Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Something has to have changed somewhere. As per the wiki:
    The tracking of decay is based off of the calendar date and time, so skipping time forwards through the use of a bed or commands will result in the food decaying the same amount as if that time frame had passed normally.
    So on a server that runs 24/7 you'd need to logon to trim your food every few hours with vanilla decay rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbett View Post
    Something has to have changed somewhere. As per the wiki:

So on a server that runs 24/7 you'd need to logon to trim your food every few hours with vanilla decay rates.
    That is what has been going on for as long as the servers have been running. I guarantee that NONE of the food in my town exists anymore, since I havent played on there for about 8-10 months. The recent update is to blame, not a change in configs.

Have any of you tested the food decay in a single player instance with the current TFC version yet?

V.I.P.
    I played on HC all day with the exception of doing some porting around in Regular to test environmental temps.
    I'm so over the current decay rate though.

Food decays at an increased pace in the following places:
    Barreles of vinegar ( pickled). Inventory, general. Inventory, vessel. Sandwich crafting grids. Barrels of brine. Chests. Sealed Ceramic containers. IN Vessels placed in the world. In Cold environments. ( In fact temp no longer seems to do much)
    In addition we tried the following in efforts to slow the decay without any noticeable success:
    Pickling. Drying. Drying and Smoking. Salting, Brinring Smoking.

I will now go putz around in SP and set up a test area and see if I get the same results.

Edit: Preliminary testing is.... Shockingly. Normal. Food is decaying at the accustomed gentle rate. Sandwiches can be held for 15 minutes without starting to lose mass.
    Last edited by TheForestHermit; 27th January 2016 at 08:40.

Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    Yesterday I harvested 3 potatoes, combined them into one, and this served me without any decay for about 30 mins at least. Then I logged off.
    But it could be that "initial decay protection", that prevents any decay on a freshly gathered food.

I also saw 2 potatoes in a barrel and some food on kitchen tables in the new Refugee Camp which LP and TheForestHermit made near the Ark. The potatoes were with 0.1% decay, i took them from barrel and placed back - no change. And food on the tables was also pretty fresh, less 1% decay. I assumed that LP/Hermit logged off some good time ago, like an hour at least. Unfortunately I didn't thought about checking the placing time by prism

So strangely I see no decay increase yet. Which may be because I don't play much.

[+] About the need to trim food each hour: as I understand, this was always pretty true for food in loaded chunks.
    When I had a vessel of pretty fresh sandwiches just from my freezeer on me (4 sandwiches), sometimes the last one was half-decayed when I got to it. And when I logoff with the full vessel, I could login and have all sandwiches fine, or they could be gone. I guess this depends from: was anyone in the chunk when I was offline.

When you have your food in a freezer which is most time in an unloaded chunk, food does not decay there much, and there is a special config option "useDecayProtection" which tells if the food should catch up with the "planned" decay. As I understand HD servers have it "true", i.e. unloaded chunks are perfect freezers.

This leads me to a question: TheForestHermit, can the decay increase which you noticed be because you are now sitting mostly in one place near the HC Ark? I mean you guys made a nice camp there and maybe do not go out much, therefore chunk is always loaded. But previously you traveled more and food chunks got unloaded for long time?
    Last edited by Heptagon_ru; 27th January 2016 at 08:22.

V.I.P.
    The question of being in loaded chunks is kind of not really applicable?
    We have been living in loaded chunks for two weeks now or so. Yes we all take excursions away from the camp, but we all spend considerable time in the camp, processing metals and smithing. Mining very nearby.
    We are quite used to constantly loaded chunk decay times.
    And actually, when items were in a sandwich crafting grid, we rarely ( read almost never) could be bothered to trim the food. We would use it up in making sandwiches long before it would decay enough to matter. ( yes at the Ark, where it's loaded far more than not)

LarsonPacific and Dourne will back me in saying it's not even remotely comparable. The difference has been a shocking PITA.
    You -have- to trim your food hourly. You still wind up losing a good percentage of every piece, no matter what preservation techniques you employ. This.. is new for the HC ARK refugees, even in the tropics as it is.
    Last edited by TheForestHermit; 27th January 2016 at 08:53.

The mere fact that we all had chest(s) full of food and now we don't, says something. Some of my food wasn't even cooked, none of it was brined/pickled. I've gone from new character on HC to master cook/agriculture. I'm very familiar with food decay and have at one point read all there is to know about Terrafirmacraft before I even started playing this mod. This does not make me an expert, it only makes me not want to play very much because I know I will need to spend at least an hr 'preparing' for whatever I want to do that day.

this change whether intentional or not from the devs, is currently killing this mod.

I can verify we all have been doing food tests over the last 24 hrs. none of us wants to have to use 24 individual barrels storing food until we need it.

Before i logged off, i would say decay is off a bit. decay progression has been the following:

Cheese
    Cooked - worse
    pickled - next
    brined - better
    Smoked - best

this seems to not be the standard order of progression. I have the same for soybeans and potatoes. It has now been roughly 12 hrs since i logged in last. I do not expect to have any food left....let alone any fruit as it is seasonal and lost it all when we switched versions.

edit: soybeans decayed completely after only 12 hrs. this included freshly picked produce literally minutes before being brined/pickled/cooked.

LP has the numbers for the cheese described above.
    Last edited by Dourne; 27th January 2016 at 12:01.

Kitty fixed a "bug" in .27:

• Fixed decay tag truncating causing some foods to last indefinitely if the initial tick created a small enough amount of decay.

Though we have been able to store food indefinitely in freezers in unloaded chunks for as long as I have been playing TFC, the "bug" that allowed it to happen has now been "fixed".

Yes, all our old food is gone. New food does decay signifiantly faster. Whatever, doesn't matter, what it boils down to it this:

Food decay in single player makes sense.

Someone can spend an hour making pickled peaches in the morning, then close their world with the decay at 0.2%, go to school or work, come home, and continue like nothing happened with decay on the pickled peaches still at 0.2%.

Food decay in multiplayer doesn't make sense.

Someone can spend an hour making pickled peaches in the morning, log off, go to school or work, come home, log on.... aaaaand it's gone.

I don't feel that's fair to players.

Thus far, it's been workable, since everyone uses freezers which until now, stored food indefinitely without decay anyways.

In order to maintain the fairness enjoyed thus far in being able to indefinitely preserve our agri-culinary endeavors, I vote to either do away with food decay completely, or severely, severely impede it.

If someone only plays the game four hours every Saturday, they shouldn't have to spend all their time re-making all the food they made last week because it decayed. That's not how it would work if they were playing singleplayer, so personally, I don't think that's how it should work in multiplayer either.

Is my reasoning flawed in thinking this way?

I think a happy balance might be that food stored on the server should decay (after all, other events take place such as crops growing etc.), food in your inventory should not decay as you (and your food) 'aren't there'. We don't want to alter the game much from vanilla TFC without a really good reason though.

If SSP is exhibiting slower decay than SMP as Hermit mentioned, then we should look to kCauldron and plugins for the cause and solution first, and once that's exhausted then consider moving from default settings if there's something available.

Perhaps admins can check if the accelerated decay rate applies on the new servers which I think are running some more up to date code? Can someone give them something clear to test for, e.g. fruit decays 10% in 30 mins on multiplayer, 1% on single player?

All servers, old and new, currently run the same version of TFC and Cauldron and are up to date.