Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    DOM, you've had a lot of experience building stuff. Any recommendations?
    I'm thinking about 1 major building project per town like the miner from Mekanism and those huge immersive engineering machines.
    Not sure what this is saying... Only 1 of each major machine? 1 large building with many machines?

I am not sure what the IE machines take up in server load, but they seem to build into one single entity after they are complete so it might not be too bad. I have not had any slowdowns from running machines, but I have however experienced slowdowns (may be client side) from the IE external heaters flickering. Those heaters need a constant source of RF if they are active and if there isnt enough, the heater flickers on and off producing lighting updates rapidly.

On the other hand, I know that the AMP server massively slowed down (local client) when the Mekanism building loaded. We do have a slight advantage since the Mekanism machines are the last tier of the tech tree, so they wont be in every base until you make it to that tech (personally I have not made it there yet). The disadvantage is that the machines are easily crammed into a small space and offer a tremendous amount of production capability, so once players make it to that point, most of their big IE machines will be replaced with multiples of Mekanism machines that server the same (or better) function.

With all of this said, I dont feel as if I have enough information to dictate the limits to machines... I tend to play with bare minimums and little automation, so I wouldnt have the experience either.

As far as the TFC stuff goes I'd like to increase those limitats to the following:
    Spoiler!
    My suggestions/questions/fixes in green (the best of the colors):
    • 10 total adult animals. This means any selection of adult animals that totals to 20. 10 or 20? FYI many recipes need leather...
    • Each animal needs to be in its own 16x16 pen in it own chunk fenced in, the fence can have small sections for gates. I understand the need for this, but is there allowance to control the animal bumping with another method? A single player in a town only has so much space and would need to allocate a large portion (over 50%) of their plots to housing 20 animals.
    • 3 plots of tilled soil farmland or berry bushes. This means 1024 blocks. They may be in more than three plots, but 1024 max blocks.
    • 10 fruit trees. (All kinds allowed: red apple, green apple, banana, peach, etc.) There are a few recipes that require fruit tree saplings, so this will have to be closely monitored. I have felt the need to expand my fruit tree farm recently.
    • 1 of each kind of anvil. (copper, bronze, wrought iron, steel, etc.
    • 3 outposts The # of outposts could be larger since there are a LOT more resources to gather, but on the other hand, if the player chooses not to claim the mine it should be fair game.
    • 3 /sethome points per player

I'd also like to remove the teleport cool down.
    I have been using TPs a lot since I have OP perms and would have to say that TPs on TFC are quite OP, but are a necessary evil for multiplayer. On my singleplayer instance I was forced to build tremendous transportation networks and loved it. I do plan on making a railway network with my favorite mod ever (railcraft) and distribute beer to the masses.

About the machines. I was thinking about the huge multi-block machines. What I'm looking for is a reasonable and easy way to limit the amount of stuff per town. From experience we know pipes and bad wiring are TPS killers. I don't want to limit the amount of pipes or wires per town, that would be crazy. Instead we could give directions to players on how to optimize those things if they become a problem.

Alternatively we could install Opis (if it works with our TnFC server) and see which plots use the most CPU time. If certain chunks stand out we can talk to the owners of those chunks to work things out.

My idea was 10 adult animals per town. We can increase the plots per town member from 16 to 25. Land isn't exactly in short supply.

How about 5 outposts?

Case by case and Opis checks sounds like a great idea if it works. I think that the players on the server should know that their automation setups have an effect on others and that they may have to reduce their footprint if requested to. I know that we aren't talking AMP levels of automation here and the amount of materials being processed is much lower, so we might be ok with a Laissez-faire approach.

About the machines. I was thinking about the huge multi-block machines. What I'm looking for is a reasonable and easy way to limit the amount of stuff per town. From experience we know pipes and bad wiring are TPS killers. I don't want to limit the amount of pipes or wires per town, that would be crazy. Instead we could give directions to players on how to optimize those things if they become a problem.

Alternatively we could install Opis (if it works with our TnFC server) and see which plots use the most CPU time. If certain chunks stand out we can talk to the owners of those chunks to work things out.

