PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question

Alturia10
12th November 2012, 04:54
Hey guys!
Lately I have been not able to log on to the Towny server. I've been asking my friends about it and they all say that it is closed FOREVER due to not enough donations. Is this true? Please respond soon.

PS. DOM, I'm making a server and I am just wondering if you can give me suggestions on how to set it up and run it. Secondly, do I have to pay to make a server; and more importantly, do I have to pay a monthly fee or something to keep it up?

InsaneJ
12th November 2012, 12:52
Hi Altur :)

Your first question was still on the front page: Towny server Going Down (http://happydiggers.net/content.php?155-Towny-Server-Going-Down)

The second question depends on how you are going to host the server. If you want to rent a server, like the Towny server, then yes you will have to pay a monthly fee. If you host at home then you will have to pay a lot of electricity. About 500 euro/year for a regular desktop PC running 24/7. Prices can vary depending on where you live, but here it's about 500/year.

If you decide to host at home, you need a fast Internet connection. Most importantly is your upload speed. With a regular 20 mbit ADSL connection you get only 1mbit upload speed. This is enough to host a small server with maybe 4 people playing on it, but it will be laggy.

Using cable Internet with 3mbit upload will perform better, but still it will be laggy. If you want to do proper hosting at home you should consider getting an optic fiber connection with at least 10mbit. That will let you host a 30 player server at home with good connections to the players.

Also take into consideration that a standard Minecraft Towny server needs around 2GB of RAM, just for Minecraft. So the machine running Minecraft should have 3 or 4GB minimum. Also Minecraft is very CPU intensive, but it can only use 1 CPU core for it's main thread. This means that if you have a super duper fast quad core CPU, it will usually only max out 1 core. The other cores can be used for stuff like rendering Dynmap, doing Orebfuscator and other things that can run outside the main Minecraft thread. But those tasks are limited.

Our server now runs on an Intel Core i7 3770K which runs at 3.5GHz. and has a turbo up to 3.9GHz. We can host all our servers on there without any performance issues. More specs can be found, again, on the frontpage :) Server upgrade (http://happydiggers.net/content.php?161-Server-upgrade)

Before this server we were running on an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 which is a quad core CPU running at 2.4Ghz. This wasn't always fast enough for our servers. Minecraft can't really take advantage of the 4 cores, and sometimes a single core of this CPU just wasn't fast enough when we had around 10 players online on any one server.

I hope this helps :)

Also, check our website more frequently. We're about to make a new server available to the public. It's going to be awesome :D

demman8
12th November 2012, 17:50
Wow, that is a lot of info, J... Good to know for the future!

But yeah, the towny server has closed down, sadly.

Alturia10
14th November 2012, 06:51
Awww...it's really going down? That's sad. But I haven't really been able to go to the main forum page...do you know why I am not able to?

InsaneJ
14th November 2012, 10:20
I'm sorry, my crystal ball is broken. You will have to tell me why you can't go to the main forum page ;)

What happens? Do you get an error? Does your computer explode? What?