PDA

View Full Version : Please help looking for a new gamming laptop

mikebrown1991
25th June 2012, 21:20
I’m looking to get a new laptop that is made for gamming I would like to know what would be the best one. The highest amount of cash I can spend is $800.00 Please help me!!!! =)

InsaneJ
25th June 2012, 22:28
You can't get a gaming laptop for $800.00. In that price range the best you can get is a laptop that can play some games. Don't expect to be playing Battlefield 3 on high.

That being said, you can get a decent laptop for that kind of money. And one that will play Minecraft with ease.
For gaming 3 things are most important:

GPU
CPU
RAM

In the given price range you could probably get something with an Nvidia GT555M GPU, a 1920x1080 display, an Intel Ivy Bridge CPU and 6GB RAM. But in order to maximize gaming performance for that price, you'll have be happy with a somewhat smaller HD, no SSD and a smaller battery and less bettery life overall.

Things to look out for:
Avoid Intel graphics at all costs!
While I recommend you get an Nvidia GPU keep in mind that a GT630M is a re-branded GT540. In this price range you'll see a lot of those. It may sound 'newer' but it's actually slower.
Warranty is king. You are from the US, which means as a consumer you get screwed in these matters. In the Netherlands you get 2 years warranty on laptops, by law. Buy a laptop that has at least 2 years warranty.
Don't buy the biggest screen you can get. While you can buy a 17" laptop in this price range, you'd be better of with 15.4" or maybe even 14". Reason being that the screen will most likely be better. Also since the battery will be small, a large screen with drain that even faster.

That all being said, here's one example for you to look at:
Asus N55SF-S1366V (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N55SF/)

Intel Core i7 2670QM 2,2GHz turbo to 3,1GHz
6GB DDR3 (SODIMM)
15,6" 1920x1080 (Full HD 1080p)
GeForce GT555M External outputs: D-Sub (VGA), HDMI
500GB 7200rpm hard drive
Blu-Ray / DVD+/-RW Combo

That laptop is stretching what's possible on your budget looking at game performance. I'm not sure if that exact model is available in your region, you'd have to look that up.

But if it's at all possible, I'd look for a PC to do your gaming on. You'll get a much, much faster machine for the same money.

mikebrown1991
25th June 2012, 22:43
Thank you =)