My idea was 10 adult animals per town. We can increase the plots per town member from 16 to 25. Land isn't exactly in short supply.

How about 5 outposts?
    new boot drive up and running have not tested tnfc performance yet. plots on tnfc are currently 30 i thought?. definitely need more than 16 imo. outposts vs home points (5v3 or 3v5) a total or 8 teleports should be sufficient for most everyone.

I am fixed for now. will monitor and possibly change the game location to my new drive if i encounter any more problems.

that was short lived to a point

see attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Big machines almost always have just one active (TE) block, the rest is decoration. So no need to limit them more than small ones.

I think people that will seriously play a lot and make it to really advanced stage will be the more mature ones, so something to measure load/lag in a chunk and a general rule about downsizing on admin request should be enough.

Also, I remember the official TnFC server (when it was still on) had a reset scheduled every 6(?) hours. There was a countdown from 10 minutes (10,5,1,30 sec, 15 sec, 10 sec, 5 sec, zero) so nobody was surprised when it happened. There were no limits on building stuff and at its peak the server had 10+ players active at the same time, some lag sometimes occurred, but nothing drastic. I suspect this setup was made to counteract poor garbage collecting behaviours.

I know some people will say restarts are a pain, but personally, if I had to choose between more strict limits or restarts, I would pick restarts.

As for the proposed rules, 3 plots don't mean 1024 blocks, it's 4 plots

Quote Originally Posted by Dourne View Post
    that was short lived to a point

see attached.
    This looks like some kind of rendering issue. I know I'm boring with my advices, but get rid of Optifine and see if you get the same crashes (unless you already did and it did not help, but I can't find that info in your posts).

Quote Originally Posted by Dourne View Post
    new boot drive up and running have not tested tnfc performance yet. plots on tnfc are currently 30 i thought?. definitely need more than 16 imo. outposts vs home points (5v3 or 3v5) a total or 8 teleports should be sufficient for most everyone.
    We can double the amount of plots per town member to 32. This will however result in monster towns pretty with huge outposts quickly. Might be fun

Quote Originally Posted by Chogata View Post
    Big machines almost always have just one active (TE) block, the rest is decoration. So no need to limit them more than small ones.

I think people that will seriously play a lot and make it to really advanced stage will be the more mature ones, so something to measure load/lag in a chunk and a general rule about downsizing on admin request should be enough.

Also, I remember the official TnFC server (when it was still on) had a reset scheduled every 6(?) hours. There was a countdown from 10 minutes (10,5,1,30 sec, 15 sec, 10 sec, 5 sec, zero) so nobody was surprised when it happened. There were no limits on building stuff and at its peak the server had 10+ players active at the same time, some lag sometimes occurred, but nothing drastic. I suspect this setup was made to counteract poor garbage collecting behaviours.

I know some people will say restarts are a pain, but personally, if I had to choose between more strict limits or restarts, I would pick restarts.

As for the proposed rules, 3 plots don't mean 1024 blocks, it's 4 plots
    The point I was making is that I'm looking of an easy way to limit the amount of stuff players build. Big machines are easy to point out and if you only have one of each you only have infrastructure for one of each. But doing it with Opis should also be possible although that would mean more staff involvement.

Restarting the server won't solve lag due to having too much stuff running. It'll only temporarily solve memory creep. So far I don't think we've had many problems with that. But if needed we can always start restarting the server more often.

In my proposal for limitations I only edited the first values, not what came later in text. The whole thing was copy/pasted, then I changed the first value. I'm sorry for your confusion, guys (Yes, yes, I know I caused it. Sorry!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chogata View Post
    This looks like some kind of rendering issue. I know I'm boring with my advices, but get rid of Optifine and see if you get the same crashes (unless you already did and it did not help, but I can't find that info in your posts).
    Don't get rid of Optifine, update FastCraft
    https://minecraft.curseforge.com/pro...astcraft/files

i did drop optifine but still had the stutter issues. will readd and update fastcraft.

improvement. its now restricted to 20-30 immediately after load/teleport but after that i can move eat drink interact normally. optifine is D6 and fastcraft is .25
    Last edited by Dourne; 12th March 2019 at 05:44.