PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Server Goals

ethe334
8th May 2017, 00:09
Vanilla Server 2017

So, We have a new Vanilla Server and with that comes a fresh start and hopefully a map that keeps on thriving.
For that to happen, we should have some goals set out.

Me and Dourne have started to create a small chest of resources by the spawn point and I hope to start construction on spawn soon. Im thinking a treehouse spawn, but I am open to other suggestions if you would like to do something different.

SERVER GOALS:

1. Kill the Ender Dragon
2. Farm for every different type of food/plant
3. Spawn Community
4. Individual bases (add some personality)

Anyone else got some ideas?

(this thread is boring I'll spruce it up after work)

Dourne
9th May 2017, 00:22
quick thoughts - your goals are lengthy and far reaching. Let's start with the basics and beginnings of establishing a nice spawn location.

1. resources - thoughts to use wood or mostly wood for spawn so we'll need lots and lots of wood (all kinds for now, oak/dark oak/jungle are close)
2. food - prefer all types but for now something to eat. (how would we incorporate this in a treehouse..doable so don't dash your dream yet)
3. survival - armor/weps/animals.
4. we found a skele spawner - yay us. need to put it to work.
5. begin spawn construction/building. (if spawn point needs to be on solid ground let me/us know and dirt will be moved.)
6. community rules and layout.
7. individual bases.
8. dragon type things and ideas.

This sound ok?

ethe334
9th May 2017, 11:47
quick thoughts - your goals are lengthy and far reaching. Let's start with the basics and beginnings of establishing a nice spawn location.

1. resources - thoughts to use wood or mostly wood for spawn so we'll need lots and lots of wood (all kinds for now, oak/dark oak/jungle are close)
2. food - prefer all types but for now something to eat. (how would we incorporate this in a treehouse..doable so don't dash your dream yet)
3. survival - armor/weps/animals.
4. we found a skele spawner - yay us. need to put it to work.
5. begin spawn construction/building. (if spawn point needs to be on solid ground let me/us know and dirt will be moved.)
6. community rules and layout.
7. individual bases.
8. dragon type things and ideas.

This sound ok?

That sounds great, i've already made a small spawn treehouse which is visible from the village, so next we can just expand on it.

ethe334
10th May 2017, 21:02

I have been working on a treehouse idea for spawn, opinions?

Dourne
11th May 2017, 01:00
I have been trying to plant trees close to the treehouse to bridge to but dont have enough saplings. i boated around and we are only on the edge. we can boat to the other side and deforest if needed.

Thanks for the xp skele farm

There is a nether portal in the cobblestone building in town. complete with nether fortress.

Pernix_8D
25th May 2017, 16:05
Started on an individual base for myself but started to like the idea of turning it into a player town. A community project that isn't centred around spawn. Part way through setting up some pathways around the gulf and towards spawn, and after that is done I'll start putting up more buildings for farms and storage.

So basically if anyone wants anything to do that isn't based around spawn or you're own bases, come make a house here. In saying this, I do have three requests; Try to keep to my building style, keep it above ground, and try to build along the pathway (not in actual gulf if possible). If you need help just ask.

Might be a good little project anyway.
I'll get the coords for location soon. It's only a hundred or so metres from skeleton XP farm if you're too impatient (or I forget) ;)

Also if theres anything you guys want for spawn just sing out.

https://happydiggers.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3305&stc=1&d=1495717431

ethe334
25th May 2017, 18:54
That's great, it's exam season in the UK so I haven't had much time to play, but that should be over soon :)

ethe334
1st June 2017, 21:42
People on the Vanilla server, do you want the spawn to be in the tree and have branches off, or in the little town and I'll use the tree for something else?

Pernix_8D
5th June 2017, 12:44
I'm happy with whichever. The town is an easier project, but the tree would be awesome if the efforts put in. No need to rush though. Plenty of time to do everything! No need to smash everything out in one hit hahaha

Haven't run into anyone yet on the server either. Might have to start building mannequins to keep me company lol

ethe334
5th June 2017, 12:59
I'm happy with whichever. The town is an easier project, but the tree would be awesome if the efforts put in. No need to rush though. Plenty of time to do everything! No need to smash everything out in one hit hahaha

Haven't run into anyone yet on the server either. Might have to start building mannequins to keep me company lol

Ive made a small town hall near the original spawn point, so thinking that should be the main spawn.

I've only run into Dorne and RJS but that was at the very beginning and haven't seen them since.

