Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    But, I will argue that character only transfer is possible in such setup.Then you can have a big base on PvE map, but if you want to raid somebody on one of the PvP maps, you need another big base on a PvP map, to breed dinos and gather resources for the raid. That base can be raided right back And I'm quite convinced that people interested mainly in raiding will not "waste time" in building a "useless" base on a PvE map, when they need to develop their PvP base for raiding purposes. So their main bases would still end up on PvP maps and be raid-able.

Quote Originally Posted by Chogata View Post
    But, I will argue that character only transfer is possible in such setup.Then you can have a big base on PvE map, but if you want to raid somebody on one of the PvP maps, you need another big base on a PvP map, to breed dinos and gather resources for the raid. That base can be raided right back And I'm quite convinced that people interested mainly in raiding will not "waste time" in building a "useless" base on a PvE map, when they need to develop their PvP base for raiding purposes. So their main bases would still end up on PvP maps and be raid-able.
    Character transfers are flawed as well. You can gain xp, tek engrams from bosses, and other character specific advantages in safety on PvE to then be utilized on the PvP servers.

The tek engrams alone is enough to drive people to play PvE for that specific purpose and once you unlock specific tek structures you enter into much higher PvP class advantages.

Okay, I think we have different outlooks on what people will and won't do and only time will tell (if we ever have a PvE server). So to end this particular part of the whole discussion, I will say that I'm willing to play on a potential PvE no matter if it totally isolated or not. And not much before Christmas anyway

I don't care for PvP at all. After playing competitive UnrealTournament (the original) Instagib CTF in the top-20 of Clanbase in the early 2000's I've had my fill. The whole reason to have a PvE server is to get away from the stress PvP brings. And since we don't do pay to win in any kind of way and we can't isolate player gains 100% between PvP/PvE servers in a cluster, it's either:

• Everybody gets to join every server in the cluster.

or
    • PvE server is not part of the cluster.

As I see things right now those are the only acceptable options in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post
    I don't care for PvP at all. After playing competitive UnrealTournament (the original) Instagib CTF in the top-20 of Clanbase in the early 2000's I've had my fill. The whole reason to have a PvE server is to get away from the stress PvP brings. And since we don't do pay to win in any kind of way and we can't isolate player gains 100% between PvP/PvE servers in a cluster, it's either:

• Everybody gets to join every server in the cluster.

or
    • PvE server is not part of the cluster.

As I see things right now those are the only acceptable options in my opinion.

Completely agree, also PVE brings another issue to the table - Pillaring

We don't have much problem with pillaring on HD right now, why would it be worse on PvE?

Because you cant destroy them and there are no disadvantages. On PvP you have to stay kinda hidden if you dont want to be an attractive raid target. That is obv only for small-medium size tribes. On pve there is not a single disadvantage of pillaring for the player who pillars, since stone is easy to farm exspecially with our harvest rates.

The no-wipe rule says you can't destroy them on PvP either on HD servers. As to the rest ... I think HD servers, having rules and staff as they do, attract more mature players. I'm not overly worried a PvE map will be totally pillared over in a week. And if I'm wrong, I'm sure Jiro will find a suitably wicked solution to this particular problem

Update:

I may have narrowed the RAM guzzling problem to two plugins. The Auto plugin update checker (unnecessary), and the Dino Tracker (not functioning anyway).

My current thought process:

- Remove Scorched Earth to salvage RAM.
    - Add The Volcano as a PvE map which uses the same amount of RAM Scorched Earth currently uses.
    - Add Crystal Islands to the cluster with normal server rates or special PvP server
    - Add Extinction when it's released

Crystal Islands uses as much Memory as Ragnarok, which is a lot, and it's still under development. If Extinction requires more Ram than I'm expecting, we may have to cut a server or remove the newly added Crystal Islands. Extinction has priority as that's what was promised from the beginning when we started the donation drive. I'm still considering making a new server donor only as well.

There's no rush on this, so keep discussing possibilities. It's helpful

@chogata: pillars and single foundations are not bases so no, you can destroy them exspecially if you wanna build there a base yourself or they block resources, but back to topic.

I propose we make a test run on vulcano map before we shut down SE, like enable it 1-3 months before we want to shut down SE. If we see that vulcano is popular we can shut down SE, but if there are only 1-2 ppl playing we shouldnt shut SE down, im a bit biased because i have my Main base there but there are other people than me aswell who have a base there or just regulary come there to tame/farm/look around. I think it would be pretty unfair to force the people to pick up their base+tame and move to another server only see nobody plays on vulcano.