Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    The idea of probationary/Lite permission groups for admins and moderators sounds like a great suggestion. If someone does end up donating just to make a big mess of everything, limiting their access to commands for an allotted time period will minimise the damage that needs to be fixed. I'm sure you guys got sick loading backups and such because I broke something on the server by accident. I don't think you guys need a bunch more admins doing that for you as well. Especially on purpose. :P

Something along those lines would work. I suppose we could set admins to watch these new admins/mods as well (sort of like, lets say, a probationary officer), but that'd be a little excessive. :L

Also for the 75-100$ we could make a private lobby for our donors. I'm not talking about a private lobby server like we have to separate the HC and TFC servers. What I have in mind is that we can offer them a private world/mini server where they can play with friends and this can also come with a private Teamspeak Channel with full permissions on it. The certain donor can moderate his world as he likes and he can whitelist who he likes.

This can also be on any server, modded or vanilla, if he wants to experience with his fellows a TFC like game or pure Minecraft. I'm thinking about this since the 75$ price range can cover, let's say, an 8, maybe 10, people private server on a hosting company. If we want to we can solve this way the problem with "buying" Admin and Mod ranks, so they can be the staff of their own world.

This sounds like it'd be an absolute pain in the arse to set up and maintain, though. :L

I wouldn't be too concerned about abuse of power if someone donates enough to obtain a mod or admin rank. We have soooo many safe guards in pace to prevent any ill doing and we'll find out fairly quickly. The only thing I'd be concerned about is global banning. That could cause issues with our server reputation on MCBans. It's a very strict process and even those with the best intentions can make mistakes with the system. If there was going to be probationary specific ranks I would focus solely on the global bans.

On paper of course, there really isn't that much more damage a mod can do versus a VIP. We recently increased VIP privileges to include the /mute command which makes the VIP like a mini mod without some of the bypass privileges. If someone wanted to abuse their privileges then we'd catch on pretty quick and can have it sorted out just as fast. Even an admin wouldn't be a huge risk. If someone ranks up naturally or by donating the players are already in a probationary period so they can adjust. It took me several months to be able to flex the full extent of my privileges effectively and correctly. And as Pernix pointed out, we have backups of backups. It's like a backupception.

Hope that helps clear up some of the abuse of power concern.

Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    Nice, maybe the probational staff could be allowed to wield local banhammer only.

Btw, it is probably worth mentioning in the donation rules that previousely banned/warned/... people are not allowed to participate, right?
    Last edited by Heptagon_ru; 1st June 2015 at 21:16.

Good feedback so far guys. Just keep the ideas and thoughts flowing. There is no right or wrong here

One thing I'd like to mention about the @happydiggers.net email account that nobody seems to realize (because I didn't tell you :B) is the following:
    • The email server is hosted in The Netherlands.
    • Email in The Netherlands has the same status as regular snail mail, meaning you can't just open someone's email.
    • The email server has no commercial aspect. This means your email isn't scanned and used to show you ads.
    • The email server runs on Zimbra which is just about the best web mail client you can get. It beats Gmail and Outlook hands down.
    • You can have Zimbra import email from Gmail and Outlook.com and use several identities to send and receive email from a single location: the web mail client.
    • @happydiggers.net > @gmail.com

That being said. I can understand if people don't care too much for this one since it can be quite a hassle to change your primary email account.

I'm not worried about probationary members abusing their powers. At best they can do that once, then they are banned. If they want to steal our server files, I really couldn't care less. Look at all the public TFC servers out there. They can technically do the same things we are doing, yet for some reason we are way more popular. I don't think that's just because we are better at the server stuff than they are

I'm thinking about the idea Marius proposed. To give people a server of their own if they donate a certain amount. Setting that up isn't too difficult, I've done that in the past with the private Skyblock servers before there were Bukkit plugins to make it easier. Such a server would have to be more than just a 5-slot vanilla server (aka sucky Realms). But less than a modded TFC server. I think we should measure such servers in GB of RAM allocated to the Minecraft instance. The biggest challenge in this is to provide safe and convenient access to the server owners. Right now we don't have a central control board. Everything is done through custom scripts and SSH access. Shouldn't be too hard to get a Minecraft management tool up and running.