RJS1997
5th June 2017, 21:56
Ive made a small town hall near the original spawn point, so thinking that should be the main spawn.

I've only run into Dorne and RJS but that was at the very beginning and haven't seen them since.

Ya I have been playing other games lately, guess I am just waiting for the 1.12 release so i should be more active soon. Last time I was on I was gathering pearls for the end portal I think we only need 6 more so we should be able to go to the end soon.

InsaneJ
6th June 2017, 11:19
Thinking long term projects here. This sort of thing may give people something to do for months.

This would require a bit of research I think.

What kind of layout makes for a nice Roman city.
What kind of buildings are required.
Roads, plazas, monuments.
How can we incorporate other projects into the city? Thinking about things like guilds, farms, shops.
What kind of style would we like to use? Romans often used local materials, as well as specific materials that needed to be imported.
Perhaps play a few games of Caesar III (https://www.gog.com/game/caesar_3) to get inspiration?

Minecraftforum.net has a couple of other featured community creations up right now as well.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/60591-5-amazing-community-creations-in-minecraft

Pernix_8D
6th June 2017, 14:35
Aw yeah, sounds alright. Might as well make a Colosseum or arena for inducting new VIP's.

Trial by beingshotbyeveryotherVIPfromtheseats. Rolls off the tongue.

ethe334
6th June 2017, 18:36
I like the idea of the roman city, how about a more medieval city to fit in with the houses that are already showing up around spawn?? Still in the idea of docks, large walls, cannons, villages?

InsaneJ
6th June 2017, 20:05
I don't meant to bash your idea, but to me oak logs and cobblestone, i.e. medieval-style, seems to be somewhat of the default theme for Minecraft. Having to come up with ways to build in a Roman (or other) style seems more appealing to me. Getting the materials for the vanity buildings and monuments alone might be a challenge and hopefully fun to do. At the very least it'll entail more than a cobblestone generator and tree farm.

And that I think is sort of the whole point. You wanted a new map to get people interested. If we go back and do the same thing we've always done, I can pretty much guarantee we'll get the same result as we always have. My advice would be to try new things. Get out of your comfort zone a little and do something different. Usually those kind of projects end up being the most interesting and fun.

Personally this kind of stuff gets me excited to build:

But in the end it's your call. If you want to do medieval, then we'll do medieval.

ethe334
6th June 2017, 22:06
I completely agree, I personally like the last two photos, and we have a nice mountain next to spawn that would be perfect for a temple of some sorts on top. From
thr photos, it looks as if sandstone, endstone and different woods/stones are used. We also now have use of different coloured concrete.

Ill look at some ideas after I have done this work (probably tomorrow) and start gathering supplies and plans around town.

Perhaps a date where we can all be on to discuss ideas?

ethe334
7th June 2017, 16:34
1.12 has been released for the community, J could you possibly update the server? Thanks!

Elbe97
7th June 2017, 17:39
I like the idea to build in Roman theme! It's outstanding within the mainstream minecraft creations we can see everywhere!

Btw, started to get involved in the server and settled down in a cave under the little bridge that connects the Spawn Tree and Pernix's settlement. Hopefully gonna turn it into Alchemist's Lab and build a Roman Villa on the hill above one day :) Hope I am not ruining someone's plans with the place ;)

InsaneJ
8th June 2017, 00:04
I spend about 15 minutes trying to find the server.jar download on minecraft.net. I simply could not find it. Microsoft hid it well. Their Realms stuff was prominently displayed though :mad:

In the end I used https://mcversions.net/ which links to Mojang's launcher site.... *sigh*

Elbe97
8th June 2017, 11:14
In the end I used https://mcversions.net/ which links to Mojang's launcher site.... *sigh*

Just downloaded the server .jar from MCVersions and it looks like they got it fixed in the meanwhile!

Pernix_8D
8th June 2017, 11:29
Something I'd like to try with this Roman city is use aqueducts to transport water for farms. I think i'd be cool to run a number of large scale farms from only one or two water blocks. Something else to keep us thinking!

InsaneJ
8th June 2017, 11:32
I'm confused. Who got what fixed?

The server.jar is only needed to run a server. The HappyDiggers Vanilla server was updated last night so you can play there if you like :)

Elbe97
8th June 2017, 11:40
I'm confused. Who got what fixed?

