Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snapshot server not reachable

It appears to be hanging; it says it's up and the same 4 people are always on, but attempts to log in always time out.

Sverf
    I've restarted the snapshot server, seems to work again now.

Yeah, it's happening again..i noticed this before several months ago, and everytime i've noticed it the server has said a person named leigemeister was on. the first two times someone named RJS1997 was on.

Again the server doesn't crash completely. You can still query it and thus the server isn't automatically reset.

I've updated the Snapshot server to 1.7.4. That should hopefully resolve the server crashes.

is there any way around this problem without someone resetting it? no matter what i do when this happens every attempt to log in just ends with a time out error, and no matter what time of day it is it always says the same people are online.

No there's not. To the operating system, a Minecraft server is just another Java process. If the process is unexpectedly terminated, it can be automatically started again. Sometimes the server crashes but the Java process remains, the OS then thinks the server is still running. To work around this I made a nifty startup script that polls the server, if it doesn't get a response it will automatically reset the server.

In this case the server more or less hangs, but you can still poll it. Nothing to do but manually reset it then.

Right now the Snapshot server seems to be up. It was probably a bug in the snapshot. The snapshots are more or less dev builds of Minecraft and bugs are to be expected. Right now it's running the release version 1.7.4 so I think it'll be ok for now. At least until we encounter another buggy snapshot. In which case you'll just have to report the problem again. That is how Mojang can fix their bugs: by people reporting problems such as this

Unfortunately most people on any of our servers are lazy bums. If it's something's not working they'll bitch and moan, and then leave. If people don't report any issues they encounter, we can't do anything about them. We're not psychic. People actually have to tell us they you want us to know about it. I know, it's crazy right?

Lol i've noticed..the frequent map resets keep nearly anyone from staying on that server for long.

Also, the server is hanging again. And again, it says either leigemeister or RJS1997 is on. (In this case it's RJS1997, though last time it was just leigemeister.)

ive noticed I get constantly kicked from it, then it will stop kicking me for a bit then the server will crash.

I'm not getting the full story here. I really don't like that. I don't mind when any one screws something up, I really don't. But please just tell me so I can fix it. Now I had to dig into the problem only to find staff was abusing their powers. Did you see my last video where I sounded like a robot? Well, it's gotten way worse since then. I have better things to do right now like sleep on the couch, eating chicken soup, getting pampered by Mupje.

Just in case any of the moderators forgot about last time, let me repeat myself: DO NOT ABUSE YOUR POWERS

The server has a maximum of 2GB RAM allocated to it. For a 10 slot Vanilla server that is a lot of RAM, it could run perfectly fine on 768MB which is what the standard hosting package for a 10 slot Vanilla server is.

The server crashed because of a ton of (TNT?)mine carts.
    Name:  2014-01-01_12.15.10.png
Views: 181
Size:  178.7 KB

One of the mine carts got the following momentum: 11.14, 0.00, -13194923118241485000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00.00

As you can see that's a rather large number. Server goes out of memory when mine carts exceed the speed of light backwards

I don't mind if you have a little fun on the Snapshot server. It's the Snapshot server and I don't really care what goes on there as long as the very simple rules are followed by regular players. You can spawn giant balls of lava over each other's bases for all I care. But if you crash the server, just fess up and let me know what you did and where it happened so I don't have to go around looking for the problem. I really hate that.

I'm serious. I don't care if you crash the server. But please just tell me when/where it happens.

Yea, Im sorry about that... I wanted to see how big of a explosion that would cause... thats why its in the middle of a mountain :P I didnt know that it dropped all the minecarts... im sorry about that J. This will NOT happen again
    ~Ryan~