PDA

View Full Version : Freebie TFC and Donor TFC server changes

InsaneJ
10th August 2017, 09:49
We have been running the current Freebie TFC and Donor TFC/TFC HC servers for a while now. The idea was to give the community a nice free server to play on while rewarding our donors with two huge TFC servers.

In practice this didn't work out as we had hoped. The donor servers never reached critical mass and therefore remained mostly empty. Which is why I'm going to change things up a bit. Here's the plan:

The Freebie TFC server's map will be increased to 100.000 x 30.000 blocks.
The Donor TFC, Donor TFC HC and Donor TnFC servers will be replaced with a full bred FTB server which will be replaced periodically.

Here's the reasoning behind these changes. Most donors wish to keep on playing with their friends in their established towns. It makes little sense to offer them a server where their friends aren't. Since we can't (and won't) offer pay to win perks, all we can do is cosmetics and grant access to other servers. So what I'd like to do is make the Freebie TFC server more appealing to try to increase player base there.

The Freebie TFC server is getting a huge 100.000 x 30.000 block map. While this is smaller than the Donor servers, it should offer more playable area for TFC. The Donor servers have a huge square map. This resulted in endless frozen wastelands to the north and impenetrable jungles to the south. The new Freebie TFC map is focused around the temperate zone with a band of frozen lands and jungle. This means less space is wasted on areas that players generally aren't very active in.

The new Donor server will be running the Feed The Beast Direwold20 1.10 mod pack. I've pre-generated a 12.000 x 12.000 world for this server. The reason I'm keeping this relatively small is that we are expecting fewer players on this server than on our public server, and we really want and need to encourage cooperation here. While it's a relatively light mod pack by our standards (HappyDiggers AMP), the server will face quite a heavy load on such servers when people get their bases up and running. So we'd really like for players to band together on these servers.

The new Donor server will be changed about every 3 months to another mod pack. This will hopefully keep players interested. After 3 or so months, the map isn't deleted. I will save them and after having played on a bunch of other mod packs, they may return so people can continue playing there. This is also one of the reasons why the map isn't crazy huge like on the current Donor TFC servers.

The new Donor server will be running Forge with Sponge. This allows us access to a lot of plugins much like we have on the current TFC servers with KCauldron. We will be starting off light though and rely on the mod pack's supplied FTB utilities for plot claiming. Players can join (or start) a team and then claim a bunch of plots. IF they add friends, those friends are allowed full access to those plots. So be careful who you add as a friend on the server.

Right now all of this is still in the planning and preparation phase. So if people have questions, suggestions, concerns or objections. Now is the time to speak up. As always we really want to hear your input.

_DragonTamer
10th August 2017, 10:21
Awesome! I look forward to exploring the new land with everyone!
-_DT

Elbe97
10th August 2017, 10:37
I am officially offering InsaneJ a new nickname - AwesomeJ! I really like the reasoning for map increase here, also the way the enlargement was done. Very nice :)

Heptagon_ru
10th August 2017, 13:38
I am officially offering InsaneJ a new nickname - AwesomeJ!

AwesomlyInsaneJ :D
It also increases the length of the name, like in all those royal names, where the listing of titles of a person can take minutes.
Tho it might be hard to think of a new addition to the name when next surprise happens.

Elbe97
10th August 2017, 21:43
Tho it might be hard to think of a new addition to the name when next surprise happens.

Nah, always can add something like: von PraiseHereVille upon The River of Fulfilled Dreams

Rainnmannx
11th August 2017, 02:42
New maps are always fun :)

Chogata
11th August 2017, 12:48
Do you have plans to allow donors to vote on which modpack will be used next on donor server?

Are TFC based modpacks even possible? As far as I remember, they don't work with Sponge...

Also, in this scenario, Freebie TFC will be the only "stable" TFC server available and it will be huge again. That begs a change to the "only one sethome" rule. Even on the small map I constantly felt the need to have the minimum of 2 home points, now it will be even more pressing...

I'm happy to see changes, I might even unglue myself from Ark to come back to MC sooner than I thought ;)

Elbe97
11th August 2017, 15:16
That begs a change to the "only one sethome" rule. Even on the small map I constantly felt the need to have the minimum of 2 home points, now it will be even more pressing...

Yeah an extra home would be handy on a map that big. A few extra outpost "slots" for towns is what I had in mind at first but this would do better I suppose.

InsaneJ
11th August 2017, 20:19
Do you have plans to allow donors to vote on which modpack will be used next on donor server?
Yes.

Are TFC based modpacks even possible? As far as I remember, they don't work with Sponge...
Yes they are possible, on MInecraft 1.7.10 with KCauldron like we have right now. TFC does not work with Sponge. TFC2 might. Not sure yet.

Also, in this scenario, Freebie TFC will be the only "stable" TFC server available and it will be huge again. That begs a change to the "only one sethome" rule. Even on the small map I constantly felt the need to have the minimum of 2 home points, now it will be even more pressing...

Yeah an extra home would be handy on a map that big. A few extra outpost "slots" for towns is what I had in mind at first but this would do better I suppose.
I'll take that into consideration. The nerfs were done initially to make the difference between free and donor more apparent and to entice people to actually donate.

I'm happy to see changes, I might even unglue myself from Ark to come back to MC sooner than I thought ;)
Glad to hear :)

_DragonTamer
12th August 2017, 05:40
I would personally prefer an extra town outpost or two instead of a personal home. Makes it easier to get more than one person somewhere at the same time. Sucks for you to tp but ur friend must walk 3000 blocks to join you

Dourne
12th August 2017, 23:05
years and counting....still trying to get the wife to play...

LemonH
21st August 2017, 22:59
i like those changes, well done!! ;) Btw just to be clear, the server will be INCREASED, not REPLACED, right?

_DragonTamer
3rd September 2017, 02:11
Hi guys, it's been a while, and over the past few weeks I know I haven't played much. Don't worry, I'm not done with this server by any means, I have just gotten distracted with a combination of computer problems and Ark Survival on my Xbox. I have been checking in on dynmap lately, and it seems that there has been a dip in server traffic lately, and I hope I see you guys on some more! Anyways, I was just checking in on the status of the map expansions.
-_DT

InsaneJ
22nd October 2017, 20:58
It looks like people are enjoying the larger Freebie TFC server. There were quite a lot of players on tonight (relatively speaking of course :)).

As for the donor server stuff. I still need to make those changes so sit tight!