Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Radical Server Plans

As some of you may have noticed I haven't been very active on our servers other then FTB for the past months. There are two main reasons for this:

I'm busy with things other than Minecraft
    Keeping 10 servers up-to-date is a lot of work. When I was doing an excellent job at it I was busy for at least 2 evenings a week, sometimes more. I don't want to do that and I don't know of anyone else who wants to do that for us (and that I trust to do it).

I've lost interest in our current servers

Don't get me wrong, I like all of our servers. But I'm just done playing on them, I'd like something new. One of the new things I'm currently interested in are our AMP and RPG mod packs.

I've let our servers run for a while now, not updating except for the update to Minecraft 1.6 (which was a lot of work ) The only server I've been actively updating is the FTB server which I currently enjoy playing on.

So what I'm planning on doing is the following.
    • Remove all our servers except Vanilla, TFC, FTB and Snapshot
    • Create public server for our RPG mod pack
    • Build one new awesome public server to replace all the regular Minecraft servers with

There is no ETA for all of this. It will be a couple of weeks (from now) at least.

This means my job of updating servers will become a lot easier. The mod pack servers can be updated as soon as we update our mod pack. Vanilla and Snapshot are just 1 .jar file to update from time to time so that's easy as well. And the new server will be updated regularly which is a little more work but still manageable.

The plan for the new server is one I've been working on for quite some time now. It's inspired by our Skyblock server. I've been busy generating one of the most awesome worlds you have ever seen in Minecraft.

Basically the world is made up of 'naturally' generated islands. They have various boimes and are all floating above the void. To get to a new island players will have to build bridges. This will require players to work together on projects and will hopefully keep the lazy players out. If players want a server that makes everything easy, they'll have to go elsewhere.

I intend to create a spawn area with shops and public farms so people can get their materials. Also I'd like to setup quick travel portals on islands claimed by players(if they want to).

The thought of jet packs has crossed my mind also, but we'd have to be sure it's reliable. A lot of Bukkit-based jetpacks are glitchy so we'll have to see how that goes.

Players will be able to claim areas for themselves like in Towny to prevent grief on their islands. I'm not sure we'll use Towny or another plugin for this because all we need is a simple way to claim a couple of chunks. Ideas on this and everything else are welcome.

I'm currently generating a 2500x2500 chunk world. When done this will have taken about 75 hours on my PC which has an Intel Core i7 running at 4.2GHz. So yeah, it's taking quite some time and requires me to do some stuff every hour or so... It's quite labor intensive

Here are a few sneak peak shots of the world:

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by ethe334; 20th June 2014 at 10:54.

This sounds like a good idea. I kinda got the impression that towny would be comming to an end and now that it is here; I would like the seed for the world if possable. I really like the terrian it has and to me it has been one of the better looking map generations since beta.

I look forward to the bridge building and other challenges in the new world!

Cool looking world, I cant wait 2 play on it!

I have finished creating the 25 individual worlds. Now I have to stitch those together. Adding one world to another takes around 1 and a half hour on my PC. So adding 24 worlds into the first one is going to take quite some time :B

Awesome! Well, you better get comfortable if it takes about 31 hours

I've made some progress. The current map is 1500x1500 chunks. That's 24.000 x 24.000 blocks which is pretty big.

DOM is going to try to make a volcano island somewhere in the center where the starter town is going to be.

I'm planning on transferring the maps from SmallWorld, Skyblock and Prison to the new server using MultiVerse instead of having separate servers. The SmallWorld server will remain whitelisted. The Prison server will change in that it will only have the prison, not the world outside of prison.

Apart from the floating Islands there will also be a new world with a custom world generator. The Island World and the other new world will be governed by Towny with some custom settings. There will be no upkeep, so once you start a town it won't dissappear if you don't pay regularly. Also I want to give towns more plots per player. Towny will enable people to protect their stuff and gives them a sensible way to use the economy system.

Also, jetpacks for the floating island world and the new world.

Integrating all the servers into 1 server is going to take quite some effort. But once that is done it should save us a lot of time maintaining them

Plans have changed a bit. I've put in a new spawn area and Pernix has taken over the project. Here are a few screenshots of the spawn area.
    Name:  2013-11-25_17.25.25.png
Views: 240
Size:  478.5 KB

Name:  2013-11-25_17.25.38.png
Views: 260
Size:  293.0 KB

Name:  2013-11-25_17.26.05.png
Views: 341
Size:  433.5 KB

The Hoth Ice World
    Name:  2013-11-25_17.29.21.png
Views: 263
Size:  339.2 KB

Name:  2013-11-25_17.30.10.png
Views: 241
Size:  521.2 KB

You start in the spawn area and the first thing you need to do is get a jet pack. You need the jet pack to leave the spawn area and venture off into the world of floating islands or to get to the small island with the portals on it.

The Hoth world is made of snow and ice and has a ton of structures to explore.

The overworld, which we really have to rename, I'm thinking "Earth Bound", uses a custom terrain generator which looks really nice. This is the closest thing we have to a regular world.

Then there's the Small World map, and of course Skyblock.

There's still a lot of work to be done, but Pernix is doing an excellent job

Sverf
    Go go Pernix!

What we will happwn to the TFC server! You can`t take that away from me! Its the ONLY good TFC server!!!!!!!!

Nothing will happen to it. I wouldn't worry.