In this thread you can see what we upgraded the server with in the past:
https://happydiggers.net/showthread....ger-new-plans)

Since then the CPU got replaced by a 14-core / 28-thread Xeon CPU and the RAM got upgraded to 96GB by replacing the 8x8GB with 4x16GB and keeping 4x8GB in. The motherboard has 8 slots for RAM total. Oh yean, the ASUS motherboard was also replaced by an MSI one due to stability issues.

Right now, if we want to upgrade the ram, we need to take out 32GB and replace that. Currently 64GB of memory cost around, like Jiro mentioned, 700 euro. Which is almost double the cost of the 64GB that went in before. RAM prices are crazy and have been like that for the past few years now. It's pretty clear that memory producers have made illegal agreements on their prices and they are being investigated. Even the Chinese government has had enough and told the manufactures to lower their prices... or else. Which would probably mean China would start producing RAM with government funding which would give them a huge edge over their international competitors.

Here you can see what 4x16GB of RAM costs in my area:
https://tweakers.net/categorie/545/g...QztkAogPBqa2sB

Right now I'm not saving up for a RAM upgrade. The 100 euro you so generously donated has gone towards server maintenance. A while ago one of the SAS drives started showing early signs of failure and was replaced. And I'm pretty sure I need to replace the case fans in the not too distant future. They've been running 24/7 for a few years now and are starting to produce more noise. Not to mention all the other replacements I did in the past. Don't get me wrong. This is not a complaint in any way. I'm running this server as a hobby and as such it's OK for me to spend money on it. It's just that we don't have the budget to upgrade the RAM just like that for a hobby.

If people would be interested in doing a donor drive, I'll start one and save the money towards the goal of upgrading the RAM. Jiro suggested a thermometer kind of thing which we could show on the home page to indicate how close we are towards reaching our goal. Again, if people are willing to support us in that way (comment below) I'll set that up. Keep in mind that 700 euro is a lot of money and donations have been slow the past year or so. Staff members can view donations behind the scenes so they know what the situation is. So if you are willing to donate and are not shy of letting other know, please let us know how much you are willing to donate if we do this.

I'll start. I'm willing to donate 150 euro.

If we reach 400 euro in pledges I'll start the donor drive thermometer thing. Come to think of it. We could probably do a Patreon or GoFundMe kind of thing. But let's just gauche interest here first.