PDA

View Full Version : Railroad network

latyper
9th April 2016, 00:36
Whose interested in building a rail network with me on the TFCHC server?

The most active members, (as far as I can tell) are: Hassscrabbler, Galros, Balakhan, Latyper, Xrays7 and Bofgrin. (Larson Pacific is also sometimes on but I hardly ever see him since he is on the Technodefirmacraft server usually.)

Linking Balakhan, Xrays7, and Galros should be really easy because they are all within about 1,000 blocks of each other. Next farthest out is Hasscrabbler who is about 7900 blocks North-West of Galros. My place is just another 3900 blocks beyond that. Lastly Bofgrin is another 7,900 blocks to the East. In total we would need about 20,700 rails. Assuming we use all power rails that would require about 1293 gold ingots total or 215 a person. That's a lot but still doable.

EDIT:

EVERYONE SHOULD FEEL FREE TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT TO THE RAIL NETWORK. THIS INCLUDES TEARING DOWN AND REBUILDING PARTS, RE-ROUTING RAILS, ADDING TO IT, OR DOING ANYTHING ELSE. THE RAIL IS FOR THE COMMUNITY AND YOU SHOULD DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO IT IF YOU BELIEVE IT IS APPROPRIATE.

galros
10th April 2016, 17:05
Whose interested in building a rail network with me on the TFCHC server?I definitely want to do it. It may take some time for me to make progress, but is no obstacle :)

latyper
11th April 2016, 03:07
I definitely want to do it. It may take some time for me to make progress, but is no obstacle :)

Great. I've already started building down towards Hassscrabler's place. Both of us have themed places (his is a Roman villa, mine's a log cabin) so we are not building the track too close to our respective bases. It will still go close enough though that it we will both only be a short walk from the track.

Close up:

You can look for yourself on Dynmap at about -6400, -13500. I want to build this first bridge in a more impressive style but I've already depleted my supply of phyllite rocks for brick making. I really want at least this one bridge to be more visually impressive but without additional materials I am going to have to settle for a straight 1 block wide, 1 block thick bridge with no supports. I guess I'll keep adding to it as I get more rock.

latyper
19th April 2016, 02:26
Just an update.

The rail now stretches about 2,100 blocks. We've almost made it to our first station stop, Palatina.

Gold used thus far: ~132 ingots.

Distance left to go all the way to Ariakas: ~10,000. Gold still needed: 625 ingots.

InsaneJ
19th April 2016, 08:53
Awesome :)

Keep going!

Rainnmannx
19th April 2016, 19:38
rock on!

latyper
20th April 2016, 04:52
Thanks for the encouragement!

I've been having problems with mobs on the tracks, (not on the bridges. I think the tracks themselves screw up mob spawning). The track is most useful as an AFK way to get around the map. If I have to keep an eye on things it is not much better than just using a boat. Any good solutions that you guys have used in the past?

Fences- Expensive
Raising the track/digging a moat- labor intensive and expensive.

I'm a little worried that raising the track is the only real solution. I'm hoping one of you have a better idea.

Chogata
20th April 2016, 08:02
In non TFC minecraft modpacks I always fenced the railroads... wooden fences are not that expensive, that holds true in TFC also.

InsaneJ
20th April 2016, 09:08
I always elevate train tracks so mobs can't wander onto them after you've entered their spawning range or come back just a little later.

latyper
20th April 2016, 23:03
In non TFC minecraft modpacks I always fenced the railroads... wooden fences are not that expensive, that holds true in TFC also.

In TFC you need 4 logs per 6 blocks of fence. Since I would need to fence both sides that is really more like 3 blocks of fence. For a track 10,000 blocks long we are talking 13,333 logs. To put that in log pile terms that is more than a solid cube of log piles 9 blocks wide, 9 blocks long, and 10 blocks high.

Non TFC fences only cost 2 logs per 6 blocks of fence (or 3 blocks of fence on both sides of a track).

I always elevate train tracks so mobs can't wander onto them after you've entered their spawning range or come back just a little later.

That is probably what I'm going to have to do. I just dread the idea of gathering that many raw materials though. If I make it out of wood that would still take 5,000 logs. Not as expensive as fences at least. I suppose no matter how cheap a solution I have I just need to face the reality that any solution over such a long distance is going to be expensive.

Heptagon_ru
21st April 2016, 01:00
Previousely vanilla fence was available for crafting, from sticks. Are they disabled now?

Chogata
21st April 2016, 08:23
In TFC you need 4 logs per 6 blocks of fence. Since I would need to fence both sides that is really more like 3 blocks of fence. For a track 10,000 blocks long we are talking 13,333 logs. To put that in log pile terms that is more than a solid cube of log piles 9 blocks wide, 9 blocks long, and 10 blocks high.

