Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

New HappyDiggers Survival MC 1.20 server

For the past couple of years now, I think, we've been working on a new Bukkit/Spigot server. And although a lot of progress has been made, it has never been finished enough to open to the public.

So I've decided to start over again. But this time we're going to come out with a simple spawn area on a magnificent world seed and skip all the other things we had planned. Well maybe except for the Island World (skyblock) because that's simple enough to setup.

The world and spawn area have been setup in a 1.17 world which you can view on Dynmap and the screenshot below:
    https://mc.happydiggers.net/

Name:  MC_server_spawn_1.png
Views: 240
Size:  4.80 MB

We start you of on an island in a small warm sea biome. Boats will be provided. From there on out it's regular survival Minecraft using Towny to claim and protect plots of land.

Right now the world is generated in Minecraft 1.17. I'm waiting for the 1.18 release so I can regenerate the world using the same seed. I think we should be able to upgrade the world as well, but I'd rather just start fresh to avoid terrain generation issues altogether. For this I'l just save the region file that contains spawn and delete the rest. Then upgrade the spawn area and generate everything else. That shouldn't take too much time to complete.

So for now we need the following:
    • Minecraft 1.18
    • Spigot updated to Minecraft 1.18
    • Plugins updated for the new Spigot version.
    • Regenerate the world for 1.18.
    • Open the server and never take this long to get a server done ever again

oh, and we should probably update those server intro and server commands videos from the server info thread at some point because those are out of date.

Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    Hello

I was thinking of playing MC again, with today's 1.18 release (but tbh not sure if all the new MC complexity gonna be enjoyable. sounds as if too many things has been added)

So I was thinking about which HD server to try - the public MC one or the VIP Vanilla one.

The public MC one seem to be a nice choice (had read the recent news post about its plans): 1.18 soon, reliable Towny protection and probably tp for convenience, ...

VIP Vanilla is also a decent choice as usual. But - will Vanilla be updated to 1.18? especially considering all the magnificent uber-projects going on there ...

I quite liked how the official Vintage Story server deals with updates - they just shift Spawn around 50 000 blocks East and place teleporterts to connect the old and the new Spawns. Good both for old players and the new ones. Idk if it is applicable to MC, especially with its multiple dimensions.

Looking forward to playing Minecraft with you again

Vanilla Minecraft is still pretty simple compared to modded Minecraft. Sure there are a few more "machines" now, but I'd hardly call a smoker complex as it's just a furnace that will only accept food stuffs. It's pretty much like that for the other machines as well as far as complexity goes. Also they're mostly optional.

The VIP Vanilla server will also be updated to 1.18. And yes, it will get a new 1.18 world while keeping all the older worlds available for those who wish to play there or just drop by and visit Which reminds me, I should update the Vanilla server thread on the VIP section with some pics. I finished the Quad Witch Hut farm. It's pretty sweet.

While I definitely would enjoy visiting your base etc, I am not sure if we will be able to play together I have always had and still have this complex when I am not able to keep up with more experienced people and somehow play together. It is always "wow, he is doing a cool stuff, it would take me 100 times longer to make it", so I avoid such interactions to prevent any burden on people.

I have explored this complex from slightly different side in another MP game I play - Planetside 2, which is very social, and you get the most from it when play in a squad or in small team e.g. driver+gunner. I am a fine gunner or squadmate (a passive role), but as soon as I have to take initiative (be a driver or a pilot with another person gunning for me, or try leading squads ) - I get my brain fried, I just panic and instantly say that I am not experienced enough and can't provide a good gaming experience for the teammate(s).

But with time passing, with some more (painful) experience and just age I might have changed so yeah it would be interesting to interact again and to see how it goes.

As for "Minecraft complexity" i did not mean the mechanisms. I know that mods are much more complex than Vanilla, I have played the HD modpack, and it was crazy and cool yeah, so much options. But for now I don't want it too much, I have Factorio if I want to break my brain a bit

I meant the world generation - they added a lot of new stuff, so for hoarders like me it might be too much, to visit all the new places, to gather all the new blocks for potential building, to try to build, using this stuff etc. Highly probable outcome is that my brain is overwhelmed with all this shiny junk and I burn out and give up

I guess I'll wait for the VIP Vanilla update then, sounds nice. I have played on it before, so don't see much reasons to switch to the public one, even if it has Towny for easy tp.

Haha, yeah, post pics please, it is amusing to watch such huge crazy projects.

Like we've told you many times before and like I'm going to repeat as many times as you may need to hear it:
    You are not a burden. Don't worry about just haning out on the server and not building an empire or flatting a mountain. It's all good. Really

As for the hoarding part. That's what trade is for. Need some of the new cave plants? Trade beef or cake or rockets or whatever you have on hand. Even if I don't really need anything, I'll trade because it's fun to do so. There are several worlds on the server you can visit so if you have stuff in your old base, feel free to pick it up and use it in a new world. That's part of the current server I really enjoy. With the 1.17 world I didn't have to start all over. I could bring in tools and materials and get started on building stuff right away rather than having to grind for resources first.

Last night I did some experimenting with upgrading the regular MC server. This has resulted in the following:
    - Not all plugins are up-to-date. Or rather, they don't use a proper implementation of the Spigot API. So we need to wait on a few plugins, shouldn't be more than a few days.
    - The seed mechanism in Minecraft has changed. I knew about this, but somehow forgot. What this means is if you generate a world pre-1.18 with a given seed, a world generated in 1.18 with the same seed will look completely different. So it's either upgrade the world from the screenshot above (Mojang has made sure this works reasonably well), or look for another seed with the same charicaristics. I'm inclined to do the latter since I really want a pure 1.18 world for the new public Minecraft survival server.

I use the Seed Searcher Standalone Tool to locate seeds and went through several million before I found the one above. It really helps to have a 12-core CPU going full speed on such tasks. Anyway, the dev of that tool is actively working on upgrading it for 1.18. That will hopefully only take a few days as well.

This Sunday, December 5th, is Sinterklaas (think OG Santa). So we'll have to see how and when I get the new update running on our servers. I'll try to do it promptly because I really do not want to keep the MC serveer whitelisted much longer.

Thank you

The old words are accessible for public MC, not for VIP Vanilla, right? Neat feature of course.

I guess I will actually try to hop in to the server before 1.18 update, to refresh my MC experience a bit and see what the existing server looks like. Also need to dust off all MC tools like MultiMC, and maybe something about MC account, I vaguely remember Microsoft doing something with it ...

I did not expect that all the third-party developers would update their plugins/tools so fast. But I guess it is expected for such a popular game. Thank god you don't have such pressure on yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Heptagon_ru View Post
    The old words are accessible for public MC, not for VIP Vanilla, right? Neat feature of course.
    The other way around. The VIP vanilla server has previous worlds. The public survival Minecraft server will only have the 1.18 world.

You can see the VIP vanilla worlds on Dynmap:
    https://vanilla.happydiggers.net/

Awww so awesome. Wow, I played last time so long ago, in 1.14. My beautiful unfinished tower ...

Tried to visit Vanilla and MC servers, using MultiMC and MC 1.17.1 - Minecraft can't see any of the servers. Are they down? OR maybe I need to convert my Mojang login into Microsoft one?