PDA

View Full Version : Uniters

Darwin
4th November 2017, 23:31
Hey, so, on the server, there hasn't been any currency for a while now, and I thought I might as well try to make my own while I am at it. There wasn't really an item I wanted to give a value to, like gems etc. because you can unbalance the economics, just keep finding gems and you are rich, someone with a copper pickaxe can do and then simply buy a blue steel full armour set if they wanted to. Therefore I wanted to assign fair values to every item.

Therefore I came up with an abstract value, a rather mathematical currency, one that is based on a simple formula instead of items.

I like to call it the Uniter, simply because you measure them with units. What my system does is simply convert every item that you want to a common unit and then you can compare the values to get a fair value, without unfair approximations.

Alright, now I will explain what is a Uniter value, how to find it for a specific item and how to apply it properly.

The Uniter value of an item is the abstract, flexible value of a block/item/service measured in units.

To find the Uniter value of an item, you use this formula:

1 U...... = 100 u * Uniter * (t / 2)
.....item............item......item....item

where: U = Uniter
u = units
t = tier -> The tier of an item is a value decided by the seller of the object (for metals it can be taken from the official TFC wiki), which is between 0 and 6 (rational numbers allowed, e.g. 1.5, 1.25, 3.14159, but not irrational numbers, such as square roots, or infinite sequences of decimals, such as the constant Pi)

To properly trade, you !must! find the Uniter value of an item.

E.G. For Copper:

-copper's tier is 1 according to official TFC wiki; therefore:
.................................................. .................................................. ...................................---------------
1 U ......... = 100u..........* ( t / 2) <=> 1 U = 100 u * ( 1 / 2) <=> 1 U = 100u * 0.5 <=> / 1 U = 50u / !!!
.....copper ...........copper.....copper...................... .................................................. .......... ---------------

* I made the calculations very detailed so anyone could understand.

Then, because this would be a handicap for everyone and because different people value things differently, plus effort has been put into getting these items, there exists a Value Added Tax for each object.

A Value Added Tax (VAT) of an item is extra Uniters added to the price for: time it took to make/find, rarity of object, demand of item etc (any reason may be put here, but if you make the price to be too large, don't expect someone buying your product)

A VAT can be added anytime, for anything.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

Yeah, so that is what the Uniter is. I find it very convenient to use, if a little hard for some people. I mean, unless you are using very large values, it is very convenient to calculate (plus there always exist calculators, even if not a physical or on your phone, but there is always one on your PC if you are playing a game, so don't come at me with "too hard to calculate").

If you like it, just use it with other people. I would definitely appreciate that.

Good luck using it. See if you like it, maybe give it one try.

¬Darwin

EDIT: A plugin that automatically only converts the values because everything is literally math would be very convenient.

(if I or you find mistakes I will edit, just tell me)
(sorry for all the dots, it would just format wrongly)

flokj
4th November 2017, 23:41
Nice idea, and it's easier to understand here than in chat :P Great job!

CalangoMC
5th November 2017, 00:45
First> Sry i dont speak english, but i try to look clear about i think.

Uniters dont work have many exceptions, bismuth, zin, tin is tier 0.

Basic materials have a hard work to balence in Uniters, how U is a sequóia sappling or seeds, or a cown, aswer VAT.

Generic VAT make the trade as put your price in the item and not a universal fairy reasonable base price for itens.

If i understand :

Base 100u of "metal"

Tier 0: 1U= 100u*(0/2) = 0u
Tier 1: 1U= 100u*(1/2) = 50u
Tier 2: 1U= 100u*(2/2) = 100u
Tier 3: 1U= 100u*(3/2) = 150u
Tier 4: 1U= 100u*(4/2) = 200u
Tier 5: 1U= 100u*(5/2) = 250u
Tier 6: 1U= 100u*(6/2) = 300u

6 ingots of copper dont sound reasonable for me to trade for 1 blue steel ingot, VAT in this case is so huge that make the price based in VAT not in Uniters.

Thanks.

Elbe97
5th November 2017, 18:53
Making community-based currency is always a problem.

Uniters dont work have many exceptions, bismuth, zin, tin is tier 0.

Basic materials have a hard work to balance in Uniters, how U is a sequóia sappling or seeds, or a cown, aswer VAT.

Yeah, that's making me not trust Uniter. You simply have to assign your metal a tier of your choice or make a huge VAT. Then, what about common things other than metals? It's hard to assign a tier to a thing other than metal.

A general "VAT" (in Uniters to the general equation) might be a solution. That would 1) determine the value of Tier 0 items; 2) not harm the system in general, because it would add Uniter value globally.

The equation can look like the following:

1 Uniter = 100 × u × (t / 2) + x,

where:

u ... units (of metal)
t ... tier
x ... unchangeable constant, i.e. initial value (for tier 0).

All combined, this gives people the opportunity to make this up to their desires. That does not make a trading system that offers better environment than simple "exchange system" in trading. That considered, it just demands more time and mental capacity for converting any item possible to Uniter.

Darwin
5th November 2017, 23:29
Making community-based currency is always a problem.

Yeah, that's making me not trust Uniter. You simply have to assign your metal a tier of your choice or make a huge VAT. Then, what about common things other than metals? It's hard to assign a tier to a thing other than metal.

A general "VAT" (in Uniters to the general equation) might be a solution. That would 1) determine the value of Tier 0 items; 2) not harm the system in general, because it would add Uniter value globally.

The equation can look like the following:

<hr>[/HR]1 Uniter = 100 × u × (t / 2) + x,

where:

u ... units (of metal)
t ... tier
x ... unchangeable constant, i.e. initial value (for tier 0).

<hr>[/HR]All combined, this gives people the opportunity to make this up to their desires. That does not make a trading system that offers better environment than simple "exchange system" in trading. That considered, it just demands more time and mental capacity for converting any item possible to Uniter.

Very brilliant idea, adding a constant x value. I should've probably thought of something like this way longer ago. Indeed, it wont affect the system either. Good idea, Elbo. I am considering implementation, though changes may be made (maybe not I gotta see).