Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Deviation rates in food decay

I've been trying to work out the actual decay rates of food in hard numbers. I started testing on my creative single player world but my results kept coming up different when I would repeat a test. This lead me to trying to work out deviation rates - how random are decay rates. So I filled my hot bar with raw beef and skipped forward 48000 ticks (2 days) using /time add 48000. After each test I put new beef in my hot bar and repeated that 10 times.

Here is the chart I came up:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 251
Size:  84.6 KB

The y axis is the decay rate recorded. the x axis is the test batch number. The red line shows the average of each test. The total average decay for a piece of raw beef is 1.86 decay. The highest recorded decay rate was 4.3 decay. The lowest was .1 decay.

I was hoping that this would work out as a nice bell curve but when I organized the results by frequency within ranges I got this:
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 233
Size:  16.3 KB

In other words there is no pattern to the distribution of decay rates. Decay rates don't tend to be anything. Instead all I can say about there being a pattern is that decay rates on a piece of raw beef over 48,000 ticks can be anything between .1 and 4.3.

Doesnt temperature and rain affect it also?
    If you keep going 2 days ahead wont that change temp due to season change?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainnmannx View Post
    Doesnt temperature and rain affect it also?
    If you keep going 2 days ahead wont that change temp due to season change?
    And that ladies and gentlemen, is why we do peer review.

Rainmaxx,
    Yes. That would change everything. The samples in each batch are consistent, (same temperature, season, and rain). However. the tenth batch was recorded 18 days after the first batch. This means that the batches shouldn't really be compared to one another, just the samples within each batch. I don't think this changes the basic finding though that decay rates are all over the place and cannot be predicted.

There is a bug in decay and Kitty announced lately that she will try to fix is ASAP, but may be unable to do it before May...

Quote Originally Posted by Chogata View Post
    There is a bug in decay and Kitty announced lately that she will try to fix is ASAP, but may be unable to do it before May...
    What bug? Can you link me?

It's been analyzed and tracked down in the TFC code by our very own LarsonPacific:
    http://happydiggers.net/showthread.p...Decay-on-Crack

And reported on the TFC forums as well:
    http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/9...sian-roulette/