PDA

View Full Version : What will we do when new biomes and/or worldgen are introduced?

InsaneJ
28th February 2021, 12:18
Valheim is still in early access and is bound to get a lot more content as time goes on. One of the things that's pretty sure to change is the amount of biomes and the way stuff generates in the world. Right now the Mistlands, Ashlands and Deep North biomes are not yet finished but you can find them in the game apparently.

Right now we're playing on world 'e1m1' on the HappyDiggers server. It's a Quake reference for those unfamiliar. I kinda choose that name intentionally to keep track of how often we change the world as Valheim's development progresses. The idea being that we start a new world when it's worth changing over.

So when is it worth changing over? A lot of people have started their bases, put a lot of time into making things look pretty, grinding for gear, etc. Not something you'd just want to disregard and start over.

Here's a thought I had. Right now the game has this balance-breaking feature where all the player's inventories are stored locally instead of on the server. This means we could have players grab all their stuff on the server, log out, go into a local world and save the items there (put it in chests), and then do the reverse for a new world on the server.

This way players can decide for themselves if they want to start over or continue on their builds. From my experience gathering the resources takes way more time than the actual building part of the game. So it might be worth considering. Then again, starting fresh is also nice from time to time.

Personally I don't mind that at this stage in the game's development you can move your stuff between online and offline worlds. If players want to ruin the game for themselves that's up to them. I don't play PvP and I don't look in awe at buildings other players make so I don't really care if people have tons of stuff. For me it's all about how much fun people are having playing the game while maintaining a level playing field for everyone.

Thoughts?

Jiro_89
1st March 2021, 17:49
Here's a thought I had. Right now the game has this balance-breaking feature where all the player's inventories are stored locally instead of on the server. This means we could have players grab all their stuff on the server, log out, go into a local world and save the items there (put it in chests), and then do the reverse for a new world on the server.

This way players can decide for themselves if they want to start over or continue on their builds. From my experience gathering the resources takes way more time than the actual building part of the game. So it might be worth considering. Then again, starting fresh is also nice from time to time.
Thoughts?

I think the option to do it either way is good for now. I can see the appeal of both methods, and I think if I had to choose for myself it would depend on my mood at the time. Until we get better control over what can and can't enter servers, there's no use fighting the system or locking people out of an established server (assuming allocated server resources are negligible).

Dourne
2nd March 2021, 03:11
still paddling in the river staring at the bridge wondering if it is too low or just right. ill wait and see.