Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PixARK Test Server

I managed to finagle a little time and try out the new PixARK game. This game would make a perfect addition to HappyDiggers for players that may not be as hardcore for Ark Survival Evolved. It has game mechanics of Ark and Minecraft but also has a whole slew of new original features such as a magic system and many new species like monsters in dungeons.

There isn't a whole lot of information about game servers other than what has been distributed by the developers and a few eager server admins. Since this game is in beta, it will be a lot like Ark was when we first installed The Island server. Meaning anything and everything could change with the drop of a hat. There is also no dev kit so mods are extremely limited (I've only found 2 unofficial mods). From what I can tell from both the configs and other server admins, the map size can't be edited. The worlds are randomly generated but are limited to 4096x4096 blocks. I'm betting in the future that will change.

For now I'm generating map seeds to find us a decent map with all biomes and hopefully all dungeons accounted for. When I find an appropriate map I'll post the IP for the server. The more people that can play the better so I can get a good idea of the server's resources we'll need for a proper PixARK world.

PixARK server: HappyDiggers.net:31015
    This is a test server, so it may go offline intermittently while I make changes to it.

Oh wow!

I doubt I will have time to play much anytime soon, but I will pop in for stress tests

PixARK updated to version 1.19

Do we keep inventories after death? I had some free time on Sunday, so I played a bit and built myself a home. The server warned me I will be dead after 1 day (very stupid mechanic...), so I put all my stuff in chests, but maybe I did not need to?

I will be dying a lot for sure, unless the developers change something in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Chogata View Post
    Do we keep inventories after death? I had some free time on Sunday, so I played a bit and built myself a home. The server warned me I will be dead after 1 day (very stupid mechanic...), so I put all my stuff in chests, but maybe I did not need to?

I will be dying a lot for sure, unless the developers change something in this area.
    Items in your hotbar and in your armor slots seem to carry over with your character after deaths. Anything in your inventory drops on death though. Currently the server is set to PvE so I'm not sure if that's specific to the gamemode or not. There may be a way to disable logged out player deaths by preventing starvation or possibly making the player invincible while offline.

Configs are pretty wonky right now. Some settings seem to work while others don't. For example, I have the rates at 2x XP, 7x Gather, and 3x Tame but the rates seem to be 1x in game no matter what.

I believe I was able to disable the offline (starvation?) death in the configs, at least it's not warning me about the death on logout anymore. This probably wouldn't prevent wild dinos from killing your character while offline though.

I managed to pop in yesterday for an hour and I wasn't dead. Then I noticed that while I'm inside my home the home icon sometimes is visible, sometimes not, depending on where I stood inside my home. I couldn't find any pattern to that, it seemed quite random. My home is properly enclosed, all doors and windows were shut when I tried this. So I think there is a bug with recognising when you are "inside".

Anyway, when I stood on a block that showed the home icon, I did not get the "you will die" message when I logged out, so maybe that's it.

It was before you changed settings. But if you managed to disable offline starvation, that's even better

Quote Originally Posted by Chogata View Post
    I managed to pop in yesterday for an hour and I wasn't dead. Then I noticed that while I'm inside my home the home icon sometimes is visible, sometimes not, depending on where I stood inside my home. I couldn't find any pattern to that, it seemed quite random. My home is properly enclosed, all doors and windows were shut when I tried this. So I think there is a bug with recognising when you are "inside".

Anyway, when I stood on a block that showed the home icon, I did not get the "you will die" message when I logged out, so maybe that's it.

It was before you changed settings. But if you managed to disable offline starvation, that's even better
    It took Ark Survival Evolved a year and a half to get the home effect/buff working correctly. It's possible some blocks count and some don't, even if they're ones you can craft and build with. It would probably take some playing with. My setup is deep inside a cave where I basically dug out a home and only used some stone foundations and a door. I don't get the home icon, so it's likely specific blocks it's looking for rather than a sealed off block room.

PixARK updated to version 1.20

PixARK is 20% off right now during the steam summer sale.