Non TFC fences only cost 2 logs per 6 blocks of fence (or 3 blocks of fence on both sides of a track).

That is probably what I'm going to have to do. I just dread the idea of gathering that many raw materials though. If I make it out of wood that would still take 5,000 logs. Not as expensive as fences at least. I suppose no matter how cheap a solution I have I just need to face the reality that any solution over such a long distance is going to be expensive.

With 10,000 blocks long rails whatever method you pick will be expensive...

I like big building projects. I'm tempted to come and help, just for the fun of it :D

latyper
23rd April 2016, 04:10
I've come up with two possible solutions.

Put fences directly above the tracks, (players can still ride the cart through them.) I'm not sure if this stops mobs from path finding towards you. I'll have to do more testing. This is still expensive put cuts the cost of the fence solution in half... if it works.
Dig a 2 block deep trench for the entire length of the track. Mobs wont spawn in the trench because of the tracks and mobs outside the track probably wont see you and thus wont path find into the trench. This cost nothing but really slows down track laying. The upside is that every time I go out to lay tracks I don't have to bring a bunch of blocks with me to raise the track up out of the mobs reach. I'll also have 625 stacks of dirt to play with when I'm done, (could come in handy if I ever want to go build an island.) ;)

Chogata,

Your more than welcome to help. What is great about this project is that it doesn't require a lot of coordination. People can build their own rail networks near other players that will link up with the larger system in time.

---

Using the fence trick it should be easy to make stations that are AFK safe. The entrance to an enclosed station would have a fence placed directly over the track. That will stop mobs from following you in and killing you.

latyper
23rd April 2016, 04:11
Previousely vanilla fence was available for crafting, from sticks. Are they disabled now?

That would be wonderful. I'll check tonight.

latyper
26th April 2016, 03:45
Update:

Current Length: 4788 blocks.
Gold Ingots Used: 300.

Distance to Ariakas: 7841 blocks.
Gold Ingots Still Needed: 491.

We've passed Palatina. I've run out of gold ingots again. If anyone has the location of a gold mine in the north that would be very helpful. The location of graphite would also be really helpful so that I could have multiple crucibles going at the same time when making ingots. Making hundreds of ingots at once is really time consuming when you only have one crucible going. I also need a little bit more redstone (100 pieces would be more than enough to finish).

The mob management solution I've come up with is just sticking the tracks in a 2 deep trench. Mobs are almost never see you in therefore don't path find to you. This solution works well for three reasons. First, as I place tracks my inventory empties making room for the dirt. Second, I don't have to spend any time gathering resources to raise the track. Third, I'm going to have a colossal amount of dirt by the time I get to the end of the track which can be used for future projects.

latyper
30th April 2016, 03:01
Update:

Current Length: 6546 blocks. HALF WAY!;)
Gold Ingots Used: 409.

Distance to Ariakas: 6083 blocks.
Gold Ingots Still Needed: 380.

Balakhan made a bridge that the rail is going to go over near -1640, -8200.

Chogata
5th May 2016, 22:22
I went to see your railroad today.

Why only powered? One powered per 8-10 regular was always more than enough in Vanilla, is it different in TFC?

And do you have any plans regarding to crossings? I'm thinking of starting a line from my home soon...

latyper
6th May 2016, 05:37
I went to see your railroad today.

Why only powered? One powered per 8-10 regular was always more than enough in Vanilla, is it different in TFC?

Powered rails are made out of primarily gold. It is very easy to make hundreds of ingots of gold. Wrought iron on the other hand can only be made in the bloomery and then must be individually hammered into ingots. Furthermore, I rather save my iron ore for making red steel.

And do you have any plans regarding to crossings? I'm thinking of starting a line from my home soon...

PLEASE DO!

I really want to see people use the network more. Feel free to dig up parts you think can be done better, add bridges, add your own lines, tear down and re make stations or whatever. The whole network is suppose to be a community project. You don't need my permission if you want to do anything to it.

Chogata
11th May 2016, 06:36
Still have to find redstone...

But...

I tried to decide on crossings. Fully automated ones take too much space and resources, so I need to decide between either a fully manual one (get up, dig out your cart, put it on another track, get in) or a semi-manual one (switch from 1 up to 4 levers, depending on how you want to turn.

http://s32.postimg.org/olgorrv6p/dig_your_cart_and_move_it_crossing.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/olgorrv6p/)http://s32.postimg.org/ftdysov4x/switch_lotsa_levers_and_change_directions_crossi.j pg (http://postimg.org/image/ftdysov4x/)

Any thoughts?

latyper
11th May 2016, 08:51
Honestly the first one looks fine. Whatever design you go with please install some sort of runaway minecart detection. Minecarts are hard enough to make that people won't be carrying around more than one. If your cart gets away from you you might have to walk thousands of blocks to catch it unless there is runaway cart detection.