Alternatively we could tell them: you are the server owner, but we do all the maintenance. If you want something done, send us an email. This way we could setup the server running Spigot, Cauldron or Forge plus plugins and/or mods for them and not worry about the security issues. This would however create more work for us which I'm not sure is something we'd want.

*edit*
    About in-game items. There are some rules we need to follow for those. Long story short, all in-game items must be strictly cosmetic only.

In the case of TFC I think this provides us with a little wiggle room, but not much. Which is why I'm not too keen on this kind of reward.

Cosmetic stuff like a holographic head (or body) is fine:
    Name:  2015-06-02_12.40.09.png
Views: 290
Size:  355.6 KB

In-game items such as dispensers, horses or food are not. And things like beacons, gold/diamond blocks or cake are borderline since they can't be used in TFC but can be used in regular Minecraft. We'd have to explain this distinction every time people ask about it.

I have no problems giving away a ton of stuff as long as it's all cosmetic. Also installing plugins that do 'fun stuff' without influencing gameplay is on the table. Please focus your ideas there if you think we should do more in this area

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    Also installing plugins that do 'fun stuff' without influencing gameplay is on the table. Please focus your ideas there if you think we should do more in this area
    I agree that we need to be very careful about our donation perks. However, if we use a couple of plugins that don't influence gameplay, then we can run those without breaking Mojang's EULA. These cosmetic plugins usually come with lot of permissions that we can stratify through the donation ranks. For example I had set up (on a previous server) the DisguiseCraft plugin so that higher rank players had more choices of disguises to become. This was purely cosmetic, but it made a statement when you were a Ghast sitting at spawn and no other player could look like that.

Plugins I recommend so far:

• DisguiseCraft (give players access to disguises based on donation level)
    • MyPet (give players abiltity to capture pets based on donation level, remove PvP and other game mechanics, permissions here)
    • Custom icon on dynmap for town. (give players icons based on donation level)

If we are to promote the servers, from an administrative point of view, we should advertise as much as possible. This means I will be streaming much more during the donation drive and probably put up a video or 2 disgussing the benefits of donating.

Also, we need to be sure that the "consumer" is protected by making it clear that their cosmetic donation perks aren't permanent. The chance that we have to remove/config plugins in the future could be very high.

For cosmetic/fun you can also include something like:
    • The ability to have a coloured name
    • The ability to type with colours in chat
    • A plugin that adds a small minion that you can use for X times a day for X seconds/minutes/hours
    • An interesting plugin that lets you catch a mob with an egg? (http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/mobcatcher/ ... there is a spigot link too)
    • A roulette that you can use X times a day to gain something? (an ability maybe, jump higher for 1 minecraft day, be faster, or shine in dark?)

Yes to:
    • Colored names;
    • Colored chat;
    • Ranks based on amount donated. We need to come up with couple of interesting ones. Not stone, iron, diamond, etc.
    • Minion that doesn't actually do anything for you gameplay wise;
    • Mob disguise. The mobs you get access to depends on the amount donated.

No to:
    • Things that give you special abilities (affects gameplay);
    • Catching mobs with eggs (affects gameplay).

There have been a lot of good ideas in this thread so far. Thank you all for you input. I'll try to come up with new tiers+perks soon. As you may imagine my attention is currently focused a little less on Minecraft with the newborn creating poonamis like it's a sport :B

If someone wants to have a go at the tiers feel free to do so. Saves me some work

Wink

I'd love so much to donate some money right now, but I am quite low on money (steam sale + I'm still in high school). But my game seems to currently be quite popular (I really have no idea why) because it has climbed to the top 100 with one demo and one video (some pics too and a patch). It will probably be sold end july. I hope that then I will have enough budget to help you, who gave me an opportunity in my programming career and such a nice time on your servers. I sadly do not stick that much to minecraft anymore :/, so you wont see me allot in the future... for now, my sincere thanks will have to suffice
    If you wonder why I'm not that active anymore, I became the dev of this:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/sinking-simulator-2