Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks for reporting this issue on the TFC forum LP

It looks that you got the response from Kitty that you expected. They're not going to do anything about it and instead recommend changing the config.

Do we want to change the config? And if so, how?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    Thanks for reporting this issue on the TFC forum LP

It looks that you got the response from Kitty that you expected. They're not going to do anything about it and instead recommend changing the config.

Do we want to change the config? And if so, how?
    I think decayProtectionDays=6 would be a good starting point. It allows for decay of food normally for food in players' inventories and in chunks loaded at least every ~2 real life hours, exactly as it does now, but should mitigate the lottery effect. If a player butchers a pig and logs off for an hour to eat, they will still get normal decay, but if they go to bed or work and log back on 8 hours later, they should be able to reliably pick up where they left off, which I think is reasonable. It basically will just treat players as being "in the game" for ~2 hours after logoff, instead of the current ~9 before applying the decayProtection mechanic, which given the playing habits of the regular players on the server, is a more reasonable figure... as I've not observed that when the average regular player logs out on HD, that it will "be at a minimum of 12 if not 18 hours before they log in again"

Am not sure where they came up with that number... but it sure wasn't here :P

It's because the TFC devs never really tested their mod on any serious server. Way back when we were running TFC on Minecraft 1.6.4 I offered them anonymous access to our server so they could get information from a heavily (30-ish) populated server with Opis running to see what players actually do and how this impacted server performance. They just didn't care. Which means we'll have to do what we've always done: make due with what we've got

I've changed the configs of all the TFC servers:
    Code:
        I:decayProtectionDays=24
    to
        I:decayProtectionDays=6
    Thanks again

cool thanks for the update. Looking forward to the new servers.

I finally found the bug!!

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/9...sian-roulette/

Turns out that due to this bug, decayProtection actually hasn't even been working... at all... ever. The decay truncation bug, along with low temps, was the only thing protecting food.

There will be a new release to fix it though! Hopefully it, along with the lottery mitigation config edits, will spell the end of this thread that will not die
    Last edited by LarsonPacific; 24th February 2016 at 20:57.

V.I.P.
    Dude LP! You are brilliant!
    I see Kitty isn't thrilled and may fix it by the end of March, but the awesome news is the other technically minded gent there is the TFNC coder. so technode will probably be fixed and shiny by the time servers launch.
    *does a little happy dance in her chair*

But no seriously. For someone who 'doesn't speak Java' that was some brilliant deductive investigation on your part.

Thanks Hermit I read that block of code sooooo many times; then finally it just hit me like a brick. lol Been staring right at it the whole time...

I just compiled TFC from source, replacing the line of code in question, and decay protection then works exactly how it's supposed to After actually testing it in action, using decayProtectionDays of everywhere between 1 and 24, 6 is still the best number as I see it to mitigate the lottery effect.

And thanks again J for making that config update Between that and the upcoming update, we should be good again!