Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tenterro View Post
    I see. But there's no bushes in the list of the most numerous entities. And there are many fruit trees at spawn, the most popular place where people meet. So I think it's the first place that should be optimized.
    Don't you think that many NPCs at spawn could also produce many unnecessary recods?
    As I said server outposts are already going to be edited. Since we only have one builder progress is slow. I can't do everything myself, and other staff are busy as well Spawn is included in this since it is a server run land.

As far as your rule change proposal we will take it under advisement, though I'm not entirely sure I like that idea. Tilled soil and crops account for much of the issue as it is additive and allowing more farm land would be more of a hindrance.

Quote Originally Posted by tenterro View Post
    All I ask for is just review the rule

• 1 plot of berry bushes. This means 16x16 = 256 bushes. They may be in more than one plot, but 256 max.
    • 2 plots of tilled soil farmland. This means 512 blocks. They may be in more than two plots, but 512 max.

to

• 3 plots of berry bushes or soil farmland. This means 738 blocks summary of bushes or soil farmland. They may be in more than one plot, but 738 max.

In summary this is the same for the server.
    I don't think it will be the same for the server. Reason being that if we allow "3 plots of something", players will stuff those 3 plots with the first thing they can get their hands on. Which is basically what people have been doing up until this point. We want players to look and trade for more varied food sources. This is also the way TFC is designed to work.

In my head this is the way things play out.
    • New town starts with one or two people.
    • Town residents gather up some food stuffs. Not nearly enough to fill a single plot with food items.
    • Town grows.
    • Farms yield their first results.
    • More plants and berry bushes are planted.
    • First animals and fruit trees come into play.
    • Town is looking good, more people join.
    • Over time plots get filled with veggies, berry bushes, fruit trees and farm animals.
    • Food goes to waste a lot.
    • Town goes hungry.
    • More food goes to waste.
    • Town figures out how to preserve their food efficiently.
    • Town has way more food than it eats.
    • Town trades food for other stuff.
    • Profit!

In the end the result may be 3 plots filled to the brim. But until that happens the server load will be lower. And when it happens the players will have done a good job at either playing TFC to it's fullest, or being sociable on the server and trading with other players. Either way should provide a good time.

Is this an unrealistic scenario? Has anyone complained about starvation yet since we implemented this rule? I'm asking seriously because so far I haven't heard any complaints. The rule isn't supposed to make players miserable. It tries to find balance between playing TFC and not overloading the server.

Yesterday I played on Outlast's server which also uses Cauldron. They have the same problem we do with the mass disconnects but don't yet seem to be implementing any measures to prevent it. I'll ask their admins if they have come up with a idea on how to combat the situation.

Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    Being inactive for some time, I hope to finally have some free time a bit closer to the weekend and be able to help with this. But probably you guys with your productivity will finish all the editing till that time already ))

As I understand the task is to edit outposts a bit, decreasing the number of the mentioned tile entities, i.e. making them to comply with the new restrictions. Farmland+crops is not present in outposts i think, so fruit trees and berries then. I will not touch Spawn: too much responsibility, too sensitive and public area.

If some outposts can not be easily downgraded w/o loosing their core beauty, let's discuss them here, maybe the author could be able to give design advice.

I have added a new column to the Google Doc spreadsheet, to mark which outposts were checked+fixed.

Other than a few players groaning about the rule, I haven't seen or heard of anyone complain about any hunger pains. :P

For me it's not question of hunger. I love TFC for its opportunity to build beautiful houses and gardens. And for me it's the question of design. Why I can't feel free to build my garden the way I want, decorating it with bushes as I like, keeping in mind that I will produce less entities that other towns allowed to? I just want to make nice and beautiful palace and don't worry about that someday admin will come and remove half of my work.

About scenarios you described. Everyone plays MC the way he or she likes. For me it's the building and aesthetic. I've almost built the whole palace without making any anvil at all. Is it real scenario ment to be played? I don't think so but I don't care.

And after all that I've done to the server why don't you let me just to build my own garden like I want? I will keep the general limit of entities for a town but little bit other way. I don't ask for anything else.

have 1000+ crops if is changed to:
    # Whether or not crops will die of old age.
    B:enableCropsDie=false

maybe this kill many unused or careless crops.

And if have one method to one time a year revert all farmland into dirt, this kill all old unused farmland.
    Maybe winter!

We have decided to make the following changes to the rules. This should give players more freedom to play however they prefer.

Each town may have:
    • 4 mature animals of each kind. This means: 4 cows, 4 pigs, 4 horses, etc. All mature, not counting young animals.
    • 3 plots of tilled soil farmland or berry bushes. This means 3x16x16 = 768 tilled soil blocks or bushes. They may be in more than three plots, but 768 max.
    • 9 fruit trees total. (All kinds allowed: red apple, green apple, banana, peach, etc.)
    • 1 of each kind of anvil. (copper, bronze, wrought iron, steel, etc.)

With regards to the tile entity limit, pretty much everyone has their farm by their home where they spend time. Do these tile entities count all the time, or only when in loaded chunks? Would distant outpost farms help unload tile entity memory whilst people are not near the farm or would it make no difference?

As far as we can tell it's all about tile entities in loaded chunks. So yes, having farms in far away not-loaded chunks will help reduce the server load. Those chunks will however update whenever a player teleports to them causing a lag spike. But that's the case whenever a player teleports so that's ok.