floats in front of it. It may look stupid, but it'll protect your tool rack.
http://i.imgur.com/00c5CXo.png

Even TNT can't hurt it now:
http://i.imgur.com/zrzLSlZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/RW7yFmU.png

This also works for chests, barrels, etc.
http://i.imgur.com/I7y7HMp.png

CorpseDrop
22nd August 2015, 18:31
Won't an ingot stack be destroyed anyway if you break the block beneath?

Jiro_89
22nd August 2015, 21:01
Not if you setup your ingot stack on a log pile that has a lockette sign on it. You can do the same with a protection meter. There are two examples in the regular TFC world spawn next to "Ingot Man" you can reference :)

CorpseDrop
23rd August 2015, 04:29
Well at least if I write someone else's name on the logpile, I won't be losing all my ingots due to general incompetence anymore :) thanks.

Rainnmannx
23rd August 2015, 15:25
You can add names to the signs, right click the sign the use /lockette 3 name, the 3 is the line number you want to use.

InsaneJ
6th November 2015, 10:21
This week I have purchased new hardware for our server. The upgrade is going to allow us to run 3 large TFC servers where we currently have only 2. Plans for those new servers are still in the early stages and it's going to be a while before they become active.

The new server will have an Intel Core i7 5820K 6-core CPU which I'll clock at 4GHz and 64GB of RAM. The new hardware cost around €1086,- and is payed for out of my pocket. The upgrade will allow us to roughtly double the amount of Minecraft servers we are currently running.

As always we'll keep TFC free to play on our server. However we will be introducing a new (additional) server for people who are willing to support our community through donations which will offer some nice perks. This will be a pay to enter server in accordance with Mojang's EULA meaning every player on that server is equal. Also we're not going to be giving players in-game items like some other servers do. This is TFC, get your own stuff!

If you have questions or suggestions please share and stay tuned for updates :)

InsaneJ
16th February 2016, 09:31
Since TerraFirmaCraft 0.79.28.908 was released there has been a serious issue with food decay. See reported issue here: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/9117-food-decay-russian-roulette/

This issue will not be fixed as the TFC devs are hard at work on TFC 2. So we have decided to change the TFC config on our servers to work around this problem. LarsonPacific has done extensive research into this problem going as far as to reviewing the TFC source code to find the rout cause of this problem. His recommendation is as follows:

I think decayProtectionDays=6 would be a good starting point. It allows for decay of food normally for food in players' inventories and in chunks loaded at least every ~2 real life hours, exactly as it does now, but should mitigate the lottery effect. If a player butchers a pig and logs off for an hour to eat, they will still get normal decay, but if they go to bed or work and log back on 8 hours later, they should be able to reliably pick up where they left off, which I think is reasonable. It basically will just treat players as being "in the game" for ~2 hours after logoff, instead of the current ~9 before applying the decayProtection mechanic, which given the playing habits of the regular players on the server, is a more reasonable figure... as I've not observed that when the average regular player logs out on HD, that it will "be at a minimum of 12 if not 18 hours before they log in again"

Am not sure where they came up with that number... but it sure wasn't here :P

I have set the following config option:
I:decayProtectionDays=6 (from default 24)
If you experience anymore problems with food decay please let us know.