Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Version 0.78.7
    New Features
    • Added a Global Decay multiplier. This multiplies against the entire decay algorithm. Setting this multiplier to 0 will effectively turn off decay.

How about we turn it off then?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    Version 0.78.7
    New Features
    • Added a Global Decay multiplier. This multiplies against the entire decay algorithm. Setting this multiplier to 0 will effectively turn off decay.

Depends how we feel about freezer outposts. If it's considered silly that most towns have an outpost at ~18k then sure, decay does little more than force odd teleports. On the other hand, you have had to make the long journey once, and being able to freeze your food is the reward. Furthermore- we want to encourage trade between players. I have witnessed food being used at trade-good at several occasions.

Personally I'd like to keep decay at some degree, because it let's assures food will always be a priority. As it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post

I'm a rather casual player on your server, i don't mind logging in without food. Gives me a reason to breed chickens and plant crops in the right seasons. For me decay can stay as it is. Stockpiles and stockpiles of food are just a little silly, TFC is not about easy mode its about planning for me.

Over the next week or so, I will be tweaking the food variables some more, so keep an eye out for any drastic changes if you notice them and please let me get some continued feedback. If I get things right, there shouldn't be any noticeable changes over the course of the days.

I'm a cat!

Thx Katt! You are the bestest admin evr!

But, no, seriously, you rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodekatt View Post
    If I get things right, there shouldn't be any noticeable changes.
    You just described my job!

my 2 cents (probably all its really worth).

Food decay should be itemizable. not all food spoils/rots at the same rate. If I pick a tomato and leave it on my windoesill to 'ripen' it can last days! A glass of milk on the other hand will taste nasty if left out for 24 hours. For meat, I believe a jerky option should be instituted as, after all, that's what early pioneers and settlers lasted on. I understand there is a salted meat option so my jerky thought may be moot. Also, the hunger bar depletes way too quickly. IRL a person can last for 2-3 weeks with no food depending on weight, body fat, etc.... TFC is supposed to be more like RL so starving in 1 minecraft day is a bit absurd! I have loved TFC since playing release 75 but this new TFC has become a game of food/water micromanagement and less about building and exploration and overall fun. A 'game' should be fun, not tedious and frustrating. Thanks for listening to my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by wcorbett View Post
    my 2 cents (probably all its really worth).

Food decay should be itemizable. not all food spoils/rots at the same rate. If I pick a tomato and leave it on my windoesill to 'ripen' it can last days! A glass of milk on the other hand will taste nasty if left out for 24 hours. For meat, I believe a jerky option should be instituted as, after all, that's what early pioneers and settlers lasted on. I understand there is a salted meat option so my jerky thought may be moot. Also, the hunger bar depletes way too quickly. IRL a person can last for 2-3 weeks with no food depending on weight, body fat, etc.... TFC is supposed to be more like RL so starving in 1 minecraft day is a bit absurd! I have loved TFC since playing release 75 but this new TFC has become a game of food/water micromanagement and less about building and exploration and overall fun. A 'game' should be fun, not tedious and frustrating. Thanks for listening to my 2 cents.
    This is something you should probably be leaving as feedback on the TFC forums. I've already said mostly exactly those last two lines already in the TFC IRC, and they more or less completely didn't care what I had to say. I actually have not even played at all on the server (b78) since we've updated. While I'm on it, it's generally only to assist players and randomly do stuff in creative. It's because of all this micromanaging and high levels of unrealism with the food and such that I have no longer been interested in "playing" the game, as it feels more like it's work and tedious, like a job, than fun like what you expect from a game.

Minecraft is about creativity and building, with the difficulty of monsters, gravity, and lava there to make things difficult. While getting a stable food source off the bat is difficult in Minecraft, it is far from a core focus of the game.
    Terrafirmacraft is about surviving, trying to find food quickly enough before starving, gathering enough food to last a while, and then getting more, because what you collected has rotting away. Then once you finally establish a decent bit of food, you can begin to build a bit, while still dealing with micromanaging your food, deciding which is going to rot first so you can eat it quickly, and then eating enough different types so your HP pool is large enough to avoid being killed in two shots by a skeleton, or from a small fall.

This is why I really haven't been playing TFC anymore. It had plenty more challenge than vanilla ever had, and that's what I enjoyed it so much for. However, with this new direction, I don't find fun gameplay in it anymore, the ability to be creative and have fun building has been crippled by this micromanaging, and unrealistic food & hunger system.

I'm a cat!

I totally agree Katt! And oddly enough, with theupdate to 78.10, everything seems to have been ramped up! I timed it and my hunger bar is now dropping 1 bar every 2-3 rl minutes! In rl, I'd have to be eating every hour to 'maintain' a full hunger bar and if I didn't eat at all I'd starve to death in less than 1 TFC day! wow! Oh, and I'd post on the tfc forum but if they would ignore YOU, what chance would I have that my opinion would be worth anything. Its really sad the direction they've taken TFC in as I too am getting rather fed up with spending a good 75% of my time hunting, preparing, trimming, planting, and eating food/water and then doing it all over again and again once I've finished. I have gotten almost nothing done in my town lately because of this food micromanagement system and forget about any long term exploring without half an inventory of rotting food! Ugh TFC!

Oh yeah, J...I would fully support turning off the decay mutiplier thingy!
    Last edited by wcorbett; 28th April 2014 at 07:05.

New Spawned
    My whole understanding with the fact you have to eat all the time is that you don't get "Saturation" from regular food. Saturation is the vanilla mechanic that keeps your food bar from constantly depleting and you can read about it here. If you want saturation, you have to make meals. The only problem is that meals "Saturation" is based on taste and your cooking skill. So if something is "Terrible" the Saturation is very low or non-existent. With that said, we might want to have someone experiment and publish a list of meals that have high "Taste". Like before it's random combos based on the seed. If we can figure out which meals "Taste Good" and share it, then people can make those meals and get good saturation bonuses so they don't have to constantly eat. If you want to know more about how meals work in TFC, you can read that here.