Can you guess what this thing was used for?

Rate this Entry
Name:  weird-gun-thing-instrument.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  40.1 KB

It looks like some sort of a gun, or an unpleasant medical instrument. Or maybe something that was used in the kitchen to make yummy things.

Can you figure it out? It is of course none of these things

The device above is called an eprouvette. It's a device that was used to measure the strength of gunpowder. You'd fill the device with gun powder, then fire it, and the explosion in the barrel would push the gauge out. The further out the gauge goes, the stronger the gun powder.

[National Firearms Museum]


  1. demman8's Avatar
    I thought it was some sort of spring action cutter. Interesting what it really is.
  2. Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    Awesome, I would never guess that
    Btw, the Who's Online page/link is fun, because all those bots constantly find some interesting pages from the past ))