Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    Any progress with the tiers and donation table? Not pushing, I know you guys are busy and I feel awesome about that.
    Just curious.
    Can't wait to have a more significant instrument to ... hmmm ... surprise ... hmmm ... some nice people. Fireworks work surprisingly well, but still
    Maybe post here some very draft, raw and ugly version of the new table, so people could discuss and improve?
    Or you already have this in "Staff" forum section? :-P

Oh well, I have already learned to emulate an effect of disappearing in an explosion of fireworks using fireworks and /t spawn :-P
    Last edited by Heptagon_ru; 9th August 2015 at 22:39. Reason: past -> past perfect. for perfection.

I haven't forgotten about this. I've just been busy with other things lately. A newborns takes up a lot of time, not to mention it doesn't help with my chronic fatigue. As a result thinking up new and creative ideas has taken a backseat lately.

Things I'm considering doing are removing the probationary admin rank. Mod can stay. Filling up the blanks with plugin craziness that doesn't affect gameplay.

We've had private skyblock servers for donors before. It wasn't a success. I don't think offering private servers for individuals will work. But a larger donor server might.

Another thought: the time delayed permission to create a town on the TFC Hardcore server seems to be working well. I'm thinking about maybe adding this to the Regular server as well when we reset the map eventually. Donors then get to skip in line and can create a town right away. This will allow them to get a start and to gain more residents for their town since many players will be looking to join a town. This will prevent the large amount of ghost towns and help make the donor towns better. Thoughts/comments?

Another time related donor perk. Cooldown period for teleports. Now people teleport all over the place. We could add a cooldown period for this and give the donors zero delay for teleports. What's a reasonable delay, but one that motivates people to donate? Maybe 5 minutes by default, 3 for tier 1 donor, 1 for tier 2 donor and 0 delay for tier 3 and above?

Those both sound like good ideas and well-balanced perks, not getting a bunch of stuff for free but a nice little bonus.

I wonder if the teleport delay might be easier in MC time scale, so maybe once or twice per day for regular players and more teleports per day for donators... or would the IRL time system be better?

Somewhat ontopic thought, a year or so we considered using gems for teleport fuel, maybe that could be instated and donators get free teleports? Teleports could also be done via some sort of handheld teleporter (or just an enchanted book) plus gems from inventory?

Donators could get higher animal populations for their town, that's something that would appeal to many people

The idea to be able to bypass the Hardcore time delay for time creation is solid.

I'm not so sure about the teleport delay though. I love the idea, but I'm not sure people would be keen on becoming a bit more limited if they don't donate even though it's too much of a change.

Commie's idea of the increased population is nice but I'm not sure it's worth risking server stability. If it was paired with the teleportation limits it could work to an extent, but it would still be a risk and we wouldn't be able to allow much more than is already allotted for animals and crops.

The way I see it teleport time delay should hurt players only a little, just enough to be an incentive to donate. You teleport to an outpost, do some stuff there, then teleport to your town. As long as the 'do some stuff' part takes longer than the teleport cool down you won't even notice it's there. On the other hand, if you just want to grab some food from an outpost then you will notice the cool down period -> a donation can fix that for you.

It's a bit risky, but it may also motivate players to donate more. If you think this won't work, please share your thoughts.

As for the animals. When we reset the map (no plans for that yet!) perhaps we could start with new rules. Right now towns can have 4 mature animals of each kind. That's a lot of animals. I'm thinking maybe we could change that to 8 mature animals total, doesn't matter which kind. Then the donors can get 12, 16, 20 depending on the donation they've made.

Also we should make new rules regarding pen size. Animal enclosures with more than 1 animal inside should be 16x16 blocks in size (including fence) per 4 mature animals. Bumping animals eats a lot of CPU time so keeping that down helps a lot, and it will make for better looking farms.

There's definitely some major pros to the teleportation incentive. At worst there would be some minor complaints but we won't really know until we give it a try. It's something new and if it doesn't work out we can revert it, but I believe it's worth the risk as you said.

I really like the pen size idea. Having a limit on the number of animals per chunk will go a long way in distributing the load.

You can add this plugin for donors, I'm sure they will like it!

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/buyheads/
    There will be Halloween now every day yay!

And also if you want to look fancy you might want to try a banner on your head. http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins...anner-1-8-gui/

1. Have I understood correctly: keeping animals together in one enclosure is bad for the server, because it calculates their hits into each other? Good, will separate them.
    But: even if we put them into small rooms - what about animals hitting fences or blocks - is it easier for the server?

2. I had a solid impression that Mojang EULA forbids any advantage got from money, which influences gameplay.
    Creating your town ahead of others, "forcing" other players to join you instead of making their towns, therefore getting an advantage of growing faster only because of donor perk - seems a gameplay advantage
    Same with teleports: a donor can instantly tp to a freezer and grab a bite, continuing to work in a mine. Therefore he will mine faster, progress quicker. Again a gameplay advantage.

Personally I welcome these changes, I especially like the anti-ghosttown idea. But still ... EULA.

Animals bumping into another animal, bumpingin into a wall, then the animal again, then the wall again, etc. That's what causes high server load. A single animal inside a small pen doesn't matter much. That animal bumps into a wall and then it just stands there for a while before bumping into it again.

As for gameplay changing donor perks. I think it's a good thing you bring up this point. And we need to figure out a way to deal with it.
    About the EULA:
    Spoiler!

This is a bit of a pickle. They say: "Remember – if the stuff you sell affects gameplay, we’re not cool with it."
    If you look at it in black and white then every change we would make to the server, every single one, affects gameplay. This includes cosmetic changes, as well as blatantly selling blocks for cash and everything in between. In fact, running TFC and charging for access might be against the EULA since it changes gameplay. Which is a contradiction because they allow you to charge for server access in the first place, and then say you can't further down. So I think we should look at this and ask if the proposed changes affect gameplay in a meaningful enough way that it would be considered unfair to other players who do not donate. Because that is what I think Mojang tried to do with their 'new' EULA: prevent unfair pay-to-win servers from exploiting players.

-Does having more animals, that you realistically don't need, affect gameplay in a meaningful way?
    -Does removing the cool down period for teleports, which would increase server performance, change gameplay in a meaningful way?
    -Does removing the wait for access to /t new command, which is just that: time, affect gameplay in a meaningful way?

So yeah, a lot of the things we could do with the server conflicts with the EULA. However we could choose to ignore the EULA. That would get us kicked of the TFC forum and.... nothing else really. But is that something we'd want to do?