The server.jar is only needed to run a server. The HappyDiggers Vanilla server was updated last night so you can play there if you like :)

At first I thought that the server.jar was not available at mcversions.net, should've checked the server first. Everything is alright, only I just woke up. Sorry, my bad. :o

ethe334
11th June 2017, 00:38
I've been raiding end cities pretty rigorously, so there are a few elytras in the trapped chest in the upstairs of the town hall if anybody wants one, I'm planning to get building and planning the roman city in the near future.

Pernix_8D
11th June 2017, 18:58
To Elbe and whoever else has built a base within the gulf, I've done a bit of work and fenced off and lit a large portion of the area surrounding your homes. Feel free to build paths, move/build fences, etc. to better suit yourselves.

Anyway, good seeing some signs of life around the gulf :)

Elbe97
12th June 2017, 15:14
Feel free to build paths, move/build fences, etc. to better suit yourselves.

Nice job on the lights around the place, Pernix, thank you!

By the way, I have an idea to build a windmill with some wheat fields, already mentioned to ethe.The rock at XYZ 40, 80, 315 (currently a fountain made by someone else near the gulf) would suit the windmill very good. Would the author (you, Pernix?) mind if I moved the fountain further to the hills and made it into a small stream running through the gulf? Don't know your exact plans with the gulf though, don't want to corrupt it too much. I can find another place if you prefer the gulf to remain untouched.

My other suggestion would be in order to start with the Roman town project, we could find a suitably large south-oriented hills and build a vineyard with cellars and vineyard houses etc. (have a complete plan and can post screenshots of my creations if anyone would be interested) - the Romans were consuming a lot of wine, right? :)

Dourne
13th June 2017, 00:17
Nice job on the lights around the place, Pernix, thank you!

(currently a fountain made by someone else near the gulf) would suit the windmill very good. Would the author (you, Pernix?) mind if I moved the fountain further to the hills and made it into a small stream running through the gulf?

Fountain i added. you can move it.

Is my hermit spot in the gulf mentioned?

Pernix_8D
13th June 2017, 12:06
Would the author (you, Pernix?) mind if I moved the fountain further to the hills and made it into a small stream running through the gulf? Don't know your exact plans with the gulf though, don't want to corrupt it too much. I can find another place if you prefer the gulf to remain untouched.

Yeah mate, go ahead. I was thinking of putting a creek in, or at least some little park areas along the pathway with water features. Anyway, feel free to add stuff in Elbe (and anyone else). So long as no sheep escape. I'll make you round them up if they get out ;) Windmill sounds like a cool idea too. I had no idea what to do with that stone hill so you saved me some thinking! I'll leave it to you mate.

Just as a note for everyone about corrupting the gulf (as Elbe put it), I would prefer it if no structures were built in the actual gulf itself. I don't know about you guys, but I like it as a big green paddock with sheep in it. Nice and open. The one thing that'll kill it is if a dirty great big house is sat right in the middle of it. Anyway, if anyone wants to build something at the gulf and is struggling to find a spot, just sing out and I'll help however I can! :)

DOM
17th June 2017, 20:32
Ok... So I've never done a wither fight before and I attempted one on the server. Needless to say, I died and it is still roaming free. Luckily, It is at the dessert biome. I will attempt another go at it in the near future. I had a rage quit moment and now I've given up on Minecraft for a day or 2. Good luck if you are going to the desert!

Heptagon_ru
17th June 2017, 20:47
... Good luck if you are going to the desert! ...
This is awesome! :cool:

Elbe97
18th June 2017, 11:19
Good luck if you are going to the desert!

Death message "Player withered away" has just got a brand new meaning :D
Good to know, I should get ready before I go "steal" some cactus :D

Also, speaking of "accidents" - I got rushed by a ghast near the nether portal (town hall one), probably the surroundings got damaged a little bit. Don't worry, I will try to fix it as soon as I get enough courage to stand up to the ghast, i.e. get a bow :o

DOM
15th July 2017, 17:24
So I've had a long time to cool down after my rage quit on the vanilla server and chose to try the wither fight again. My plan was to go to the desert, find my stuff (assuming that no one had picked it up yet), and get re-geared for another round.

Luckily, I was smart and made myself a set of enchanted diamond gear before I left for the desert. I had no idea that the wither would still be around! "How long does it take to despawn?!", I asked myself. I "heroically" (scared) decided to take it on for another fight and slayed it without too much of an issue.

So, the result of the ordeal is that the desert is now safe again, I have a beacon that I am slowly getting metal blocks to build larger, and well...

I started digging a hole...