Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Lockette will probably need an update on what's lockable. Many TFC item values are shifted in TnFC, and TnFC introduced many new item inventory types we should probably see about locking.

Thanks for fixing the Enertron

I thought Lockette already had item IDs for TnFC configured? Did you encounter stuff you couldn't lock?
    From the Lockette config:

Yesterday I saw some people chatting on the server about the TFC's years length being long. Do we need to change this? Also, can we change this safely without TFC breaking?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    I thought Lockette already had item IDs for TnFC configured? Did you encounter stuff you couldn't lock?
    From the Lockette config:

Yesterday I saw some people chatting on the server about the TFC's years length being long. Do we need to change this? Also, can we change this safely without TFC breaking?
    Many of the scripts/cmd blocks/misc things had shifted IDs so I figured the lockette needed fixing as well. If that's already taken care of then no worries there.

Changing dates/times can cause a lot of problems, but the problems should be contained to food decay, planted crops, and natural spawned crops. Anybody who has been play testing may experience sudden loss of food, but moving forward newly harvested food should be fine.

As for making the change from current 360 to old 96 (or whatever the old calendar was), I don't play regularly enough to have a good opinion on this.

There is one advantage of 360 over 96 days year - in 360 you can plant crops and come back to harvest them next day. In 96 you have to just play for half a day to plant and collect, especially if you kept the default TnFC multiplier of crop growth time (1.2). Other than that it's all the same. If we want to change it, now is the time, before anybody has any serious amounts of food stored.

Also, J, I remember a conversation (when this thead started) about maybe adding a second home point to Freebie servers. Did you decide something about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chogata View Post
    There is one advantage of 360 over 96 days year - in 360 you can plant crops and come back to harvest them next day. In 96 you have to just play for half a day to plant and collect, especially if you kept the default TnFC multiplier of crop growth time (1.2). Other than that it's all the same. If we want to change it, now is the time, before anybody has any serious amounts of food stored.

Also, J, I remember a conversation (when this thead started) about maybe adding a second home point to Freebie servers. Did you decide something about that?
    I would have to disagree about the amount of play time for crop harvesting. Lonely old me has been playing off and on for a few days and by yesterday afternoon my plants were only at about 60%. In that time, I had harvested a very large amount of wild plants on my journey and I had eaten through them in that amount of play time. I am convinced that I will have to double my crops to sustain me for the off seasons now. That being said, if there are to be large population towns, they would have to maintain massive plots of land to sustain a thriving population. Either that or ration out play time to conserve food since the server doesn't tick if there arent players online.

All of that in consideration, if that's what we are interested in doing, let's keep it up. I am just impatient sometimes.

One the subject of rules and lag prevention, I feel as if the donor rules should be ok for the time being. This is a mod pack that has very little to no followers anymore. The newest versions of Minecraft run better on poor hardware and also the population of players in general has diminished. I do however expect for there to be changes to my attitude once we have large factories with machinery running, but without chunk loaders we should be ok for a while.

@Jiro. I thik they were added on the previous TnFC server. I haven't checked to see if the current IDs match those.

@Chogata. The TFC server restrictions need to be revised I think. Currently I see no problem allowing a few more 'homes'.

TFC farm plots tend to lag quite a lot which is why we limited them in the past. I think you are correct about player numbers and that we probably won't be rocking 20~30 players during peak moments. That being said I'm not sure having to wait several days for your crops to be ready is fun. It may encourage trade among towns but that only works with a more active community. Another thing that might influence things: will food production change when machinery comes into play?

Then again. I remember tons of newbies complaining about the food situation on the TFC server. We can either ignore those, help them or change things a little bit. I'm leaning towards the latter. But again, I don't play TFC so I'll go with what you guys prefer.

My 2 cents.

Having lived though the autumn and winter killing animals for meat and seaweed for vegetable, whatever i found in the wild for fruit, i was out of fruit before late winter. i was playing 8+ hrs a day since i was sick for a week. I planted in early spring the multitude of crops i had accumulated on my journey. i just harvested them day or 2 ago but a lot is still not yet finished. this would be 4+ days or growing and my only get 1 cycle of growing. i am replanting on different areas of the farm and i have used fertilizer on some of the squares to see differences. I may have enough food to last winter but that is uncertain. in the end we will all have too much food how fast we get there makes other things easier and start faster.

as long as we can avoid the food decay issue i can support change, but i am a positive vote for either right now.

Okay, first, I see that at some point TnFC authors reversed to 1.0 growth multiplier. With that, on 360 days server, crops are slow to grow. I agree that it might become a problem in a town with a large (-ish) population.

We can revert to 96 easily, I think - change the year length AND change the decay factor to no decay at all. Leave it for a couple of days so each of us that already has some food stores can log in and "tick" them. Then change to regular decay again. This is all theoretical, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. And if it doesn't ... well, though luck. We ARE beta testers after all

I appreciate the current time setting. Anyone can fish or milk cows at anytime. Also, in the donor tnfc server, we could store sandwiches in Jabba storage barrels and it froze their decay. Yes, when you picked them up from the barrel the food would rapidly go bad but you had the time to eat the sandwich before that happened. That is how I survived the rapid food decay in last server. Maybe I won't have to do that with the current time setting.

So one point of view would be that faster speed may encourage bug abuse.

For an advanced player getting some food will never be a problem. No matter if you do it old-fashioned way (all those pickles, yum!) or use something TnFC specific, you can store enough food to last through a winter. For starters, you always have fish, deer and seaweed (not milk, you need grain for that and being settled somewhere already).

The biggest problem will be big towns, because with 3 chunks of plots&bushes you might not have enough yield to feed 10 people later. That's something I didn't think about. I always played TnFC on servers with 1-2, max 3 people towns. If HD TnFC goes the way of HD TFC and has some big towns, they might have food problem. That means either reverting to 96 days year or granting more plot/bush chunks to big towns.