PDA

View Full Version : TFC Timeout Report Thread

Jiro_89
18th April 2015, 19:30
Please post here if TFC is experiencing a timeout where you cannot log in because it says "timeout" and the dynmap is frozen with players not moving on it.

If this occurs please provide screenshots of the dynmap showing player positions around the world. This will help me find the cause of the timeout quickly.

How this happens:

When there is a dirt block on top of a chiseled stone or plank it can have the opportunity to fall through the chiseled block. When we updated to .16-.17 there were a few scenarios where these dirt blocks were corrupted and caused a feedback tick loop where the dirt block constantly fell into the chiseled block again and again without breaking the chiseled block. This puts a lot of stress on the server and causes it to "timeout" instead of crash where it basically freezes trying to process the event.

I have no evidence to believe this is reproducible post .17 by any player's means. It only seems to be select blocks scattered throughout the world and once they're removed the area is stable again without repeat. That being said, please try to avoid putting your dirt on top of chiseled blocks. This is more likely to happen when people visit places that haven't been loaded by players post .17 update, such as visiting an inactive player's town.

I have found and removed 6 so far, and we will probably find more. I can't know where the corrupted dirt is until someone runs into it and causes a timeout, when that happens please post the dynmap screenshots.

persianpenname
18th April 2015, 22:02
Crap, I wish I'd read this earlier. This timeout is on me. I chiseled the floor of my root cellar, and then tried to expand it -_-

This one is absolutely my fault. I'm sorry.

I'm at 7347, 65, -7665

Gregory_0305
18th April 2015, 22:49
I don't think there is any chiseled blocks around me but i have the same issue where when i try to log in and it says timed out.

I'm at 7721 65 -6994

Jiro_89
18th April 2015, 23:11
Neither of you were the cause. I have no evidence supporting that it's reproducible by individual player means post update. It's only corrupted blocks that were placed pre-update and loaded/found post-update. I swept your areas and they were clean. Also, screenshots please!

The timeout was not identified and will happen again since I have no definitive location.

persianpenname
18th April 2015, 23:18
That's really weird, because the way it seemed on my end was that I dug out the wrong block, dirt blocks began to fall, there was a visual glitch that looked both like a dirt block sitting on top of my (chiseled) floor, and like a continuously-falling dirt block, while the cave-in sound layered over itself until it was a solid tone, and then it kicked me out. I know you say my area was clear, but I do think I triggered it, especially since (having now gone back in) I appear to have gone slightly back in time, to before I did some building of a wall, and before I dug out that wrong block.

Jiro_89
18th April 2015, 23:31
All of these kinds of timeouts cause a time loss since the server can't stop without being forced. If you had triggered it then it would re-trigger anytime someone was nearby. I have yet to find definitive proof showing that this can be caused by block placement post-update. Since all of the previous cases occurred with untouched pre-update areas, and your area was fine when I checked it, I have little reason to think that has changed. Essentially dropping dirt on chiseled items just causes the chiseled item to break.

Edit:
Found it ;)

Jiro_89
20th April 2015, 01:08
Was able to replicate the timeouts on a forge server when using 10-15 of them at the same time. Bug was reported and announced fixed for .18. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this too much longer.

InsaneJ
20th April 2015, 09:20
Good work :)

How many reported critical bugs does that make? We should make a list and point at it every time they give us a hard time for using Cauldron ;)

Heptagon_ru
25th April 2015, 12:55
It seems it's the timeout again. I didn't cause it, was just moving chests.

TheRealPoker
25th April 2015, 12:57
Think we're frozen again. It's possible that it's me, I was in a cavern near falling cobble, but can't think there'd be any detail-chiseled blocks.

Metamorfos
25th April 2015, 13:12
I was mining and there was lots of cobble but I don't think I chiseled any block in that mine.

Player coords:

Metamorfos: -1486, -11495
TheRealPoker: 7719, -6893

Heptagon_ru: -2430, -4482
myundietalk: -5425, 4477
partysiraf and vuilepootje4114: spawn
profaith: -8019, 2328
Pwdino: 984, -9115
Thonte: 3886, -4523

Link to pics: http://imgur.com/a/lPiMi#0

Heptagon_ru
25th April 2015, 13:20
Btw, when you are talking "chiseled block", you don't actually mean smooth stone, right?

Sorry about not posting my coords and pic of location, used to not understand it.

Heptagon_ru
25th April 2015, 13:30
Hmmm, 3 hours ago InsaneJ posted on TFC forums that he started the migration of the servers. Maybe it's related.
Great, lets keep fingers crossed :)

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5156-07917-happydiggers-no-whitelist-no-pay-to-win-towny-anti-grief-measures-the-most-popular-server/?p=107172

I have started the HappyDiggers TFC server migration. If all goes well we'll have two TFC servers after this. One regular and one for the Hardcore group. Both servers will be accessible via a proxy so the server IP will remain the same.

During the migration the server will be down. There's quite a lot of data that needs to be moved between servers, most of it database related. This is probably going to take an hour or two.

Metamorfos
25th April 2015, 13:30
Chisel modes that turn a block into a transparent block. So smooth doesn't cause any issues. Check spoiler in first post.

EDIT: And yea, maybe it's the server move.

InsaneJ
25th April 2015, 14:12
That wasn't 3 hours ago, more like 37 minutes :B

Heptagon_ru
25th April 2015, 15:08
Yeah, I suspected that after U posted one on the HD forum. I guess TFC site shows me different time, because I am not logged in there.

TheRealPoker
26th April 2015, 01:44
On regular server I heard a falling block loop sound somewhere near 2782, -8089. I couldn't see it easily so I ran away from the chunk asap.

Jiro_89
26th April 2015, 04:21
On regular server I heard a falling block loop sound somewhere near 2782, -8089. I couldn't see it easily so I ran away from the chunk asap.

I checked it out and found that there's a single layer of surface grass resting on chiseled smooth stone slabs. It appears some of them fell through the slabs and possibly tried to cause a timeout. It's possible the changes J made to combat the timeouts prevented it and it simply fell through the slabs instead. It would be best to remove the dirt on top of the slabs until the next update is released which supposedly will fix the issue.

Jiro_89
26th April 2015, 04:39
I was mining and there was lots of cobble but I don't think I chiseled any block in that mine.

Player coords:

Metamorfos: -1486, -11495
TheRealPoker: 7719, -6893

Heptagon_ru: -2430, -4482
myundietalk: -5425, 4477
partysiraf and vuilepootje4114: spawn
profaith: -8019, 2328
Pwdino: 984, -9115
Thonte: 3886, -4523

Link to pics: http://imgur.com/a/lPiMi#0

Thanks Meta, Seems Pwdino triggered it. His area had a trigger before too, apparently there was more than one problematic spot. I'm going to sweep the area again.

Update: Found the problem. There was a large underground area with more falling blocks. They have been removed.