Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This sounds like what happened when TFC was released on 164, except plugin stuff was being actively developed back then. I really like the way the B78 server is set up with players able to choose what and how they protect things.

Something like Towny would be really important, HappyDiggers is a happy place where people are free to play, not hiding in fear of murder and pillaging. I have almost no experience with other servers or plugins so I can't suggest anything, but maybe there's an alternative or a workaround out there somewhere, other plugins/mods we've not heard of?

Minimising staff work is important, it's not fair to make them run around checking up on everyone all the time, that's neither quick nor fun, and with less tools it's harder to prove things.

I wouldn't feel particularly safe or relaxed in just a whitelisted server, griefers must enjoy griefing and would happily lie and jump through hoops to prey on the weak and vulnerable.

Paying to enter... we'd probably have most of the regular players who are familiar with the server but that's going to put a lot of people off, and things would still be unprotected. It's important to have noobs so I feel a little better about my accomplishments!

Enabling thieving and pvp I suppose is an option, but there are many servers like that (not necessarily tfc) and I like how different HappyDiggers is. I played a pvp server once, I got familiar with a neighbour, quietly got to level 30 ready to enchant diamond stuff and then he just stabbed me in the back and stole everything. Didn't feel like going back. There would be a lot of hiding in underground bases without any protection and we should be out there building great things.

Another option could be to have a separate server running for B79 if it's going to play so differently and keep the B78 one going, but that probably involves money and I don't expect you to do that.

So, what protection tools are available, and what can they do?

Sverf
    I know people are working on a replacement for bukkit and its plugin system written from scratch called Sponge running on Forge, but I think it will take quite a bit of time before its in any usable state.
    Also Sponge's api is incompatible with bukkit's plugin API so all plugins will need to be updated to a new API. Though there are also people writing a plugin for Sponge called 'Pore' which can load bukkit plugins on Spore. Anyone still following?

http://www.spongepowered.org/
    https://github.com/SpongePowered/SpongeAPI
    http://lapis.blue/

So hope is not lost, but in what time frame we are talking about is a whole different matter.

The only other plugin I know of is the Faction one and not sure if that could be tailored to fit HD or if it even works in the first place.
    http://i.imgur.com/v4naT6Q.png

Plugins means Bukkit. And there is not Bukkit support for Forge on Minecraft 1.7.10 which is still being actively developed. So unfortunately we can't use plugins with TFC b79.

Sponge is something that's being developed for Minecraft 1.8 so that's going to take quite a while before we can use it. Also TFC is not available for Minecraft 1.8 and I'm guessing it's going to be long time before that's out too.

As Commiellama2 pointed out. Back when we started the current server on Minecraft 1.6.4 plugins and MCPC+ were still actively being developed. Now that's not the case. The Minecraft community as far as the server-side of things is concerned is dead for Minecraft 1.7. Hopefully with 1.8 things will change, but right now it sucks to want to do a public server with mods like TFC.

Age restricted white listing is an option. That's not to say that people won't simply lie about their age.
    We could also go a little more vanilla style and look for means of very basic land protection, but disable teleporting/dynmap, and other tools in which people use to easily get around and greif. The harder it is for greifers to track, find, and reach other players who wish to play peacefully, the more effectively it detours it. Also rotating spawn location every so often, maybe weekly for the first month, we'll resolve the issue of everyone cluttering near spawn and bickering about others being too close.
    Last edited by DigitallyFidget; 7th October 2014 at 08:03.

I'm a cat!

I reckon we should just wait. Without the API, theres no protection plugins, and that'll mean all hell can and will break lose. Even if we REALLY want a b79 server, waiting until at least all the bugs and glitches are worked out in hotfixes and patches before updating might save the hassle of fixing a potentially game/server breaking problem (much like those corrupted chunks that kept showing up a while back... which were caused by a plugin I think, but still.)

We can't disable what we do not have. For b79 there are no means with which to teleport since that is all done through the use of plugins currently on b78.

I've been submitting crash reports to the author of MyTown 2. If he manages to get that up and running and compatible with ForgeEssentials we could at least run with basic plot protection and some other stuff. Although we should then really find a way to explain to people that whomever they invite to their town has access to everything in that town. Meaning they can steal whatever they like and then just leave town. A rat maze with right/wrong answers to progress at spawn should probably do the trick.

Although we currently have no means to pre-generate a large world which would mean a lot of lag as people explore the new world. Maybe Fred could help us out in that regard. Which reminds me, I have a letter to write...

i have read all the comments to this thread and sadly cannot think of any suggestions.
    however i am very exited to play b79 and i guess i will just start a single player world of it for now.
    but i would like to offer myself as help in anyway that i can if there is any way that i can.
    whatever is needed to get b79 on happy diggers would be fantastic.

I think the easyest thing to do is to keep the old one, but if we want a brand new tfc server with the latest things, there are 2possibilities: 1: have server sided mods that act kinda like plugins, 2: have proper tfc compatible mods that can be used for town protection, like kinda warded blocks.

wat i think is easyer is the option 1: I would code like a chest where you put the heads of the players you want to be able to access the chunk and interact with the stuff., and you can get the heads with a command so you can put them in the chest or use as decoration. in the second option, I would code a block you would have to craft that when placed you can put the names of the persons you want de be able to do, and you could craft personal chest like the one in ic2 but with an oldish texture thing.

if you have an idea please say it.
    I will start coding this weekend or if i finished all my homeworks. ( buisy week)
    If you wonder why I'm not that active anymore, I became the dev of this:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/sinking-simulator-2

Honestly, if lag happens and people have a problem with it, they're beyond welcome to go elsewhere to an underpopulated server that may disappear in weeks that has less lag. So I really don't care one direction or another about players having a problem with lag. It's the nature of coding a game engine and server to run in java.

The issue with inviting someone to your town and them having access to everything is sort of a risk that's somewhat a "you get what you deserve" sort of deal. If you invite any random stranger you don't know, you're opening yourself to the strong risk of unknown behaviour by that person. I personally view the fault as the person who invited, not the invited thief, if something gets stolen. Already this is a big problem. Town leaders invite people, and then those people take stuff and leave or somehow greif the town. So I don't see this causing much more of a problem than what already exists.

It really falls to fault of the inviting person no matter how you look at it. This might actually encourage people to think about it before just inviting whoever asks into their town. Likewise, you might want to be a little more hesitant about jumping into a town that takes in anyone without question. There's a likely chance your stuff will get robbed by the next random invite of the 'we take anyone' leader blindly inviting a thief into the town. Still, I stand on the idea you getwhat you deserve, and if we put that sorta upfront as a rule/policy, it should reduce the amount of town member greifing garbage, since you can pretty much ignore it if someone complains about someone they wanted to invite.

I'm being a little ranty on this topic, sorry. Not exactly intended.

If I was going to set it up, I'd do it in the following manner:
    Application white-list, age: 17+, minimal land protection available, just a simple tool to claim a plot of land and disallow other players from opening doors/containers or breaking things, and flat out if you get robbed and didn't protect your stuff, then that's your problem, or if you invite someone to have permissions in your area and you get robbed, again.. that's your problem, not ours.
    Anyone who causes a problem and becomes banned may appeal the ban decision, publicly, and between community, mods, and admins, a decision can be made.

I've played on a server that was ran just this way. It was a great server, too. Things went very smoothly. Oh, and pvp was enabled, but don't be a troll about it.
    Last edited by DigitallyFidget; 7th October 2014 at 14:13.

I'm a cat!