Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelmare View Post
    Boring test work? Speeding through the TnFC tree sounds like fun!
    J would make a terrible salesman...

Count me out. I will be available for support however. Anything we need, just ask.

Sounds cool! I'm very active in FreebieTFC and i played a little bit of TnFC on SSP. I'm also addicted to find bug and missing stuff

Quote Originally Posted by DOM View Post
    J would make a terrible salesman...

Count me out. I will be available for support however. Anything we need, just ask.
    The reason for my wording is simple. I don't want people playing. I want them to test the game.

Bases should be no more than dirt shacks to keep the rain out for example. Testers should just plunk down machines and see if they work. Try to see if the Towny protection works. See if block/machine/item interactions are properly logged. That sort of stuff. No going off exploring the wilderness and building pretty stuff. Just fast progression through the various tech trees.

Also, after the testing is done, I'll uploading the world fresh so no need to worry about accidentally wrecking stuff.

I've made a bit of progress on getting the server ready. All the permission nodes, players and groups from our current server have been migrated from the flat file of PermissionsBukkit to LuckPerms database. That was quite a bit of work, but it should make our lives a lot easier in the future. Now we have 1 database with all the permission which all of our servers can use. Update the perms on one server, and all the other servers get updated as well.

Next on my list will be updating Towny and Lockette to include all of the blocks we want to be able to protect from grief and/or use. That's the last big hurdle I think before people can get started with testing.

During testing I think we should try to figure out how much stuff each town will be allowed to have. On TFC we have limitation on anvils, farm land, fruit trees, animals, etc. We need people who actually understands how TnFC works to help us figure out what's reasonable.

Cool, would like tp help testing when ready.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    Try to see if the Towny protection works.
    try to catch me stealing. i volunteer for this.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    During testing I think we should try to figure out how much stuff each town will be allowed to have. On TFC we have limitation on anvils, farm land, fruit trees, animals, etc. We need people who actually understands how TnFC works to help us figure out what's reasonable.
    this was set to 100 machines i believe in the previous instance. this was for donor and may get out of control on freebie. i'm not tech savvy enough to build machines galore and test server functionality but it we say 10-20 people playing on freebie TnFC at 100 machines/person to check stability. Should check 50+ people as machines may be automated and left running.

Maybe consider anything that's a chunk loader not allowable or turn that function off?

That's a given. Chunk loaders would kill the server quickly.

New Spawned
    It would be cool to help you testing this modpack! Quick progression without exploring and building? Just what i need!

If you are worried about the machines that are left running, couldn't you just unload the chunks? This would solve a massive amount of problem the only problem that it would create is that item decay and crop/animal growth will not continue if someone logs off.

I would be up for testing if you require more people as I have seas of spare time before and after Christmas, however with testing most machines require some pretty advanced stuff and it will take a while to get to them which would end up in this process taking rather long, which in return is quite good due to the amount of problems that could arise.

Cheers,
    Zorak

Chunks are unloaded if a player isn't near them and there isn't any other mechanism in place to keep those chunks loaded, i.e. a chunk loader. TFC calculates decay based on the time after creation of the food and the environment it's in. This is why when a chunk with food in it is loaded, you can see the food for a split second before it disappears due to decay.

There isn't really a limit on how many people can participate with testing. More is better I'd say

We have quite a lot of stuff we need to figure out. With TFC we can run about 20 players on a server with developed towns that have a lot of animals, farm plots and TFC machinery in them. I'm fairly certain we won't be able to do the same with TnFC, unless I upgrade the server to a CPU with a much higher clock speed. Currently we're running a 14 core / 28 thread Intel Xeon at 2.4GHz. Which means we can run a lot of different Minecraft servers, but each server instance isn't super fast.

Unfortunately upgrading would mean switching to a whole new platform. Either another overly expensive Intel system, or the new AMD Threadripper. I'd really like to do that, but that would cost well over 1000 euro and the current server isn't all that old yet. So unless people are willing to do some serious sponsorship, that's not going to happen for a while. Which means we'll probably end up setting a player limit somewhere around 15 for the TnFC server. At least, I hope we can manage 15 players without getting into a lag fest. But that's something we're just going have to figure out