A Day in the Life of a BOFH

We all know Jiro is our resident BOFH Admin. What many people don't know is what BOFH means. Here are a few stories which may help to clear that up

Sorry, tears of laughter here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11...14_episode_10/
    "You told me you used tiered hierarchical storage!"
    "We do. Tier one is Solid State Disk, Tier Two is normal disk, Tier Three is crap disk and Tier Four is nothing."
    "That's not hierarchical! Hierarchical differentiates on data availability and access time."
    "Sure it is. Access times are: super quick, pretty quick, reasonably quick and infinity."
    "Surely people notice!?"
    More here: http://bofh.ntk.net/BOFH/index.php

Classic BOFH:
    Another user rings.

"I need more space" he says

"Well, why not move to Texas?" I ask

"No, on my account, stupid."

Stupid? Uh-Oh.

"I'm terribly sorry" I say, in a polite manner equal to that of Jimmy Stewart in a Weekend Family Matinee Feature "I didn't quite catch that. What was it that you said?"

I smell the fear coming down the line at me, but it's too late, he's a goner and he knows it.

"Um, I said what I wanted was more space on my account, *please*"

"Sure, hang on."

I hear him gasp his relief even though he'd covered the mouthpeice.

"There, you've got *plenty* of space now!"

"How much have I got?" he simps.

Now this *REALLY* *PISSES* *ME* *OFF*! Not only do they want me to give them extra space, they want to check it, then correct me if I don't give them enough! They should be happy with what I give them *and that's it*!

Back into Jimmy Stewart mode.

"Well, let's see, you have 4 Meg available."

"Wow! Eight Meg in total, thanks!" he says, pleased with his bargaining power.

"No" I interrupt, savouring this like a fine red at room temperature, with steak, extra rare, to follow; "4 Meg in total.."

"Huh? I'd used 4 Meg already, How could I have 4 Meg Available?"

I say nothing. It'll come to him.

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggh hhhhH!"

I kill me, I really do!

Yep, that sounds about right