Looks like they're going to fix Minecraft's combat mechanics

See this reddit thread:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/c...st_new_combat/

A custom Java Edition snapshot to test new combat mechanics

The combat mechanics in Java Edition have been a controversial topic ever since the 1.9 update. We want the mechanics to be the same across all editions, but simply porting Java to Bedrock or vice versa is not taking us forward. We want to find a system that is flexible and works well across all input devices.
    Main issues in Java Edition,

• Too slow for PvP - not exciting enough
    • Damage per second is too low to beat regenerating items
    • Too hard to understand for new players

Main issues in Bedrock,

• Tedious on controller (Legacy editions fixed this)
    • Weapons are very similar
    • Armor is not balanced

This "manually installed Java snapshot" is the first experiment of the new direction of combat mechanics. It's based upon the current Java Edition system, but with the following major changes:

• Overall much faster attacks
    • Attacks only happen when fully charged, even if you spam click
    • You can hold to attack
    • Weapons have different reach (attack range)
    • When you stop attacking, the attack timer will continue charging to 200%
    • At 200% you can perform special attacks (crits, sweeping, knockback) and these attacks have longer reach
    • Sweeping only occurs on swords with the Sweeping enchantment
    • Critical attacks (jump attacks) bypass shields
    • Shields have no warm-up delay
    • Shields also activate when crouching/sneaking
    • If you hit something, the target's "invulnerability timer" will be shorter if you have a quick weapon

Please comment and critique, and give suggestions on where to go from here.
    Installation instructions:

• Download this zip file: https://launcher.mojang.com/experime...bat-212796.zip
    • Unpack the folder into your "versions" folder of your local Minecraft application data folder (see below if you are confused)
    • Create a new launch configuration in the launcher and select the "1_14_combat-212796" version
    • Start the game and the remaining files will be downloaded
    • Play in a new world! This version is not compatible with other snapshots!

Finding the Minecraft application folder:

• Windows: Press Ctrl+R and type %appdata%/.minecraft and press Ok
    • Mac OS X: In Finder, in the Go menu, select "Go to Folder" and enter ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft
    • Linux: ~/.minecraft or /home/<your username>/.minecraft/

Once you have the launcher set up you can download the server files from there as well.
    Cheers!
    Finally!
    Personally I've always hated the 1.9 combat mechanics. I'll take fast paced spam-clicky mechanics anytime

Lazy Idle Couch Potato Heptagon_ru's Avatar
    "Too hard to understand for new players" - right, the new system is much simpler DDDDDDDD
    I watched a video about this, Hermitcraft guys did lot of them, and personally did not see much benefits or significant difference.
    The introduced reach difference seems to be a bad idea - it is impossible to measure if you gonna reach enemy now or not, with all those new reach numbers.
    Anyway I don't do any PvP so definitely miss the significance of this.

I remember jumping into 1.9, or whichever version brought that new combat mechanics, straight from something like 1.2.4 and 1.7. I was already freaked out by the changes (at least boat desync was gone thank god), tbh I am still not confident in PvE. And then phantoms arrived, sweet. Oh and here come another changes, everyday I stray further from the chance to grasp Minecraft mechanics
    My common IGNs: Elbe97 / Elborax / Elbor

THe FouR HoRSeMeN oF THe aPoCaLYPSe: