Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    It's been a year. Time for some server stuff!

I noticed there's been significant chunk corruption on the Vanilla 1.16 world. The shopping island has been wiped along with half of someone's base near spawn and my witch farm is also cut in half. The automatic backups only keep a week's worth of daily backups. I manually backup those backups to my own PC from time to time, but as posted in a different thread the disk I use for that isn't in great shape so I'm unable to restore the corrupted chunks. Those chunks have been automatically regenerated but all the work that was put into them is gone I'm afraid.

I'm currently working on setting up better backup facilities. A friend has provided a Dell workstation. I've bought four 4TB WD Red drivers, 48GB ECC memory and an Areca raid controller. The daily backups will stay where they currently are, on a 1U rack server at my place. On the new server I'll be doing weekly and monthly backups. Weeklies will be saved up to 1 month and the monthly backups will be saved up to 1 year. The new server will be hosted off-site at my friend's place. He's also generously paying for the electricity.

So all in all this backup server, or server for backups, which ever you want to call it, it going to cost me around 600 euro and a bunch of time to setup. If you're feeling generous and would like to contribute, there's a PayPal button on the home page

How cool is that?

I got a second hand Areca of Ebay and put it in the backup server to run the new drives in raid 5. When configuring the controller I noticed this:
    Name:  Steam_Areca.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  156.6 KB

Looks like the previous owner didn't factory reset the controller before sending it to me. It appears to be an old raid controller from Valve. Who knows, perhaps it was even used to serve game content to Steam users at some point.

Servers are down for a bit

Like I've mentioned elsewhere I've upgraded the server with three 1TB NVMe SSDs. Two of these will host the game servers on a raid1 array while the third will be used for Dynmap.

Right now the server is copying all the files over from the old virtual hard disks to the new ones. This will take a while so I'll just let that run while I do other things

Servers are up again!

Lunch break update.

Copying the Minecraft servers from HDD to SSD went fairly quickly. I've added the appropriate services. Installed Java 8 and 16 from AdoptOpenJDK and put the correct paths to those in the appropriate Minecraft monitoring scripts. And then they all just started. No fuss or crazy errors.

Name:  It_Just_Works.png
Views: 120
Size:  346.8 KB

Now all that's left is to copy over the Dynmap tiles. This is going to take much longer. Our Dynmaps consists of millions of tiny jpg/png files. Copying those over is relatively slow. It's much faster to copy a single large file rather than a lot of smaller ones even if the amount of GB is the same.

Right now we have around 536GB of Dynmap data and so far 35GB has been copied to SSD going at an average rate of about 7MB/s. So for now the Minecraft servers will display Dynmap, you're just missing the tiles which means you're basically looking at the void. As the rsync job progresses the Dynmaps will become complete again. Remember when rendering the TerraFirmaCraft server's Dynmap took a week? This won't take that long though.

As far as performance goes. The Minecraft servers are noticeably faster now. Loading chunks when flying across the map is nearly as fast as when running it on a local machine. The parts of Dynmap that are already present also load much faster. It's great. I like it a lot