Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    V.I.P.
    I agree with LP. I'm not honestly super-obsessed with the why. If it's intended. If it's a bug. If it's cauldron.

It's the end result I'm concerned with. The current rate of decay is frustrating. May we alleviate it some. Please and thank you.

That said. My SP results were as I said pretty normal.
    Food decayed over a couple RL hours at a steady gentle rate.
    Raw food still died about 75% in those two hours, but properly smoking, pickling, drying food reduced that to a rate of something slightly less than a percent an hour. Not perfect. Maybe a little more than it was? But far more bearable than what's happening online atm.

As an aside for Jiro and J. I'm not trying to hound you folks as much as make it clear I'm not imagining this and it will make players pretty frustrated quickly in my opinion.
    Thank you very much for the effort you are putting in here. It's appreciated.

It looks like a new feature in Cauldron was causing the issue. I've downgraded Cauldron on the TFC servers and food decay should be back to normal now.
    Code:
    # 1.7.10-1614.176: 097252b 
    Add expermintal feature: tileEnitity list recreation each tick
    I'd like to report the issue to the Cauldron dev but unfortunately I can't log in, can't reset my password and can't create a new account there due to the fact that their confirmation emails aren't being send or are being rejected by two different email servers

While we did find the problem and corrected it, decay is still a problem. On a server which is on 24 hrs a day, food will not last 24 hrs. uncooked - 12 hrs. Anyone new will have the most difficult time keeping food available. Any preservation from this point on will require vinegar, multiple barrels of vinegar. This takes fruit which grows once a year. Without adequate supply of fruit no one can keep up with vinegar stocks. Once vinegar supplies are nominal (I'm looking at least 12 barrels), keeping food wont be an issue.

Are we considering this a necessary evil to play TFC? It certainly does not make it enjoyable.

I would vote in favor of at least 50% reduction of decay.

I can absolutely say for certain that the current default decay has been in place for nearly a year and a half now. People take advantage of the preservation techniques that you mentioned along with moving to a colder climate far from the equator (z=0) and increasing altitude. The drop in temperature greatly increases the longevity of food and if a player takes advantage of all these preservation techniques you can experience a very low decay rate.

V.I.P.
    I'm not convinced you are correct Jiro. The recent 'fix' to the truncated initial decay code seems to have made a pretty big difference.
    Even with the cauldron rollback the food decay is quite abit more obnoxious than it was before the update last week.
    Maybe this was the 'intended' default decay rate for the last year and a half, but we weren't actually having to live with it.

tldr: I agree with Dourne. A manual reduction wouldn't be unreasonable. The current amount of effort required to find/preserve to deal with food loss gets lame fast.

As per the TFC config:

Code:
    "food decay" {
        # If a food item has not been ticked for >= this number of days than when it is ticked for the first time, only a small amount of decay will occur. [range: 1 ~ 12000, default: 24]
        I:decayProtectionDays=24

# This is a global multiplier for food decay. Unlike FoodDecayRate which only modifies the base decay and not the environmental effect upon decay, this multiplier will multiply against the entire amount. Set to 0 to turn decay off. [range: 0.0 ~ 100.0, default: 1.0]
        S:foodDecayMultiplier=1.0

# This number causes base decay to equal 50% gain per day. If you wish to change, I recommend you look up a y-root calculator 1.0170378966055869517978300569768^24 = 1.5 [range: 1.0 ~ 2.0, default: 1.0170379]
        S:foodDecayRate=1.0170379

# Set this to false if you want food to auto decay when a chunk is loaded instead of limiting decay when a chunk has been unloaded for a long period. [default: true]
        B:useDecayProtection=true
    }
    This means that if a player/town were to find a cold, high, dark area (lets call this a freezer), in a location that is unticked for 24 Minecraft days (lets call this an outpost), then their food would not decay nearly as fast as any food in ticked chunks. Now lets say that the player is part of a community of players (lets call this a town) that has members that may be online at different times of the day and has crops growing and harvested all day long. An IRL day is 72 Minecraft days, or about 0.75 TFC years. So, if the town members were to only visit this storehouse twice in one IRL day, making large trips of goods, this would guarantee that the food would be preserved.

