Something to help the influx of new players

No, I'm not talking about turning them away or tarring and feathering them.

Would it be a good idea to maybe create 3-4 admin managed towny towns a good distance away from spawn in relatively unsettled areas to which new players could use as points to spawn to when trying to start out? They could be one chunk in size with maybe some of the same signs that are at spawn to remind them of the /rules and /t help commands, etc.

After those areas fill up, the towns can be disbanded and moved to more underpopulated areas.

Just a thought that might help with some of the typical "I can't find rocks!" complains we see once every 10 server ticks.

I think it is a good idea since it is difficult to find materials and wild food close to spawn to have a decent start-off point.
    I agree.
    If you wonder why I'm not that active anymore, I became the dev of this:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/sinking-simulator-2

Kingston is always happy to supply materials to the noobies :s We have for quite a while now!

Great! Didn't say no one was helping them, nor was this an accusation. However, the area around spawn is crowded and will continue to be more crowded as more new players who don't have the adventuring spirit settle next door. We can of course tell them to go to the dynmap, pick a town far away, teleport there, and then explore but it would be easier to just say "type /t spawn north" or "type /t spawn frontier" or whatever.

well i just joined, took me 2 starvations sitting at spawn before i found a public town to warp to distant from spawn. a random /wilderness or even a few listed public towns would be nice.

trial and error is ok for patient people, but new players are rarley patient lol

It's getting pretty bad now. I've started to make 4 towns to the North, East, South and West of Spawn so new players can teleport there and start in a fresh area if they wish. The town names will be 'North', 'East', 'South' and 'West'. Easy to remember. :P

So far only 'North' has been created. I'll get to the rest when I can.

Sverf
    South will be pretty cold though, but who knows there might be people looking for harsh conditions

Bueno! That's exactly what we need. Thanks!

The towns are done. Teleport away. :P