Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I like things the way they are. With the DLC inc, won't have time to play on 4 maps anyway.
    http://i.imgur.com/v4naT6Q.png

Folks are making some valid points and I appretiate that. One thing everybody seems to not be considering are the maps I listed.

ISO Crystal Isles:

• Currently on the test server
    • Fantasy style map
    • Beautiful landscapes/caves/floating isles/etc
    • Has unique weather effect
    • New dino spawns (some crystal/liquid dinos which is sort of the lore of the map)
    • All dino spawns
    • All resource types
    • All bosses
    • Surface 75% complete, cave 20%, underworld/deep sea 25%
    • Devs have promised to continue to add new Ark content to the map as it rolls out
    • 2 Years of continued development and support
    • Sponsored mod by Ark (Chance for official DLC in the future)

The Volcano:
    • I have not opened up yet
    • Has all dino spawns
    • All resource types
    • All bosses
    • All types of caves including tek cave
    • 100% complete
    • 2 Years of continued development and support
    • Sponsored mod by Nitrado (A server service Ark works with)

The assumption that making SE donor only would exclude people from content doesn't really factor into one of these modded maps as they essentially have everything that other maps have other than perhaps the amount of resources.

I understand that some people enjoy PvE and that our servers are for the most part PvEish which was never really my intention when creating the Ark servers several years ago. Essentially, I wanted to have Ark servers that would have official server style PvP without the crappy rates but also wouldn't randomly shut down due to admins losing interest. We have one of the few Ark servers in existence that has NEVER been wiped, it's older than all of the official servers (not counting legacy which aren't supported anyway).

Having typed that, that doesn't mean PvE is off the table, but it would probably be completely isolated from our cluster if we had one. Even transferring characters with no items can lead to problems since the player could gain xp and tek engrams in a safe environment before transferring back to PvP. In my experience, having an isolated server from the cluster is a death sentence in terms of player count so that makes it difficult to justify a standalone PvE server.

Now for the comment about not making a paid DLC into a donor map. We've already done this before, albeit temporarily. The Aberration release last year was locked for donors only for a while. And as I mentioned in my original post, whatever map is for donors WILL have extra benefits beyond just being locked to donors. If folks didn't understand how much of an advantage the S+ dino tracking is, you should go play with that and see just how nice something like that can be. We had it on the servers for a time and it was so good that I had to disable it because big name tribes were snatching up the best dinos before anyone else could.

I really don't see the point in using The Center map again (for those that don't know, we used to have one). Sure it's free DLC, but the map is terrible in a server resource sense and has many bugs. It took WildCard almost 2 YEARS to update their bosses on the map. They've made it clear they don't care about that map, and it has been outclassed by pretty much every newer map released afterward. I could almost run 2 servers for the same resources it'd take to do one Center map. So there would have to be a pretty good reason to even consider that route since we have much better maps to choose from.

-Chogata and Vikusha added to the whitelist.

me:
    whatever works. heavy pvp means i may or may not play it. on the fence for this and extinction coming soon.

wife:
    My fondest wish is to have at least one HD server (not necessarily the donor one) as a strict PvE
    2nd this notion as will my wife. It is her preferred play style. I would build an elaborate house/building without caring where i would put turrets. a fantasy style map would lend itself to the creative processes of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dourne View Post
    me:
    whatever works. heavy pvp means i may or may not play it. on the fence for this and extinction coming soon.

wife:
    My fondest wish is to have at least one HD server (not necessarily the donor one) as a strict PvE
    2nd this notion as will my wife. It is her preferred play style. I would build an elaborate house/building without caring where i would put turrets. a fantasy style map would lend itself to the creative processes of the imagination.

Say hi to your wife from me

The Crystal Isles map sounds very interesting, my prospects for getting on the server this week are slim to none, but maybe I'll squeeze in an hour. If not, I will test next week, on single if it's no longer on test server then.

Okay, I managed to play. I like this map

For those that are testing, the spectator password is "TestTime"

To initiate spectator hit the TAB key, then enter "enablespectator TestTime"

This will allow you to travel across the whole map in a matter of seconds, and explore areas you normally couldn't do without building up in game.

I tried Crystal Isles when it was still very early in its development, back then it had the option to tame wyverns passively and you could mine element is that still the case ? I think that map with its extra generous mechanics might make for a very good donor map. In fact maps like this would be a great donation motivator as people do not need to buy DLCs and can just donate to the server instead in order to have access to all the dino spawns those servers provide
    Last edited by dentodili; 26th September 2018 at 15:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro_89 View Post
    For those that are testing, the spectator password is "TestTime"

To initiate spectator hit the TAB key, then enter "enablespectator TestTime"

This will allow you to travel across the whole map in a matter of seconds, and explore areas you normally couldn't do without building up in game.
    Tried this, didn't work, googled, found "requestspectator TestTime". This works, in case anybody wants to test. I think what you wrote, Jiro, is an admin-only command

Anyway, I did some sightseeing and I have to say all the best spots can already be seen simply by dying and spawning in all possible spawning points. Still lots of unfinished areas - don't know how those will behave after update if somebody builds a base there...

I will be curious to compare it with the Volcano map.

The Volcano map is up and running now. IP: happydiggers.net:32015

I fixed the link :B