Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PvP

PvP

Hello everyone, i'm bringing back a thread of 2 years ago: pvp, in TFCfreebie. I don't mean a open pvp (problem with griefing etc..) but only a VERY restricted one, only in arena plot with pvp enabled. I've build a big arena and i'd love to organize small tournament. I would reccomend also a regulation, like "every pvp plot/arena must be closed and very well advertized with signs and warnings" (in addition to plot label). What do you think?

I agree, I too have long been toying with the idea of a pvp arena, and, if this becomes a thing, i would love to be able to host one on my second island. I understand that lemon probably wants to use his as well of course. I think it would be a great thing to have big parties with gladiatorial combat and animal fights (bears!!). Of course all fighters would be there of their own volition.
    Last edited by _DragonTamer; 7th August 2017 at 03:44.

Quote Originally Posted by _DragonTamer View Post
    I think it would be a great thing to have big parties with gladiatorial combat and animal fights (bears!!).
    Gladiator animals sound like an idea which can be done without PvP on, also I am afraid that without animal training, levels, skill, equip etc. on the side of the mod it is impossible to make balanced fights but yeah, might be worth a try or two

*calls PETA immediately*
    My common IGNs: Elbe97 / Elborax / Elbor

THe FouR HoRSeMeN oF THe aPoCaLYPSe:

As far as i remember, it was tried to make a pvp area, and could not get something to work without disabling something that is needed.
    Also, with tfc and the plugins being old, and not being updated, I don't see this as a possibility now as it was not before.
    I'm not a pvp person in minecraft, and I would not mind if others wanted to do so, there are just limitations on what can be done.

I suppose its possible to do that, easier to drag a tamed bear to my island on a rope though xD

Rainn- When you say it was impossible without disabling something necessary, do you mean that to turn on pvp in certain areas we would have to enable it across the whole server?
    _DT
    Last edited by _DragonTamer; 8th August 2017 at 02:34.

I'm going by memory, you can search the forums for past threads on it. I don't recall the specifics of it.
    I remember Jiro trying to do it for a while without success, he was trying to make an island for pvp.
    Basically it would need to be done by J or Jiro, Jiro was into tfc, and now is more into ark, and J was never really into tfc.
    So basically it's a good thing to post such an idea, but don't expect this one to get much traction.
    I may be incorrect, will see if Jiro or J chimes in.

Perhaps the PvP island was that PvP minigame island I was working on? It was similar in theme to capture the flag. I spent a lot of time working on that and then J turned around and said, "Uh we already have those games" and installed our lobby server . So in short I would suggest that people play those PvP games with each other on the lobby server as it's just a simple command away. Just off the top of my head, it has paintball (my favorite), a cooperative horde like game, last man standing, a jumping game iirc, and a few more I can't recall.

PvP is turned off globally in each TFC world. I've personally toyed with the idea of having default PvP off while Towny PvP could be turned on, but it has the potential to create a lot of problems. There aren't big warnings that an area is PvP accessible before you enter the area, and with TFC weapons/armors scaling up high as the tiers go up someone could just be instantly killed the second they enter a PvP set town or set plots. It doesn't matter how many times or how big the signs are that say PvP could be enabled in people's plots, people still won't read them and then they'll get killed and inevitably come to the forums demanding their items back followed by demands for the offending parties to be banned and for our rules to change.

The way I see it, TFC just isn't PvP friendly. Minigames and such were something I was interested in with TFC because they could be controlled in their gameplay with what players could and couldn't have, but even then it would require extensive admin/moderator intervention even with a finished product which was something I was willing to do several years ago but not anymore. Now I'm sure a simple counter argument could be that the PvP arena would only be one area on the entire map and that it would be well advertised, etc. Which can work, except that people can still be lured in. Staff aren't on the servers 24/7 and even people that want to run these things wouldn't be on all of the time. All it takes is a shady player (which we get often on the servers) coming on to cause a fiasco that nobody will enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro_89 View Post
    PvP is turned off globally in each TFC world. I've personally toyed with the idea of having default PvP off while Towny PvP could be turned on, but it has the potential to create a lot of problems. There aren't big warnings that an area is PvP accessible before you enter the area, and with TFC weapons/armors scaling up high as the tiers go up someone could just be instantly killed the second they enter a PvP set town or set plots. It doesn't matter how many times or how big the signs are that say PvP could be enabled in people's plots, people still won't read them and then they'll get killed and inevitably come to the forums demanding their items back followed by demands for the offending parties to be banned and for our rules to change.
    I would personally vote for allowing towny pvp toggle-able, if people arent going to pay attention to whether or not a town is pvp, a fact I feel should be labeled (if the whole town is pvp then the town name would be [town name_PvP], or they could name individual plots with a similar pattern), they shouldnt be allowed to whine. I understand it becomes another job for forum moderators to take down whining posts, so if they feel like its too much hassle to change the rules its ultimately up to them.

_DT

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro_89 View Post
    So in short I would suggest that people play those PvP games with each other on the lobby server as it's just a simple command away. Just off the top of my head, it has paintball (my favorite), a cooperative horde like game, last man standing, a jumping game iirc, and a few more I can't recall.
    AFAIK, those games are mostly unplayable atm. There are problems with spawn locations and players get killed instantly by fall damage each time they attempt to start. At least that's how it was the last time when RX was testing it with me, only one paintball arena was fixed back then. Not sure if it's worth the staff's attention, majority of players who come to play TFC are not interested in minigames on the lobby server anyways.
    My common IGNs: Elbe97 / Elborax / Elbor

THe FouR HoRSeMeN oF THe aPoCaLYPSe:

Sorry about that. The lobby server got corrupted a while ago and all I had was an old backup where the level wasn't raised yet to compensate for TFC's higher sea level. I still need to raise everything but as you might have guessed, that's a bit of a pain to do. I'll get around to it someday. Because as you've said, there weren't a lot of people playing the mini games to begin with. Including our various PvP arena's, paintball arena and PvE.