Guess I'll have to buy a Nintendo Switch now

Up to now I didn't have much reason to buy a Switch. I don't game-on-the-go and a lot of the must buy games for Switch are ports of games I already have on the Wii U. Then I saw this:

Name:  WMIGC44.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  339.8 KB

Name:  but.gif
Views: 312
Size:  1.50 MB

But I already own Zelda BOTW on Wii U which has better controls than the Switch version.

I also have these games on Wii U which have been ported to Switch or have a sequel that's close to the original:
    • Mario Kart 8 + DLCS
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    • LEGO City under cover
    • Splatoon
    • Super Mario Bros U
    • New Super Luigi U
    • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
    • Super Mario maker
    • A ton of NES/SNES/N64 games. (Not to mention the NES and SNES mini consoles.)

Those games are no good reason for me to buy a Switch. I'm not going to buy them again just for the convenience of having one console to play them on. If I buy a switch it will have to be for new games that I don't already own. So far there's a lot of great indie stuff and a few interesting things from Nintendo, but I need more to warrant a $600 purchase (including a bunch of games and accessories).

That being said. I really don't get the hate a lot of people seem to have for the Wii U. Calling it a failure and the like. In my opinion it's an excellent system with a ton of great Nintendo games.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ View Post

But I already own Zelda BOTW on Wii U which has better controls than the Switch version.

I also have these games on Wii U which have been ported to Switch or have a sequel that's close to the original:
    • Mario Kart 8 + DLCS
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    • LEGO City under cover
    • Splatoon
    • Super Mario Bros U
    • New Super Luigi U
    • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
    • Super Mario maker
    • A ton of NES/SNES/N64 games. (Not to mention the NES and SNES mini consoles.)

Those games are no good reason for me to buy a Switch. I'm not going to buy them again just for the convenience of having one console to play them on. If I buy a switch it will have to be for new games that I don't already own. So far there's a lot of great indie stuff and a few interesting things from Nintendo, but I need more to warrant a $600 purchase (including a bunch of games and accessories).

That being said. I really don't get the hate a lot of people seem to have for the Wii U. Calling it a failure and the like. In my opinion it's an excellent system with a ton of great Nintendo games.
    Ok, that makes sense. I didn't know you already had all those games for the Wii U, and also I have not heard much hate on the system myself. But I didn't buy it for your exact reasons for the switch, there wasn't any new games I wanted to play to urge me to purchase it. That's why I went from the Wii to the switch for botw.

I do still recommend getting the switch though cause the controls in my personal opinion are a bit better, and the surround sound quality is fantastic. At least this new remake gives you a proper reason to get one ;p

Definitely thinking about getting a Switch. We'll see if we can get it through the budgeting committee somewhere this year

About the controls... nerdy post incoming! The reason I think the WiiU controls are better for Zelda BOTW has everything to do with the controllers:
    Spoiler!

I posted the Pro controllers for both Wii U and Switch, but the following applies to the Wii U tablet and Switch Joy-cons as well. The Wii U controller has the action buttons below the right stick which is the resting position for your thumb making those buttons more easily accessible than the stick. The Switch controller has the right stick and action buttons flipped. This is done to facilitate local multiplayer with the Joy-con controllers that come with the console but they copied it over to the Pro controller as well.

Because of this the main focus of the right part of the Switch controller is the stick. In Zelda BOTW you use the right stick to adjust the camera which you need to do obviously, but it's not something I constantly do. The action buttons I use all the time which is why I prefer having those at the resting position of my right thumb rather than the stick I don't use nearly as much. Also having the action buttons where your thumb rests means you can exert more force on them more easily. This comes in handy when you need to rapidly press different buttons.

I really like the pro controller for Breath of the wild on the switch, but it is very difficult to pull off tricky maneuvers in the Star Fox game Battle for Atlas (awkward finger holds where you have to move the right stick, use an action button, and use a right trigger simultaneously). My preference always goes to the pro controller for games on the switch, but my biggest gripe is that Nintendo routinely forces you to use joy cons for certain games (Pokemon let's go series and Mario party). To me, Joy cons are a novelty controller. It shouldn't be a requirement and you shouldn't be penalized for use such as decreased functionality in Mario Odyssey if using the pro controller.