Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar

Streaming discussions

Maybe a dedicated thread could be useful for discussing problems or just general stuff and exchangind experience.

So I have two questions:

1. Does HTML5 player for VOD works bad for everyone? Hanging for too long when starting video or switching to another time.
    I googled - they seem to introduce it about 2014 and there were some problems, but I hope they resolved them.
    Currently it is hard to watch VOD, e.g. Jiro's, because with HTML5 you have to wait like a minute before it starts. And if switch HTML5 player off - the quality is worse.

2. How can I add a voice of another player I play with (just a brief answer)? Just add the TeamSpeak / Skype as another audio capture output source in OBS, right?

And how do you add those sections on your channel front page below the video player. E.g. HappyDiggers big picture and description, announcements, etc. How are they called to find them in the settings? I tried but could not.

Quote Originally Posted by Heptagon_ru View Post
    And how do you add those sections on your channel front page below the video player. E.g. HappyDiggers big picture and description, announcements, etc. How are they called to find them in the settings? I tried but could not.
    I use this link. Try it out if there is something enjoyable for your changes. Go to: 2. Cover Image, e.g

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/en/portal/articles/2580258-guide-till-kanalsidan

I've also added this HappyDiggers picture as my Cover Image. It's not the best, but look pretty good

Name:  CdS8VAvXEAAElKh.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  43.0 KB

If you go to your channel you can see little sliders within the panel area. You flip the slider to enable editing of the panel. I didn't go all out, I had DOM help me get all the streaming settings setup last year when I did a little MC TNFC. LegendofAir recommended I change my output to 30 fps to help with viewer loading, so I'm going to try that on my next stream and see if that helps. My OBS automatically picks up other people's voices from TS without any changes. I have OBS set to have all audio go through the default audio device and then I can change the playback devices default as needed for whatever reason (like switching from headset to speakers).
    Name:  HDTwitch.png
Views: 481
Size:  85.3 KB

Nice, thanks guys!

Lolz, when Jiro and I collided with streaming, the HD site applet behaved a bit weird, showing me but translating Jiro audi for few secs, and vice versa. I stopped and still some hiccups, and still no Jiro on HD front page. Oh, nice, jiro is live on front page!

The script has a list of streamers defined:
    A
    B
    C
    D
    etc.

After the page has loaded it waits 10 seconds then it goes through the list to see if anyone is streaming. As soon as it finds a streamer, it puts that streamer up and stops looking at the others. So if both B and C are streaming, only B will be shown. Then the script will check every 10 seconds to see if the streamer is still active. If B stops streaming the script can not detect that right away. There seems to be a considerable time out on this so it takes a minute or so. After the script detects the streamer has gone offline, it will reset the widget and go through the list van A to ... to check for online streamers again.

I haven't seem it happen yet with two streamers. But the above story is how I tried to make the script. If you encountered a different version of events then there might be something broken somewhere. I'll have to see for myself before I can start figuring out if it's something I can fix.

Ok, maybe one weekend when you are free we could test the script for concurrent streaming. But ofc it is not that important, I think people will solve potential collision issues peer-to-peer.

Jiro, thanks for streaming the SW: Republic Commando. I wanted some FPS ( thats why I am also trying PlanetSide2 (also cought my eye by your stream)) and I wanted to try some SW-universe game - so got it on the sale. Very nice game.
    Has some annoying things, like screen shaking for lot of gameplay time, or the shooting implementation.
    But I really enjoyed the whole team command implementation in the game. And the game as whole. Finished it after playing the whole weekend.

So guys, I have a big question for you.
    What are our approximate goals with the whole streaming thing? What the ideal outcome would be?
    Can this hosting thing be dangerous for the HD community when people who subscribed e.g. to DOM for his fluent and solid narrative, meet me via the autohosting feature, with my not perfect mic and unattractive voice and stumbling English and the choice of games different from DOM's etc etc. Won't they unsub?

The streaming is very good for me because it helps me to improve my speaking English and to learn to present material and narrate and plan and avoid derping and useless actions in games etc etc. But you know, HD should not be "paying" for this

I think it's good to have a different variety of streamers, it shows a lot the variety of people that play or are in the HappyDiggers Community. Even if your technology isn't super fancy or anything, streaming should rely on your personality and game play; the technology and quality of the stream comes with time and experience, you don't necessarily even need the tech, it's just a plus. If someones doesn't like you or your stream because of something, they can move on. It's not like you (or we) need to go out of our way for that one specific person because it is still mostly for enjoyment.

Now if they give a suggestion how to improve the stream or recommend doing something in the game that's easily doable for you, then go for it, but if it's something that's not in your control, I would just keep doing what you're doing. You'll find people that will enjoy your stream not because of the quality or the game play, but because of your personality (sometimes just the game play :P), and those are the people that will come back to watch you again.

And I think your English is pretty good!
    Last edited by LegendOfAir; 26th June 2017 at 14:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendair968 View Post
    And I think your English is pretty good!
    Yauuuuuu!!! My first stream reaction!!! Thanks!