Chogata
11th May 2016, 12:37
Honestly the first one looks fine. Whatever design you go with please install some sort of runaway minecart detection. Minecarts are hard enough to make that people won't be carrying around more than one. If your cart gets away from you you might have to walk thousands of blocks to catch it unless there is runaway cart detection.

Since a cart with a player inside is propelled much farther on a powered rail than an empty one, it's enough to set the powered ones far enough apart. Of course, that is a problem for people that build their network from power rails only (:p), but with regular designs that's not a problem.

My first crossing design (dig up your cart and switch tracks) has power rails with buttons on the start, so you would have to be extremely clumsy to let your cart run away from you.

latyper
17th May 2016, 22:23
Since a cart with a player inside is propelled much farther on a powered rail than an empty one, it's enough to set the powered ones far enough apart. Of course, that is a problem for people that build their network from power rails only (:p), but with regular designs that's not a problem.

My first crossing design (dig up your cart and switch tracks) has power rails with buttons on the start, so you would have to be extremely clumsy to let your cart run away from you.

Do you know how many normal tracks we need to have in a row before having more powered rails for an empty cart to stop but a player occupied one to make it to the next powered rail?

Chogata
18th May 2016, 08:30
Do you know how many normal tracks we need to have in a row before having more powered rails for an empty cart to stop but a player occupied one to make it to the next powered rail?

Not from memory, I have to test it. I tried to find info in MC wiki, but there is only info about how far empty/occupied cart will go on inclined track, not on flat.

I should have time this afternoon, I'll check and post it here.

Dourne
18th May 2016, 22:10
vanilla was somewhere between 30 - 33 ish rails between powered rails - on flat ground / uphill something like 8 but i would do 4.

Edit - This would maintain maximum speed throughout the journey. by all means yes you can travel farther.

Chogata
19th May 2016, 08:06
I started to test, but I only had my laptop yesterday and it was not easy. What I got:

1 power rail:
cart - 10
cart+player - 100, but VERY slow at the end

2 power rails:
cart - 13
cart+player - 100, was slowing down a bit at the end

3 power rails:
cart - 14
cart+player - 100, not really slowing down…

4 power rails:
cart - 16
5 power rails
cart - 17
6 power rails
cart - 18

Then I wanted to make a long stretch of power rails (like 32) but the battery in the laptop died :p More tests to follow.

latyper
24th May 2016, 02:53
I started to test, but I only had my laptop yesterday and it was not easy. What I got:

1 power rail:
cart - 10
cart+player - 100, but VERY slow at the end

2 power rails:
cart - 13
cart+player - 100, was slowing down a bit at the end

3 power rails:
cart - 14
cart+player - 100, not really slowing down…

4 power rails:
cart - 16
5 power rails
cart - 17
6 power rails
cart - 18

Then I wanted to make a long stretch of power rails (like 32) but the battery in the laptop died :p More tests to follow.

Great work. It will probably be cheapest (in terms of wrought iron) to make the runaway cart detection on an uphill slope. I'll try to do some testing for that soon and will post my results.

Chogata
24th May 2016, 09:01
Good idea. But I'm starting to believe there is NO redstone on our map :( And no redstone - no rail network...

InsaneJ
24th May 2016, 18:16
Never mind:B

Heptagon_ru
24th May 2016, 18:43
Afair Kaolinite is not Redstone. Redstone is Cinnabar and Cryolite.

InsaneJ
24th May 2016, 19:36
Oops, my bad. I'll go look for some Cinnabar or Cryolite.

InsaneJ
24th May 2016, 20:31
Well here you go then. One very large sample of Cinnabar. You're going to have to dig quite a bit to get it. But this is Hardcore after all :)

Chogata
26th May 2016, 11:19
12k from home... I only went 7k away, I guess that explains everything :p

Okay, lots of supplies and off we go ;)

Chogata
30th May 2016, 21:12
Yay! My town is connected to the main railroad!!!

latyper
2nd June 2016, 06:53
yay! My town is connected to the main railroad!!!

Congrats!

With iron rails no less. Fancy.

Rainnmannx
2nd June 2016, 22:45
Hardcore all the way =p

latyper
11th June 2016, 03:13
I just did some single player testing for runaway cart prevention I think I worked out a fairly elegant solution.