PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the foundations?

Chogata
26th July 2017, 08:59
Basic info first: until recently, I've only played Ark in single or locally with my hubby. I've never been on any public servers other than HD.

Now, having said that... can somebody explain, why there are foundations everywhere?

I see places where different tribes stick a lot of metal foundations, without rhyme or reason. They don't later build in the area where they stick the foundations. And while the foundations don't necessarily block vast amounts of high end resources, like crystals or obsidian, they do block sometimes:
- simply stone, wood;
- metal (on Ragnarok, there are rarely big concentrations of metal, mostly it's all scattered, which makes it easier to obtain on low level, but harder to harvest on high level, when you need a lot);
- the possibility of fishing.

And they just simply destroy the nice view, overnight.

Ugh.

So, why do players do that???

Epimetheus
26th July 2017, 09:54
Its simple. People dont want you to build around their base, exspecially when people raid somebody they build a little base with turrets where they store their supply and respawn. You dont want one of this raid bases near your base so you prevent them building nearby. Also people could build turret towers near your base so you cant get out without getting shot. To prevent that you make foundations around your base so they cant build.

Chogata
26th July 2017, 11:29
Its simple. People dont want you to build around their base, exspecially when people raid somebody they build a little base with turrets where they store their supply and respawn. You dont want one of this raid bases near your base so you prevent them building nearby. Also people could build turret towers near your base so you cant get out without getting shot. To prevent that you make foundations around your base so they cant build.

But that explains foundations around my base. Not in a random place on the map that is nowhere near my base. I asked about those foundations.

Epimetheus
26th July 2017, 12:10
Well, i cant answer that without seeing the area, maybe that is still near a base you just dont see or they do want to build there and just dont have the resources yet. I personally didnt see foundation block that wasnt necassary on all 3 server (Center not include). How about making a screenshot so we see what you are talking about?

Dourne
27th July 2017, 00:35
maybe that is still near a base you just dont see

probably the correct answer without a screenshot. most bases are hidden underground it you cannot readily see them above ground. the foundations would help prevent
people could build turret towers near your base so you cant get out without getting shot, thus giving a chance to leave your base without harm.

it is a quite common practice unfortunately.

Chogata
31st July 2017, 07:47
Okay, I've found the base "belonging" to the foundations that bothered me the most. I don't care about the others.

As long as they don't prevent me from expanding my own base (because they start to come fairly close), I don't care THAT much. But the view at the lake sure is ruined.

Or... I can make use of all that re-fertilizer I've found in all those drops. Hmm, there's an idea ;)