Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The problem is not *explaining* her skills. It's a fantasy story, they can explain it however they want. The problem is she's a boring protagonist with no nuance at all. Finn has far more potential than her for character growth. Rey is superwoman. Finn is everyman, in the same way Luke was(if not more). It remains to be seen whether this is lazy writing on Disney's part, or if they actually have good reason for turbo-charging her into super-boring territory (and amplifying the boring by making her foil a whiney goth-vader-wannabe) in 1 movie, to serve a good plot later. Given the degree of recycling they've done so far (desert planet start, empire is enemy, death star is MacGuffin) I don't have high hopes. Best guess, Rey goes dark, Finn helps redeem her somehow. But only a little - because girl-power. The main thing I'm looking for is seeing if they run with the humanizing of stormtroopers theme. That would be great.

Edit: btw, video games aren't necessarily the greatest place to look to for good story writing and characterization, or canon. Though I'm not aware of the how that game falls in terms of either.
    Last edited by grizzle; 20th January 2016 at 22:34.

She also grew up in the lore / stories of it, han says its true, so stories of the jedi mind trick, and what they could do may have been well known, and maybe thought of as fiction, but the events made a believer out of her?

Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    That Danny Trejo's picture is amazing. It seems to be a real one:

Grizzle I dont really think she is a boring character, and yeah it is true that Finn has been better developed but even still she has plenty to offer and I am interested to hear her backstory, also the humanizing stormtrooper bit would be better as a novel or a comic, not a full feature film. And the video game is actually much more developed than you think. The guy with the blue lightsabers was Vaders apprentice after his father was killed by Vader, he then betrayed Vader and Palpatine and founded the rebellion, so hes kinda important.
    Sup

Obviously I don't want the movie to revolve around stormtroopers. it's just something that I would like to be touched on more. It seems like there's a chance of it, given that the chrometrooper was given very short screen time in this movie, for being someone they obviously have ideas about (I gather they cut a fair amount of footage of her?) But we'll see on that, and we'll see if Rey is just a shallow superwoman.

I mean, if I was criticizing episode 4 without seeing any of the rest, I'd very likely be complaining how Luke is also a boring protagonist, for opposite reasons. Only having seen all 3 originals can I say he has a good character arc. But at least he had a lot of room to grow after ep4. I think what it comes down to, is that the originals were written with a drawn out, nuanced main character, and Lucas was willing ot make the audience wait to see him grow. The newer stuff is written for today's young people, with quick gratification, because that's what they want. Instant icons are need, so the kids want the toys. Movies today have to be about the merch, in a way that the originals did not have to be. At least they avoided the total kid-pandering of jar-jar-esque characters.

As for the Force Unleashed, it was released in 2008 ya? I would imagine it therefore falls under everything else outside the six movies, as non-canon legends, with hyped up theatrics/force use to make a more appealing game. All the more non-canon since it sounds like it violated the Sith rule of 2.

True it did violate the rule of two but technically he wans't a sith, he was a dark jedi that later became a jedi again (basically Revan) and yes it does fall into the legends category. And what you said about TFA is pretty accurate but I suggest you watch the pre-quels because if you compare them to TFA you will see why everybody loved the fim so much (because if Disney would've f*cked it up they would have the biggest ammount of backlash... well in history). Also I would like to give a better example of non-canon awesomeness:

This deserves to be a film. Although my only complaint is that they have the wrong lightsaber!
    Sup

lol, seen this?

The postcard is gold

First tiny footage of episod eight was published

Site in in Russian, but just click the video, nothing more valuable there.
    http://lenta.ru/news/2016/02/15/stw/