PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Hardened Clay from Outpost Traders

Colorshock
11th August 2015, 07:57
Hi!

...I'm Colorshock and I've been working on a Roman city and I've found myself in a bit of a bind.

To explain, I started my town around a month ago on 07/07/15 and I've been trying to get it historically correct. A month since founding, I've reached a point where I am very soon going to need to make domus, basilicas, markets, villas, and other high-end buildings. The problem I've run into is that well, I have no paint or stucco. There are especially important to me because the materials were a staple of these high-end buildings.

In numerous historical accounts and all examples...

...these materials are prevalent. On walls and columns especially.

I've tried other blocks like chert, however no others fit as well as a block that can be used in TFC but not crafted. So, for your consideration I present...

Hardened Clay.

In vanilla, this block is made by firing a clay block in a furnace. It can then be colored any minecraft dye, including red.

What's better is that it cannot be exploited by being added. When it is broken, it drops itself. It has no other purpose than to be decorative and cannot be crafted into anything (other than from hardened clay to stained clay, which is a closed loop).

By allowing this block's use in HappyDigger's TFC it will provide the builders of the server new creative freedom. Simply visit TFC's spawn for an in-game look at the impact a couple colored blocks can have. If we are able to use it, we are more able to create things just as great.

As it would be a shame to omit something with so much potential, my suggestion is to add it to the already existing system of outpost traders. There are many outposts that still lack interiors that could accommodate new tradesmen for these blocks. With the current system of traders already in place, I imagine the implementation of such a thing to already achievable.

So please, add this great block!

Thanks!

InsaneJ
11th August 2015, 10:12
I understand your plight. However I'm not sure adding clay blocks would be of much help. Unless you can chisel vanilla blocks in TFC?

Heptagon_ru
11th August 2015, 10:34
By the way, there is a discussion of adding these blocks to TFC on their forum: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8109-hardenedstained-clay/
It is old, recently revived, you could add your opinion there :)

Colorshock
11th August 2015, 11:19
I understand your plight. However I'm not sure adding clay blocks would be of much help. Unless you can chisel vanilla blocks in TFC?

Yes it's true you can't chisel vanilla blocks. However, I've tested them out in creative with my current designs for columns, using them as pedestals, and they look surprisingly good! As far as walls, they work just as well as anything else. :) I'm positive it would be a massive help.

By the way, there is a discussion of adding these blocks to TFC on their forum: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8109-hardenedstained-clay/
It is old, recently revived, you could add your opinion there :)

Yeah I saw that while desperately looking for some way to make them in TFC, I'd be happy to add my voice to the discussion. Though, it's always unclear when a update will be coming and if they'll touch upon hardened clay or not.

InsaneJ
11th August 2015, 12:41
We could probably add the clay. However if you can persuade the TFC devs to add it 'natively' that's the preferred way to go since then they will probably also be made so you can chisel them. Also it would prevent people from being 'stuck' with vanilla clay blocks instead of TFC ones.

Please respectfully join that discussion. I'll add my 2ct later today.

Colorshock
11th August 2015, 21:14
We could probably add the clay. However if you can persuade the TFC devs to add it 'natively' that's the preferred way to go since then they will probably also be made so you can chisel them. Also it would prevent people from being 'stuck' with vanilla clay blocks instead of TFC ones.

Please respectfully join that discussion. I'll add my 2ct later today.

Left a comment in the thread! As far as people being stuck with vanilla blocks after addition, a 1:1 exchange at spawn from vanilla to the new tfc blocks (if they were to get added) could probably fix that. I'd definitely have no qualms trading an unchiseled block for one that may be chiseled. Happy to hear you are open to adding hardened clay, I'd love to know which outpost they might be available from so that I can utilize them as soon as possible. I promise fancy roman homes in exchange! :D