Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I am now in a position to help test. Thanks for all the work you've been putting in!
    _DT

Progress?

How's the testing going on since it's June and almost time for summer fun! Any release dates?

Err... we're not really testing. Though I did made some progress again after not having done anything for quite some time now :B

As I've mentioned before we want to switch our permission system over to LuckPerms. That should allow us to have one set of permissions in a central database that can then be applied to all of our servers, instead of having a plain text config file on each server. This means I have to convert our current permissions from PermissionsBukkit to the LuckPerms format, which is a ton of work to do manually. I've done this a while ago and then things went idle. Because of that the converted permissions became out of date as new people joined the server and players got switched between different user groups.

So instead of doing everything manually again I've done some scripting. Now I'm able to quickly convert permissions from the old to the new and update the database with all the mutations. Since the last time I did a conversion and yesterday, 188 changes were made. That's a lot of work to do manually. So yah! for scripting.

Then I hit a bit of a snag. Although LuckPerms uses a database to store player- and permission information, it does not use that database to keep the servers synchronized. So if something would change on server A and get stored in the database, server B would remain unaware of this change even though it uses the same database. This is a bit of a glaring omission if you ask me. Instead of using the database, which you pretty much already need, the author of LuckPerms has opted to use a message broker service for this stuff instead. So yesterday I installed redis, updated LuckPerms on the TnFC and the upcoming donor FTB servers and... then it didn't quite work. While both servers have the exact same redis configuration, only the Sponge powered donor FTB server seems to be working at this point. The KCauldron powered TnFC server does not seem to work. I've posted this issue here:
    https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/luc...6#post-3098030

If anyone has any idea why the Sponge server does, and the KCauldron server does not work, I'd really like to know :B

Got the redis issue fixed. It seems KCauldron uses a Java security manager which prevents LuckPerms from using Redis. It can't be deactivated through configuration. So if anyone else runs into errors such as this:
    java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("javax.management.MBeanTrustPermission" "register")
    Then a workaround is to add the following to your Java settings in: <JRE_HOME>/lib/security/java.policy
    On Ubuntu 16.04 with Java 8 this file is located here: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/security/java.policy
    grant {
    permission javax.management.MBeanTrustPermission "register";
    };
    Ok, so uhm. I guess we could open up the server and call it beta. People can report bugs as they go. I think. Hm. My brain is not working right now so I'll sleep on it and see if I'm not forgetting anything crucial.

Permissions work differently from how I thought they did. This means I'll have to do some more research and config work to get the current servers to work as they do right now.

Initially I thought that I could put all the permissions from the Freebie TFC server combined with those of the Lobby server into the LuckPerms database. Then have all the servers use that. Unfortunately that only seems to work partially. And come to think of if, we want to use different "default" user groups for different servers. On the Freebie TFC server the default user group isn't allowed to start towns for example while on the donor FTB server they can (or will!). So it seems I'll have to make a default configuration and then add exceptions as servers require them.... or something like that.

Took 2 days but i'm out of the dry area for clay and i finally found copper. lol. (on single player)

I've copied the whitelist from the Vanilla server over to the TnFC server. This means VIP's and staff can now play on the TnFC server.

As you know we haven't done much testing yet so let me know if perms are correct, plugins work, etc.

When installing a fresh copy of TechnodeFirmacraft 3.6 I encountered a problem when joining the server. Something about fatally missing blocks and items. Turns out this was due to Forestry milk which is enabled on the server but wasn't on the client. For now I've just enabled it in my client. I don't know id TnFC actually uses the milk of that it's perhaps better to just disable it on the server so clients can join without having to modify their configs. Let me know!

Either way there seems to be a difference in config between server and client. Aren't mod packs fun?

ATLauncher\instances\<instanceName>\config\Forestr y\fluids.cfg --> set B:milk=true

During installation when you get to choose which mods to install for your TechnodeFirmacraft instance I clicked recommended and then unchecked the Prattle chat thing because that crashed my client.

About the milk...

After further investigation it seems the server's config file seems to be set wrong. I've disabled the Forestry milk again.