PDA

View Full Version : Hard Core World Reset

Jiro_89
29th April 2015, 19:56
Well folks, staff have spent a lot of time trying to fix the Hard Core World ever since the server migration. We have explored many avenues and attempted several different approaches to the problem with little to no progress. There is little indication on how long a fix would take either through our work or from the TFC developers.

Based on the feedback I have been receiving from the HC community and based on the "feedback" the current HC World has been giving us, we have decided that it would be in the best interest of the HC community to have a world reset. We understand the frustration that can accompany a reset, particularly an unplanned one and we sincerely apologize. We would not be choosing this option unless administration felt that it was the best course of action.

We will be using a different seed to (hopefully) prevent another massive northwest ocean like the current HC World has. Everybody who joins the new HC World will be given a fresh start. HC members are always free to play in the regular TFC World or in the Lobby as well.

Metamorfos
29th April 2015, 20:23
What if the problem occurs again in the new hc world? :s

Thanatosll
29th April 2015, 20:31
o we will have to gather everything again?

persianpenname
29th April 2015, 20:36
Am I weird that I like world resets? Mmm, minty fresh map to explore!

Jiro_89
29th April 2015, 20:37
What if the problem occurs again in the new hc world? :s

I can't speak definitively that it won't, but we have been running the regular TFC server without any issues like this since day one and it's still going. Making a new world on its own server instance shouldn't be an issue, and if it is then we will have even more evidence to support faulty coding and bug testing.

o we will have to gather everything again?

Yes, as I said it would be a fresh start for everyone. It would give players an unfair advantage against others if some started with items while others didn't.

Thanatosll
29th April 2015, 22:27
Will /kit TFC work?

InsaneJ
29th April 2015, 22:38
Will /kit TFC work?
Not on the hardcore world, no :)

The new world is being pre-generated as we speak. We're making the world 77% larger. It's going to be 40.000 x 40.000 blocks instead of 30.000 x 30.000.

Chunk generation in TFC is very slow. Which is why we need to pre-generate the chunks to begin with :B It's going at a rate of about 2% per hour. After that's done Dynmap needs to render the entire map. So it'll take about 3 days before we can open up the new hardcore world.

Gregory_0305
29th April 2015, 23:11
Will everyone in hc get a new bed and boat?
And will we have to remake our towns and nations?

Jiro_89
29th April 2015, 23:52
Will everyone in hc get a new bed and boat?
And will we have to remake our towns and nations?

It's a new world. There are no towns or nations. "Fresh Start"

The beds and boats addition have been removed for nearly a month now, so no.

Xaxyx
30th April 2015, 00:45
Will it be running 79.18?

Jiro_89
30th April 2015, 00:51
Will it be running 79.18?

Yep

goodfell0w
30th April 2015, 16:19
is the new seed up already? since i cant get to the HC world by using /server tfchc.

Teircen
30th April 2015, 16:37
No, it's not up yet. Just a few posts back InsaneJ just said (yesterday) that it was still generating and rendering and would take about 3 days. Hasn't been about 3 days yet.

Not on the hardcore world, no :)

The new world is being pre-generated as we speak. We're making the world 77% larger. It's going to be 40.000 x 40.000 blocks instead of 30.000 x 30.000.

Chunk generation in TFC is very slow. Which is why we need to pre-generate the chunks to begin with :B It's going at a rate of about 2% per hour. After that's done Dynmap needs to render the entire map. So it'll take about 3 days before we can open up the new hardcore world.

... and I was very glad for that post. I was checking periodically for it and didn't realize it'd take a few days so it saved me checking back a couple more times yesterday/today.

goodfell0w
30th April 2015, 17:30
No, it's not up yet. Just a few posts back InsaneJ just said (yesterday) that it was still generating and rendering and would take about 3 days. Hasn't been about 3 days yet.

... and I was very glad for that post. I was checking periodically for it and didn't realize it'd take a few days so it saved me checking back a couple more times yesterday/today.

Teircen
1st May 2015, 21:56
How's the new HC world gen coming along?
Clearly it takes a while but it's been a few days so maybe it's worth checking back with you.
Any rough ETA now that a good chunk of time has passed?
Getting close or still a few days out?

Metamorfos
1st May 2015, 22:13
At earliest tomorrow evening 9 pm GMT+1 would be my guess :-)

InsaneJ
2nd May 2015, 11:37
We've had a few set backs in generating the new world. At some point the world got corrupted and I had to load it up in MCEdit and cut off the outer ring of what was previously generated. After this I've switched from WorldBorder to a tool from Prof Mobius. We also switched to plain old Forge during the world gen, just to be safe.

So far I've seen the exact same errors pop up from time to time as we did on Cauldron. This means the problems we're having are all related to TFC bugs. We won't be reporting these bugs to the TFC devs again. They aren't going to fix them. Maybe in TFC 2.0.

These issues have caused quite a few delays. And for some reason they seem to happen when I'm sleeping so they're wasting a lot of time. For now the world is still being pre-generated. At first we started generating chunks that spiraled outwards from spawn. Now we're generating chunks 'line by line' starting somewhere at -21.000 -21.000. As a result I have no idea how far along the process is exactly at this point. The world is currently about 19.8GB and it's going to be somewhere around 35GB in size.

Pre-generating is now all being done on my PC right now. That means it's running on a single SSD and has an Intel Core i7 4770K behind it. Still it's taking a long time. Hang in there guys :)

Teircen
2nd May 2015, 12:15
Just that, thank you.

Cabirus
2nd May 2015, 16:27
Yeah, thanks for spending the time on this, sounds like a real headache. ;)

Thanatosll
4th May 2015, 09:11
Yay, Its done and up.(has been up for a while now.)

D3miurge
6th May 2015, 01:14
Yay, Its done and up.(has been up for a while now.)
Strangely I can not see the HC world on map page, only the normal TFC world.

Jiro_89
6th May 2015, 02:40
Strangely I can not see the HC world on map page, only the normal TFC world.

It's a separate server. The HC server dynmap is located at tfchc.happydiggers.net (http://tfchc.happydiggers.net).

D3miurge
6th May 2015, 04:51
It's a separate server. The HC server dynmap is located at tfchc.happydiggers.net (http://tfchc.happydiggers.net).
Thank you kind sir. ;)