How Voting Works
    Spoiler!

Structures Plus Non-Default Config Changes
    Spoiler!

How to use Protected Passives

Spoiler!

Donor Perks for HappyDiggers Ark
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Elbe97; 7th May 2018 at 09:57.

For those interested. Here's a wallpaper I slapped together yesterday to serve as the thumbnail to my server intro video:
    Spoiler!

Taking up residence on the west coast.

The Offline Raid Protection mod has been added to the mod list.

I "claimed" our server on arkservers.net. People can now vote for our server which will help it get a better ranking and hopefully attract more players to it.

You may vote for our server here: http://arkservers.net/server/happydiggers.net:27015

Or click on the fancy button below

Unfortunately the Offline Raid Protection mod seemed to cause too much lag for players connecting long distances away from the host server location. It has been removed. I'll be keeping an eye on the mod in hopes of more optimization and control, hopefully it can be re-added in the future.

V.I.P.
    That's kind of a bummer that didn't work out. We lost a bunch of our fledgling players because someone went around and not only raided them, but mostly demolished their homes apparently.
    Llama logged on and was so bummed out that his home and all his chests were gone he left looking for greener less pvp-enabled pastures.

I'm all for some pvp but crushing people as they are just starting out while they are offline is such a morale killer.

I've never been a fan of PVP. I think it tends to bring out the worst in players and the worst players in general. It's why I don't have it enabled on our main Minecraft servers.

However, I also don't play ARK. So I can't say for sure what it would do to this game if we were to disable PVP. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get feedback from other players. Either here or on Reddit, I'm not sure if Jiro started a thread over there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    I've never been a fan of PVP. I think it tends to bring out the worst in players and the worst players in general. It's why I don't have it enabled on our main Minecraft servers.

However, I also don't play ARK. So I can't say for sure what it would do to this game if we were to disable PVP. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get feedback from other players. Either here or on Reddit, I'm not sure if Jiro started a thread over there yet?
    As far as losing players, from what I've seen only llama decided to stop playing. He had a small thatch structure that one would have in the first hour of the game so there really wasn't much progression. I also spoke to him personally and he just didn't seem interested in the server in general.

PvE servers are wildly different compared to PvP. PvE becomes stale after a while. You progress, grab dinos, grab prints, and then bam nothing to do. Official PvE servers don't even have any space on their islands left for people to build, people literally can't place foundations and build a house because the entire servers are maxed to the brim with structures and dinos. Griefing is unchecked and out of control as well via structure blocking, dino luring, resource blocking, etc.

PvP servers present risk and the possibility of losing all your dinos and your entire base. They also present risk when just being out and about in the world gathering items. Some find this exciting, others struggle.

PvPvE servers (which we're running) encourage a community of players that hold each other accountable in matters of PvP. In every PvPvE server I’ve played on, it works really well. The community of players enjoy playing the game and any conflict that happens is minor and controlled due to the PvP rules of the servers, which is where the PvP is in the PvPvE. Without the support of the Offline Raid Protection mod, making a rule of no offline raids isn’t practical because there’s no way to prove such and such took/did such and such. That doesn’t mean we can’t have the rule but it would be more of an honor system than anything at that point, which is okay.

Bottom line, a combination of PvE and PvP give a variety of playstyles the chance to thrive and enjoy Ark together and I would not suggest picking one over the other. You could say the game is Hard Core survival and players should expect to have to defend themselves against wild dinos and unknown players. There are plenty of opportunities for players to make adequate defenses against other dinos/players, to join tribes/alliances, etc.

Ark can be a very frustrating game, especially when starting it alone with very little experience and being wiped off the map. The day after I got Ark and plowed a bunch of time into it a wild carnotaur took down my thatch shack while I was hiding inside it. He then held me off so I couldnt get any of my stuff. Discouraged, I quit playing single player forever and started my LONG search for a decent server. Played some PVE along the way and it sucks the motivation out of people. With PvE there is no use for most end game items, no reason to build quality structures, and worst of all no real diplomacy. In Ark, nothing brings people together better then a common enemy and nothing brings more people then a good fight.