Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    Again an attempt to make the largest charcoal pit?
    http://happydiggers.net/showthread.p...l-pit-achieved!

Quote Originally Posted by Heptagon_ru View Post
    Again an attempt to make the largest charcoal pit?
    http://happydiggers.net/showthread.p...l-pit-achieved!
    Actually it was a test. I was talking with the TFC devs about charcoal pits and found that there is actually no max size anymore. I gave it a test and well you know the rest.

There is still a max size

Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro_89 View Post
    ... no max size anymore ...
    Awww, a charcoal continent!

Right now the Hardcore world runs on the same Minecraft instance as the regular overworld does. This causes some timing issues. To work around this we're going to setup a new server just for the Hardcore world. Work on the new Hardcore server is progressing nicely.

The current and new server will be placed behind a proxy. This allows us to do some really cool stuff with the server.

• The most obvious benefit is a performance one since the Hardcore world will no longer affect the regular overworld.
    • The proxy allows us to setup a fall back server where players will get redirected to when one of the servers goes down (daily restart after backup). We're hoping this will also help with people getting disconnected periodically due to the large amount of tile entities.
    • The lobby server is an old favorite of ours. It was used for one of our regular Minecraft servers and features a ton of mini-games like: spleef arena, mob arena, pvp arena and my personal favorite paintball arena. There will be no building on this server. Just some things to pass the time while you wait for a server to come back online
    • We are going to start caching Minecraft player sessions. This means that when the Mojang servers go down again, you will still be able to log in if you do so from the same computer and launcher (which also has a cached player session).

For players nothing much will change. We're going to setup a portal at spawn that will allow you to go to the Lobby server at will, and vice versa. Regular overworld and Hardcore players will remain seperate like they are now. Chat will work as before. I've made some really cool scripts that allow the Towny gobal chat channel to be send between servers. If you don't want to play on the Lobby server, you don't have to. It's just an extra option.

I'm hoping I will be able to get this new setup running sometime during the upcoming weekend, probably on Sunday. There is going to be some down time. When I know an exact time I'll update.

Today I spend the morning trouble shooting my PC and ended up reinstalling Windows. When that was finally sorted we discovered that the map we had planned for the Lobby server doesn't work well with TFC. This has to do with the fact that we lowered the world to accomodate for some mountains around the spawn area. It looks really nice but given that floor level is at Y:8 everything looks very dark. We can raise floor level and get rid of the mountains, but that would mean manually editing all the worldguard regions, mob arena regions, pvp arena regions. spleef arena regions and paintball arena regions.

As a result of all of this we're postponing the server migration to a later date.

I have started the HappyDiggers TFC server migration. If all goes well we'll have two TFC servers after this. One regular and one for the Hardcore group. Both servers will be accessible via a proxy so the server IP will remain the same.

During the migration the server will be down. There's quite a lot of data that needs to be moved between servers, most of it database related. This is probably going to take an hour or two.

We have separated the regular and hardcore worlds. Unfortunately the separation seems to have aggravated a bug in TFC reported by Jiro earlier. As a result the hardcore world has become unstable. We're hoping that TFC 79.18(?) will fix this.

Separating the two worlds was more involving than we had initially anticipated. One more thing we need to do is clear out the HC player's inventories in the regular world. We'll do this today. If the HC players wish they can play in the regular world as well. For now we're keeping the whitelist on the hardcore world as we previously had.

HappyDiggers TFC has been updated to use TerraFirmaCraft 0.79.18.673 for both the regular and hardcore servers.

You can download this version here: http://terrafirmacraft.com/download.html

Also please take a look at the changelog: http://terrafirmacraft.com/change_log.html

And as always please report any issues you may encounter

The Hardcore world has been moved, destroyed and re-created to, on and at a new server. So as of right now we have linked together the Regular and Hardcore HappyDiggers TFC servers behind a proxy. This means players join our server at: tfc.happydiggers.net:4000 and from there they can go to the Regular or Hardcore TFC servers. There is also a Lobby server which has a ton of mini games which acts as a fall back servers when one of the others fails or is taken down for maintenance.

The Hardcore map is 42.000 x 42.000 blocks in size and is fully pre-generated. This means it's smaller than the Regular world which is 80.000 x 80.000 blocks in size. Nevertheless it's still a huge map.

Right now we're still keeping the Hardcore server whitelisted so we don't open the floodgates of regular players there right away. The idea is that we don't want to get a ton of small towns on the Hardcore world. To help this further we require new players, on the Hardcore server only, to play 48 hours before they can create their own towns. In the mean time they are free to join other people's towns. To make sure nobody gets left behind in the wilderness we are starting a server town. Everybody will be welcome to join this town if they wish. The whitelist will be removed in about a week or so. From that point on players will be allowed to move freely between the Regular and Hardcore servers. Player inventories are not shared between servers.

There are 3 ways to travel between the servers.
    1. Use the /server command. This gives you a list of servers which you can visit. For example: /server tfc
    2. Use the portals. Just walk through them to initiate transport.
    Spoiler!

3. Use the hologram signs. Just click on the sign to initiate transport.
    Spoiler!

Towny's global chat channel [g] is transmitted between servers. You can easily recognize which server someone is chatting on from the server prefix. Town, nation, private and other chat channels are local to the server you are on and thus not transmitted to the other servers.
    Spoiler!

Each HappyDiggers TFC server has it's own Dynmap:
    http://tfc.happydiggers.net/
    http://tfchc.happydiggers.net/

To help players find their friends on the server we now have an integrated TAB screen that shows online players on all three servers.

Spoiler!

That's it for now. Have fun on the new Hardcore map. And if you have any trouble please let us know