View Poll Results: Open up Hard Core World to the public?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 38.89%
  • No

11 61.11%
  • Other - Please explain in a post

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HC Whitelist Elimination Discussion

TFC doesn't like having multiple worlds in one server. Hard Core world has been plagued with time and config related bugs from the start that have progressively worsened as updates rolled out. We're moving HC to it's own server to eliminate most, if not all, of the bugs associated.

The HC server move is coming up soon and we'd like input from the community on whether we should make the HC group public. This would mean that anybody can come and go from the HC world and overworld without needing whitelist permissions. This also would not change any of the HC rules regarding teleports, hard mode, towny toggles, etc. There wouldn't be any transferring of items between the worlds since they're different servers.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

To be clear on the server change, the only thing it will affect is where the world is located. Chat will still be integrated between servers.

Personally, I like the whitelist? But that's just me. It's not exactly hard to join HC, and the whitelist could keep trolls or some such out?

Its a tough call for sure. Splitting a server population up like this could very well prove disastrous. However, if it is prone to problems that have no other viable solution, gotta go with what will work. HC is a sort of club for the more serious players, and for players who understand TFC a bit. Opening it up to the public could possibly destroy the sense of community HC players share, causing some to leave it. Since I am a relatively new member, and not part of the HC group (yet), my view is only from the outside looking in, so take all the above with a grain of salt

Regards,
    Chocmerc

Quote Originally Posted by chocmerc View Post
    Its a tough call for sure. Splitting a server population up like this could very well prove disastrous. However, if it is prone to problems that have no other viable solution, gotta go with what will work. HC is a sort of club for the more serious players, and for players who understand TFC a bit. Opening it up to the public could possibly destroy the sense of community HC players share, causing some to leave it. Since I am a relatively new member, and not part of the HC group (yet), my view is only from the outside looking in, so take all the above with a grain of salt

Regards,
    Chocmerc
    Thanks for the input. Though they'll be on separate servers they will still be linked chat wise as they are now. The only proposed change would be that people can come and go at will.

Would the HC server need to run on separate hardware, or is there not quite enough RAM to share between 2 server?

Quote Originally Posted by Commiellama2 View Post
    Would the HC server need to run on separate hardware, or is there not quite enough RAM to share between 2 server?
    They will be on the same machine.

To be able to link the servers together we're moving from one Minecraft instance to three. It's going to look a little like this:

• TFC server with the current Overworld.
    • TFC Hardcore server with the current Hardcore world.
    • Lobby server.

The lobby server is going to be regular Minecraft with a small world which will act as a hub between servers. This server will also have mini-games: Spleef arena, Paintball arena, Mob Arena, PVP Arena and parcour. Players will still use the clients (with TFC installed) as they do now.

These server instances will be linked via a single proxy so the experience of traveling between servers will be seamless. You only have to connect to 1 server (tfc.happydiggers.net:4000) and can travel to the others from there. You will be able to travel between servers using commands or by using portals.

The Lobby server serves several purposes. It will allow us to have a fallback server if one of the TFC servers crashes. It gives players more, hopefully, interesting things to do. It serves to draw attention to the fact that we have 2 TFC servers running. One regular, one hardcore.

The proxy server will also allow us to cache Minecraft player sessions for when the Mojang servers go down. This will allow players to connect to our server as long as they have logged in there before and are still using the same computer while the Mojang servers are down.

This setup is going to cost us more resources than we are currently using. We're moving from one 10GB Minecraft instance to two 6GB TFC instances and one 2GB instance for the Lobby. We can switch RAM between instances as needed. We're hoping that having two non-whitelisted servers will balance player bases, and RAM usage, between the servers better.

Will inventory not carry across to the hub server, to maintain no trading/headstarts for people heading to hardcore?

People who are voting. Would you mind elaborating a little? You are of course welcome to your opinion, I'm just curious what you guys are thinking.

Things that come to my mind are:
    • It's a bit more effort to join Hardcore and that by itself will keep the world 'cleaner' with regard to the amount of towns.
    • The world is huge. Having a lot of small towns shouldn't matter much.
    • People signing up for these forums to apply to the whitelist may allow us staff and you, the players, to have more interaction with players.
    • Hardcore players have a bit of an elite status on the server. They have to put in more effort. I could understand why you guys would want to keep that.
    • If players are able to join the Hardcore world with the option of going back might allow more players to give it a try. Who knows, they might like it. And if they don't, then they can continue playing in the regular world. Right now it's an all or nothing kind of deal. We've seen players leave the server because they choose poorly.

Please let me know what you think

Quote Originally Posted by Commiellama2 View Post
    Will inventory not carry across to the hub server, to maintain no trading/headstarts for people heading to hardcore?
    Inventories for each server will be separate. Meaning you can't take stuff from one server to another. This is something we will never change.

So yes, trading in Hardcore will remain the way it is now.