Many towns use this method and it is easily seen if you check the dynmap. I do understand that the truncated values will significantly contribute to faster decay due to the exponential decay rate dictated by the game. But, this is INTENDED by the developers and is an INTEGRAL part of why TFC is so popular and is a SURVIVAL mod.

TFC has a way of bringing people together doesnt it?

You're right Dom. So is Hermit. We've been living with broken for a year and a half. When I joined HC, I had no food preservation, if anything I only cooked it. Full chest of food and I'd make 3 vessels of sandwiches the night before so I could log on, dig my mine for an hr and log off. I'd do this in the ark, travel 1000 blocks away then come back. My food lasted a week or more, life was good. Now it doesn't. I don't get to do anything in the morning now but play other games, because of the decay issue.

No one likes doing chores before playing.

Testing indicates that decay is now doing what it it was coded to do. At the current temperature, unprocessed fruit will last just under two real life hours at the equator, which is in line with what I calculated it's supposed to be. Food will still never decay if the temperature is less than 0, as the function returning the environmental decay factor always returns 0 if temp < 0, which when multiplied with all the other decay rates and multipliers, will always return zero decay, as dictated by the following excerpts from TFC_Core.class:

public static float getEnvironmentalDecay(float temp)
    {
    if (temp > 0.0F)
    {
    float tempFactor = 1.0F - 15.0F / (15.0F + temp);
    return tempFactor * 2.0F;
    }
    return 0.0F;
    }

if (decay < 0.0F)
    {
    float d = 1.0F * (thisDecayRate * baseDecayMod * environmentalDecay);
    if (decay + d < 0.0F) {
    decay += d;
    } else {
    decay = 0.0F;
    }
    }
    else if (decay == 0.0F)
    {
    decay = Food.getWeight(is) * (world.field_73012_v.nextFloat() * 0.005F) * TFCOptions.decayMultiplier;
    }
    else
    {
    double fdr = TFCOptions.foodDecayRate - 1.0F;
    fdr *= thisDecayRate * baseDecayMod * environmentalDecay * protMult * TFCOptions.decayMultiplier;
    decay = (float)(decay * (1.0D + fdr));
    }
    Food.setDecayTimer(is, decayTimer + 1);
    Food.setDecay(is, decay);
    }

The people playing on hardcore the most at the moment, Hermit, Dourne and myself, have all never lived in the tropics in TFC before now. We've been living at the ark camp for a while now, and decay has been no problem for the month or so since we moved down; you could leave a stack of cooked peaches on the foodprep, and it would get eaten long before it would decay, which served to set our expectations of decay in the tropics. Then all of a sudden, overnight, everything is decaying ridiculously fast. Something changed to make the decay rate go from whatever softened state it was in before, to being what it's supposed to be, which freaked everyone out. We weren't prepared to instantly lose literally all our food overnight, and then have new food decay at a perceived accelerated rate. It's been a learning process to figure out how to best preserve fruits, but that's now a non issue in my eyes, as pickling fruits and leaving them stored in vinegar barrels makes them last as long as smoked dried cheese.

Like Dourne just posted, everyone on this thread is right. The big issue got fixed by J (big thank you for that!), food decay used to be broken, we all got used to it, now it's fixed and the tropics suck. XD

Anyways, in light of everything, I'm thinking we just leave everything be and learn to deal with the new normal... The new server will be ready soon, and we can all move back to our preferred climate ranges before long

Gathering all the ingredients for making a balanced sandwich might be harder now, especially at the tropics. But you don't need balanced sandwiches to be able to survive. Unharvested food doesn't decay at all so food shouldn't be that much of an issue as long as you have some farmland. If you have limited time, grab a few grains, soy beans and vegetables and you should be good to go for a gaming session.
    http://i.imgur.com/v4naT6Q.png