Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    playing without the towny teleport actually sounds refreshing to me however would it be possible to have to option to craft an enderchest (it would have told hold things that typical tfc chests wouldn't) that would make trading and interacting with the other players easier?

assuming my town gets working would that solve all our problems?

i really like J's idea of the maze test no one would be able to ignore the rules any longer
    not that ignorance was ever an excuse.

as for pvp if we must HAVE to have it then ok
    i can kill anyone i want at any time, any place, with my lava bukkit
    that doesn't mean i am... but i understand there will be trolls and douchebags

smart moving will still be added, right?
    Last edited by AngelToker; 7th October 2014 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodekatt View Post
    I've played on a server that was ran just this way. It was a great server, too. Things went very smoothly. Oh, and pvp was enabled, but don't be a troll about it.
    PvP could be handled like it is on the HappyDiggers Minecraft server, just stricter. Including the rules in that spawn maze we've been talking about would help. Essentially it could be something like, If you kill someone on purpose and you have not both publicly announced it is okay to do so, you are vulnerable to a warning/ban based on the digression of staff regardless if it was mutual on skype, teamspeak, etc.

I agree with kodekatt exept for the age limitation, it will just keep other people out without a valable pretext, that's kinda discrimination even if you get about 50% 15 years old that just wanna troll. A way to get arround it is to have to post an application where you talk about yourself, why you want to participate, what you could do for the community, and alone this will filter out about 90% of all trolls, without discriminating by age (btw, there are still people that with 18+ are still trolls and some 12 years old that are not) (also when I was younger, I souffered alot about these silly age restrictions, and that was verry demoralising)

I like jiro's idea the most since it will also filter out many trolls, but less than kodekatts one (in my opinion a bit too radical) and i could rapidly make a prism like plugin with not too much effort and (like angeltoker said with his bukkit of lava) ill make it register when someone dies because of lava or blocks placed by someone. a basic interaction restriction mod could also be done fast (and for lag's sake like kodekatt stated in a previous post that java is "laggy" (it's simply because tfc doesn't use the magic of multithreading wich could reduce lag by up to 4) ill make the mods work in a different thread)
    If you wonder why I'm not that active anymore, I became the dev of this:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/sinking-simulator-2

I'm not entirely fond of age restrictions, but I rarely play on vanilla servers that don't have one, because it does help and does make a huge difference. From an admin perspective, I'm not interested in babysitting a bunch of little kids who don't yet understand how to correctly socially interact with other people. I'd rather that if we have limited powers and tools for our admins and moderators, then we at least reduce the amount of babysitting needing to be done on the server. If we had the full range of plugins as we do on 1.6.4, then age becomes less of a problem because catching and kicking/banning those who play like anarchists is far easier.
    I can go on a whole detailed explanation of why I would prefer having an age limitation, but I'm trying to keep it simple and not get into personal experiences, and differences between adult and child psychology.
    Last edited by DigitallyFidget; 7th October 2014 at 23:12.

I'm a cat!

I understand your concerns katt , but I'd rather code for 20 hours straight than have the tfc server becoming age restricted. This is why i started working on the mods, they are already promising. didn't test if it needs a client tho. what i'v done: setup the base of a mod based permission core.
    I will (probably tomorrow) start coding some basic prism like registration, based on the chunks, and it will be 100% tfc compatible and will register the full entity with all its contents, metadata and others. J, dont worry about disk space and processor beiong eaten up by it, ill do so you can set what is the longest time an info may be on the log and specify if you want all options or not ( default being true).

if you have a wish for a specific command that does specific stuff, just ask.
    If you wonder why I'm not that active anymore, I became the dev of this:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/sinking-simulator-2

While I really appreciate you starting to code already, you should really hold off on that for now until we've hammered out some specs first

I'll post some specs in the VIP section so we can continue discussion for those mods there and not detract from the b79 topic too much.

I'll assume MyTown 2 will get up and running soon-ish. Forge Essentials has a permission system we should use, no need to invent the wheel twice. I've asked the MyTown 2 author to support this and he seems willing to do so.

What I'm looking for are the following:
    • World border replacement with fill function. (Sorry Katt, I don't want a laggy server.)
    • Lockette replacement.
    • Basic Prism replacement.

In that order. Again, I'll post some specs in the VIP section and you can decide if you'd like to code those things for us

I'd really love it if the teleporting gets removed or atleast greatly reduced. If no protection plugins can be implemented, I think whitelist is the way to go.
    http://i.imgur.com/v4naT6Q.png

If you don't like teleporting, then don't use it? Or do you object to other players having the ability to teleport? In which case I would ask: why?

We're currently working on some ideas to get some basic protection for the new server. Fred has graciously offered to code a few mods for us. There's no ETA but I expect it to take a few weeks at least before everything is ready and good to go

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    If you don't like teleporting, then don't use it? Or do you object to other players having the ability to teleport? In which case I would ask: why?
    I just find it a shame that people build long roads or raillines and then 2-3 people use them ... only once.

Thank you Fred for being willing to help us out.
    http://i.imgur.com/v4naT6Q.png

To be fair, teleportation has a huge effect on the dynamics of a server. It's not possible for a single player to abstain from teleporting without being affected by the rest of the server using it, unless they choose to live a solitary life, in which case they might as well play single player and avoid the latency issues a server brings.

How teleportation shapes a server: There is little reason to build infrastructure when you can pop from anywhere in the world to any town of your choosing. If you go on a trip, being one command away from home means you never need to bring provisions for your return trip. It's also a quick way out of troublesome situations. Without teleportation, there is more reason to have full-fledged secondary bases in areas with interesting resources, to build roads and infrastructure. This makes the world more immersive because location and distance matters more.

I do understand teleportation helps with giving people enough space to explore and build in without ending up with unreasonable travel times to visit other people. You could get the good parts from both worlds by having teleportation only between several hub areas in the world and allowing large, well-run towns the opportunity to become a hub themselves, if they're not near another hub. This way you can still visit other people with a reasonable travel time, and these hubs would become prime locations for trade, a place for a second home, as well as iconic places that give the server more character. Bonus immersion points if you integrate the teleportation mechanics into a believable build like a ship in a harbor or a railway station with a large train cabin that you enter to teleport.