New Spawned

Town Assistant Rank Bug

I've encountered a strange bug (probably not a bug, but config issue):

Observation 1: Town assistant can set plot permissions (fully) on un-owned plots.
    Observation 2: Town assistant cannot build/destroy/switch/use on a plot with it's permissions set off (--- --- ---)

This behavior is unlike the permissions currently set for town majors, which can B/D/S/U on any plot regardless of permissions set on plot.

This is normal and default. Assistants are a trusted position that have access to change settings in the towns they assist in. While they can't take immediate actions due to being a resident status to plots, they can make changes to the permissions.

New Spawned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro_89 View Post
    This is normal and default. Assistants are a trusted position that have access to change settings in the towns they assist in. While they can't take immediate actions due to being a resident status to plots, they can make changes to the permissions.
    Seems a bit counter-intuitive for the role of an assistant to be demoted to resident status in a hierarchical system where they hold power at the top (town) but not the middle (plot) or bottom (resident).

I'm trying to make use of the town rank system to create a white-list approach to access control on specific plots, to avoid lockette, since it's limited to 3 users per chest.

Perhaps there's a solution I'm not aware of yet.
    Last edited by p20ph37; 27th February 2015 at 19:18.

Assistants are not demoted.

Assistants are there to help players in a town sort things with perms and such. To assist the mayor so he doesn't have to do everything himself. Assistants aren't the mayor or server staff and thus aren't allowed to build in any plot they please.

If you want to give certain players more permissions to a certain plot while preventing outsiders to switch, you can do that already using friends. See Towny commands:

Code:
    /resident

• /resident
      • - Shows a player their resident screen.
      • ? - Shows /res commands available.
      • {resident} - Shows a player another player's resident screen.
      • friend
        • add {resident} .. {resident} - Resident adds online player to their friends list.
        • add+ {resident} .. {resident} - Resident adds offline player to their friends list.
        • remove {resident} .. {resident} - Resident removes online player from their friends list.
        • remove+ {resident} .. {resident} - Resident removes offline player from their friends list.
        • clearlist - Removes all friends from a resident's friend list.
      • list - Lists residents in towny's data folder.
      • spawn - If deny_bed_use: true in the config.yml and player has a current bed spawn, command will teleport player to their bed.
      • toggle
        • map - Turns on map which refreshes when moving across plot borders.
        • townclaim - Turns on mode where /town claim is automatically used when moving across plot borders.
        • plotborder - Turns on smokey plot-border view. Border shows when players cross to different townblocks.
        • spy - Admins can turn on chat-channel spying.
        • reset - This turns off all modes that are active.
      • set
        • perm
          • {on/off} - Edits the perm line on the resident screen. See here for details.
          • {friend/ally/outsider} {on/off}
          • {build/destroy/switch/itemuse} {on/off}
          • {friend/ally/outsider} {build/destroy/switch/itemuse} {on/off}
          • reset - This takes the perm line seen in the /resident screen and applies it to all plots personally owned by the player typing it.
      • tax - Shows taxes a player pays.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lockette isn't limited to 3 players per chest. If you run out of room on a Lockette sign, put another one on the chest/inventory/device.

Quote Originally Posted by Pernix_8D View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lockette isn't limited to 3 players per chest. If you run out of room on a Lockette sign, put another one on the chest/inventory/device.
    Sadly the Ausie is correct

New Spawned
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    Assistants are not demoted.

Assistants are there to help players in a town sort things with perms and such. To assist the mayor so he doesn't have to do everything himself. Assistants aren't the mayor or server staff and thus aren't allowed to build in any plot they please.

If you want to give certain players more permissions to a certain plot while preventing outsiders to switch, you can do that already using friends. See Towny commands:

Code:
    /resident

• /resident
      • - Shows a player their resident screen.
      • ? - Shows /res commands available.
      • {resident} - Shows a player another player's resident screen.
      • friend
        • add {resident} .. {resident} - Resident adds online player to their friends list.
        • add+ {resident} .. {resident} - Resident adds offline player to their friends list.
        • remove {resident} .. {resident} - Resident removes online player from their friends list.
        • remove+ {resident} .. {resident} - Resident removes offline player from their friends list.
        • clearlist - Removes all friends from a resident's friend list.
      • list - Lists residents in towny's data folder.
      • spawn - If deny_bed_use: true in the config.yml and player has a current bed spawn, command will teleport player to their bed.
      • toggle
        • map - Turns on map which refreshes when moving across plot borders.
        • townclaim - Turns on mode where /town claim is automatically used when moving across plot borders.
        • plotborder - Turns on smokey plot-border view. Border shows when players cross to different townblocks.
        • spy - Admins can turn on chat-channel spying.
        • reset - This turns off all modes that are active.
      • set
        • perm
          • {on/off} - Edits the perm line on the resident screen. See here for details.
          • {friend/ally/outsider} {on/off}
          • {build/destroy/switch/itemuse} {on/off}
          • {friend/ally/outsider} {build/destroy/switch/itemuse} {on/off}
          • reset - This takes the perm line seen in the /resident screen and applies it to all plots personally owned by the player typing it.
      • tax - Shows taxes a player pays.
    Yeah, I guess I was looking for a more granular approach to access control.