Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    New Spawned
    Agreed Kat. Bioxx and dunk might have made a really addicting mod, but 'stable' is the last word I would use to describe it... historically speaking releases are like planned headaches, rather than feature releases.

New Spawned
    Bioxx found it. Related to water plants. Fix on the way

The new server is coming along nicely. Although it took more effort then we initially thought.

We switched from MyTown to Towny because we couldn't get the MyTown permissions to work reliably. Initially we didn't want to use Towny because it doesn't protect against Forge mods. However TFC doesn't use any fancy machines, mining lasers, quarries or magic spells that can manipulate blocks. So Towny will suffice.

We've changed the Towny and Lockette configs considerably and are now able to protect most if not all inventory items from TFC. By default all those things like doors, anvils, tool racks, etc. are protected inside of towns from outsiders. You can further set permissions for the plots you own inside a town to even prevent other town members from accessing them. If changing permissions is a bit much, you can also use Lockette to lock those things by placing a sign on them with the following on the first line: [private]

Right now we're testing the plugins for stability and if all goes well I'll put the new server up on Sunday night or perhaps Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    The new server is coming along nicely. Although it took more effort then we initially thought.

We switched from MyTown to Towny because we couldn't get the MyTown permissions to work reliably. Initially we didn't want to use Towny because it doesn't protect against Forge mods. However TFC doesn't use any fancy machines, mining lasers, quarries or magic spells that can manipulate blocks. So Towny will suffice.

We've changed the Towny and Lockette configs considerably and are now able to protect most if not all inventory items from TFC. By default all those things like doors, anvils, tool racks, etc. are protected inside of towns from outsiders. You can further set permissions for the plots you own inside a town to even prevent other town members from accessing them. If changing permissions is a bit much, you can also use Lockette to lock those things by placing a sign on them with the following on the first line: [private]

Right now we're testing the plugins for stability and if all goes well I'll put the new server up on Sunday night or perhaps Monday.
    Excellent news

Excellent. I am really looking forward to this.

Warroirsofcats an I encountered a bug with the stone anvils eating double ingots on combine. Ill leave a report on the tfc website.

This build also seems to require more bandwidth than the last, probably due to food decay. I have been experiencing allot of rubberbanding, War and Mar are fine though on that so it doesn't seem be the sever.

Are you using a better movement mod? Because Towny doesn't like that and corrects the player location if they move too fast.

Think of it this way. On Forge servers there is no anti-cheat of any kind and you can "better move" all you want. On Bukkit servers there is a ton of plugins that have to do with anti-cheat. Towny uses a light form anti-cheat by checking to see if player movements are possible given vanilla Minecraft parameters. So if you use a mod like smart moving to double jump or dodge, then you might experience rubber banding because Towny corrects your location server side.

Another possible explanation could be that currently the server is running on my PC instead of the actual server server This means it's running on Windows instead of Linux which may also affect server performance.

Another update. Looking at the issues we're having when running MCPC+ and TFC, the current server we're building is looking less likely to appear in it's current format.

These are our known issues that seriously influence gamelay:

MCPC+ Player Inventory does not update after death
    Reported here and here.

Anvils eating double ingots.
    Reported here.

Hunger and thirst bar do not get filled after death.
    Reported here.

Bioxx has said that he currently does not intend to spend time fixing issues with TFC and MCPC+ which is understandable. There's only so much time he can spend fixing bugs. That means we can either try to live with the current list of issues and hope the MCPC+ devs can solve the issues. We could wait to see if Bioxx might change his mind later on. Or we go back to a Forge only server.

Right now I'm really not liking the prospect of running a Forge only server. That would mean we loose the following:

• No block logging. Can't prove who griefed something and no way to undo damage without rebuilding.
    • No locking of TFC inventory blocks. Anyone in your town can steal your stuff.
    • No ticket system. If no staff is available, your only option is to go to the forum and ask for help.
    • No ban aggregation. Known griefers can join at will.
    • No private warp points for players ("weekend warriors").
    • Moderators can't do their jobs. They can't vanish to check up on reported players. They can't inspect player's inventories. They can't kick or ban players. They can't teleport players. Only admins (OP) can actually help players but only in a very limited way putting more strain on our staff.
    • The ability to update plugins without server down time.
    • The ability to easily move spawn when resources around the current spawn are depleted.
    • The ability to easily regenerate chunks if they become corrupted.
    • A couple of others but I can't remember them of the top of my head right now :B

Thoughts?

I posted a video demonstrating the anvil bug on the TFC forums at roadies post. The server I used contained only Forge and TFC, no MCPC+ or other addons.

The only real gamebreaker bug is the double-ingot eaters that are anvils, and from what Marius has said it isn't to do with MCPC+. I think people can live with the other two, as long as they know how to fix the inventory bug. Even with these bugs MCPC+ is still much more useful than Forge.